Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

It's only 07 and some 08 problem and Ford is repairing them as they go, why law-suite???

Ā 

I bought a 2010 sport 2 days ago on Saturday the 28Th, left the dealership at closing; I did notice a very slight sweet smell in the cab before we left the dealership. Then 10km down the road I stopped and outside the cab could smell somehting like rubber burning. I figured it would be something fairly inert and could be repaired easily on warranty at the dealer. Now I haven't crawled under this vehicle to see if it's leaking at the PTU but I'm thinking their problem has encroached the 2010 models.

I bought a 2010 sport 2 days ago on Saturday the 28Th, left the dealership at closing; I did notice a very slight sweet smell in the cab before we left the dealership. Then 10km down the road I stopped and outside the cab could smell somehting like rubber burning. I figured it would be something fairly inert and could be repaired easily on warranty at the dealer. Now I haven't crawled under this vehicle to see if it's leaking at the PTU but I'm thinking their problem has encroached the 2010 models.

Ā 

Ā 

Hi bender. :D If you read your Owners Manual, you will find that it clearly states that a "burning smell" or other similar odors are normal during the new car break-in period. This is due to the fact that lubricants and other solvents used during the manufacturing process are burning off of the engine. So some odor will be normal.

Ā 

I am not making any judgments as to whether your "sweet" or "rubber burning" smells are normal or due to a defect, since it is impossible for us to diagnose exactly what the odor you are describing is coming from. However, conventional wisdom would state that it is likely just the normal new car burn off, not a defect or leak.

Ā 

Of course, if you see any leaking on the ground or undercarriage, you should make a service appointment. If you have no visible leaking but are still worried, have it checked at your first service visit. Until then, for what it is worth my advice would be to assume the best until you have a reason not to.

Ā 

Let us know the outcome.

Ā 

Good luck with your new Edge. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Ā 

We had a burning smell for nearly a thousand miles and then it just gradually faded out. It turned out to just be the new burning off. Best of luck with yours, we love ours.

I crawled under the new edge and there is no sign of a leak anywhere, so at least the PTU seal is good. Rubber/plastic stench is gone but not the sweet smell, I'm hoping it subsides and is not a heater core leak. I love this vehicle also, I've already got a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta's and winter rims waiting to go on.

Edited by bender

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was waiting to pass judgement. We just got our first cold spell in MT and tonight I noticed the burning rubber smell. Checked the garage floor and sure enough - there's the fluid - again. I'll be calling the dealer to get it in for the 4th attempt at repair. It lasted from March until now, but as I figured it would happen as soon as it got cold outside. I'm going to see what they want to do to rectifiy the situation as I have no hope at all that they will be able to have a permanent repair for my 08.

Well, I was waiting to pass judgement. We just got our first cold spell in MT and tonight I noticed the burning rubber smell. Checked the garage floor and sure enough - there's the fluid - again. I'll be calling the dealer to get it in for the 4th attempt at repair. It lasted from March until now, but as I figured it would happen as soon as it got cold outside. I'm going to see what they want to do to rectifiy the situation as I have no hope at all that they will be able to have a permanent repair for my 08.

Go to different dealer. This problem has been dealt with long time ago....

Go to different dealer. This problem has been dealt with long time ago....

Ā 

Ā 

I think the jury is still out whether this has been fixed or not! (Stike 1 Ford)

Ā 

The problem is weather related and it has been a year since the PTU was serviced on my vehicle. The weather has been warm since then. This winter has been cold and I have already smell the dreaded burning smell - really bad. (25Km or 16k miles).

Ā 

I took the vehicle in for an oil change on Friday and like I do every oil change I have the PTU inspected. This time the dealer said the PTU was crapped up so they cleaned it and will inspect it next time I come in and get the coolant flush. (Strike 2 Ford)

Ā 

So I won't say this problem has been dealt with at all.

Ā 

I will let you know when I am satisfied with the so called fix.

Ā 

Gary

Well, cars in I'll keep you all posted on progress. I also just turned 16k miles on the car. They also had a Taurus X in for a PTU seal and another Edge - not counting mine.

Ā 

Sparky - it isn't just that easy to go to a different dealer for me - this is the only "large" dealer in a 200 mile radius - there are a couple of small town dealers within 40-80 miles, but the next largest dealer(85 miles away) is owned by the same people as mine, so I don't think I'll have much better luck elsewhere. They said they are going to talk to Ford on my issue and we'll see what happens from there.

