Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

OK> So i thought after the third go around of changing the seals, or acually replacing the whole unit, the burning smell was gone. Well I think it is back and leaking again. I had to run my heat (defrosters) the other day and within 5 minutes the smell was there. It i going in tomorrow back to the dealership to check if leaking. This will be the 4h time. My question is this.......Where do go fom here if I want to pursue the lemon law? Does the dealership get this final try to fix this, or do I start the paperwork prior to them making their final attempt? I ultimetly want Ford to replace this with an 09 or better Edge that dont leak...Any help would be great.......

Try another dealer - it depends on the skill level of the tech and how closely they follow the procedure. I'd give them one more try, especially if you can try a different dealer.

• 4 weeks later...
The truth is that this problem happens in the winter. I'll let you know after I have gone through another winter to say it is fixed for sure.

Right - because it would be so wrong to point out that Ford changed suppliers for the seal and that repairs so far seem to be working.

oh man lol going to pick up my new 09 SEL AWD tomorrow and I live in CT.....and now I'm hearing this (shakes head)

I did a whole two weeks of Edmunds, Consumer Reports, AAA, and even You Tube to find a good family vehicle. They all gave great reports on the 2009/2010 Edge, with no reports on this PTU smell...or windshield wiper smell, (lol ya I read that post)

Even the consumer write ups were about 97% for a great vehicle. I really do hope I wont get this problem.

What is the actuall number (or %) of people that have this problem in the Northern States compared to people in the Nothern States that dont?

• 2 weeks later...

Its your PTO Seal... its leaking transmission fluid from your transfer case. I just went thru that same thing with my 2010 Edge SEL AWD.. the transmission skips now, but don't bother asking them to fix it, because they won't. I have brought it back 3 times and was told its shifting normally.

I have just under 15 turns on my edge, recently noticed a pungent, burnt rubber smell after I get her warmed up, say 10 minutes on the highway with even a hint of antifreeze or sweetness.

Wife said she thought it was even smoking last night when she pulled it into the garage, but that could easily be mistaken since it has been fairly cold here. Anyhow got a service appointment, scheduled for drop off tomorrow.

I checked the oil, no sign of antifreeze there, no obvious leaks or puddles under the truck, not in the garage or on fresh snow. Resevoir is fine as well. I suppose it is possible whatever is leaking is dripping onto the manifold and burning off? Anyhow, anyone experienced something similar? Just wondering what to expect early next week. I will of course keep you all posted.

No it's isn't red, thank heavens...

Its your PTO Seal... its leaking transmission fluid from your transfer case. I just went thru that same thing with my 2010 Edge SEL AWD.. the transmission skips now, but don't bother asking them to fix it, because they won't. I have brought it back 3 times and was told its shifting normally.

You realize you replied to a post that was 21 months old?

Sounds like you need a new dealer. Also - are you sure it's the PTO? They usually don't fail right away and they don't fail in warm weather. Maybe your dealer misdiagnosed a tranny problem?

It is definitely the PTU, as I looked at the repair order from the dealership and it says PTU seal leaking brown/black fluid. They did put the double seal and deflector on mine, but the transmission is slipping and its taching up really high and shifting rough. I too got the "unable to duplicate concern" on that part of the order. I took the Edge on a test drive with the service manager and he told me that it was shifting roughly, then turned around and said he never said that. I had someone else in the car with me when he said it, so....

My husband flipped out on the GM and suddenly he was nice. Gave me a loaner car, not once but twice. I have not gotten under the car since they supposedly fixed it, but will after spending 2 days reading these posts. I too got a deflector but hada faint smell the other day.

Mine developed after only having 1200 miles on it, and it being less than a month old. I made my first payment on that car while it was in the shop being repaired.

You realize you replied to a post that was 21 months old?

Sounds like you need a new dealer. Also - are you sure it's the PTO? They usually don't fail right away and they don't fail in warm weather. Maybe your dealer misdiagnosed a tranny problem?

It is definitely the PTU, as I looked at the repair order from the dealership and it says PTU seal leaking brown/black fluid. They did put the double seal and deflector on mine, but the transmission is slipping and its taching up really high and shifting rough. I too got the "unable to duplicate concern" on that part of the order. I took the Edge on a test drive with the service manager and he told me that it was shifting roughly, then turned around and said he never said that. I had someone else in the car with me when he said it, so....

My husband flipped out on the GM and suddenly he was nice. Gave me a loaner car, not once but twice. I have not gotten under the car since they supposedly fixed it, but will after spending 2 days reading these posts. I too got a deflector but hada faint smell the other day.

Mine developed after only having 1200 miles on it, and it being less than a month old. I made my first payment on that car while it was in the shop being repaired.

My understanding was this problem was fixed on 09, 10 models. My 09 edge limited AWD has 23000km and no problem. I would go to different dealer and see what they say .....

I am taking it to another ford dealer today because the damn transmission is slipping all over the place and its shifting roughly..Of course they can't duplicate the concern. So going for a second opinion.

I spoke with ford and informed them that I will not be going back 4-5-6 times...3 times and its off to arbitration. Not tolerating this.

My understanding was this problem was fixed on 09, 10 models. My 09 edge limited AWD has 23000km and no problem. I would go to different dealer and see what they say .....

ATTN: ALL POSTERS !!!!

!!!!!!!PLEASE REPORT YOUR PTU PROBLEMS TO: www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ OR CALL (888) 327-4236!!!!!!!!

I am having the same problem and its going to cost over $2,000 to fix because I am out of warranty. If enough complaints are reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration we may be able to generate a recall for the faulty PTU's.

Thanks.

ATTN: ALL POSTERS !!!!

!!!!!!!PLEASE REPORT YOUR PTU PROBLEMS TO: www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ OR CALL (888) 327-4236!!!!!!!!

I am having the same problem and its going to cost over $2,000 to fix because I am out of warranty. If enough complaints are reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration we may be able to generate a recall for the faulty PTU's.

Thanks.

Recalls are for safety issues only. This is not a safety issue. Have you asked the dealer for an AWA (after warranty adjustment)?

Troy from Colorado here again. Unfortunately the double seal kit I had installed back in May didn't seem to last (TSB 09-08-10 and kit 8T4Z*7275*C). Took it into dealer today and they verified a leak again, and it looks like the same kit was used as the last time (8T4Z*7275*C)

I will advise if it leaks again

Recalls are for safety issues only. This is not a safety issue. Have you asked the dealer for an AWA (after warranty adjustment)?

I understand that, but if you look through some of the previous post and on the NHSTA website there has been reports of vehicles rolling backwards, losing power while driving, and who knows the effects the burning fluid fumes have on passengers. If you have any vents on during a leak the odors within the cabin becomes excessive.