Hey gang! Need your help please! I've read pretty much all of the posts. I have a 2008 limited AWD and this past Wed. I was driving it and made a stop and white smoke came into the passenger compartment and you could see smoke on the outside of the car. So of course Thurs. we gave it back to the dealer. Still they can't find anything wrong with it. We mentioned the PTU problem and of course they avoided the suggestion. Any suggestions?

Hey gang! Need your help please! I've read pretty much all of the posts. I have a 2008 limited AWD and this past Wed. I was driving it and made a stop and white smoke came into the passenger compartment and you could see smoke on the outside of the car. So of course Thurs. we gave it back to the dealer. Still they can't find anything wrong with it. We mentioned the PTU problem and of course they avoided the suggestion. Any suggestions?

Ā 

Ā 

Hi scuba. :D For what it is worth, this is my advice: First, check under your vehicle for leaking fluids. If you have ramps, pull it onto the ramps so that you can get underneath and inspect the underside of the vehicle for any leakage or streaks. If you find anything, make another appointment and bring it directly to their attention.

Ā 

If you do not feel like getting dirty, go to your local service station and ask them to put it up on the lift so that they (and you) can inspect for leaks. Examine the underside of the engine, radiator and other areas (especially the PTU) for leakage. At most should only cost you $20-$30.

Ā 

Again, if you find anything ask the tech at the service station to give you a receipt noting what is leaking an go back to the Ford Dealer.

Ā 

If you do not want to do that, then try another Dealership.

Ā 

Also, keep in mind that despite what some may believe (or would try to make others believe) leaking PTU units are the exception, not the rule. Do understand that I do have much sympathy for those who have the problem, would not want to be in their shoes and hope their problems are addressed ASAP. However, all things must be kept in proper context.

Ā 

Let us know what you find out.

Ā 

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi scuba. :D For what it is worth, this is my advice: First, check under your vehicle for leaking fluids. If you have ramps, pull it onto the ramps so that you can get underneath and inspect the underside of the vehicle for any leakage or streaks. If you find anything, make another appointment and bring it directly to their attention.

Ā 

If you do not feel like getting dirty, go to your local service station and ask them to put it up on the lift so that they (and you) can inspect for leaks. Examine the underside of the engine, radiator and other areas (especially the PTU) for leakage. At most should only cost you $20-$30.

Ā 

Again, if you find anything ask the tech at the service station to give you a receipt noting what is leaking an go back to the Ford Dealer.

Ā 

If you do not want to do that, then try another Dealership.

Ā 

Also, keep in mind that despite what some may believe (or would try to make others believe) leaking PTU units are the exception, not the rule. Do understand that I do have much sympathy for those who have the problem, would not want to be in their shoes and hope their problems are addressed ASAP. However, all things must be kept in proper context.

Ā 

Let us know what you find out.

Ā 

Ā 

Well, guess what! The Ford dealer finally called back this morning and it is the PTU seal. The dealer actually called Ford and they told them to look there and they did. So now they don't think I'm crazy! We love our Edge and we test drove many other cars and this one handled the best in our price range. We also own a '93 5.0 LX convertible mustang and a '70's convertible mustang that we are refurbishing since we found it in a field rotting away. All we want is for Ford to fix the problem and looks as if they are attempting to do that. Do you think with so many seal's leaking from the PTU they would put a recall out there?

Well, guess what! The Ford dealer finally called back this morning and it is the PTU seal. The dealer actually called Ford and they told them to look there and they did. So now they don't think I'm crazy! We love our Edge and we test drove many other cars and this one handled the best in our price range. We also own a '93 5.0 LX convertible mustang and a '70's convertible mustang that we are refurbishing since we found it in a field rotting away. All we want is for Ford to fix the problem and looks as if they are attempting to do that. Do you think with so many seal's leaking from the PTU they would put a recall out there?

Ā 

Ā 

Hi scuba. :D Glad that the Dealer called you and will seemingly resolve the problem.

Ā 

Just to address the "recall" question. There has been no recall because there is no need for one. It is not like "recalls" have some sort of magical powers. Currently, this is how it works: When an Edge Owners PTU leaks, the Owner smells an odor or sees a leak. They bring it to the Dealer and the Dealer diagnoses and repairs the leak. Problem solved (hopefully). All a recall would do is make a majority of Edge owners who do not have leaking PTU's have to bring their vehicle in for an unnecessary inspection. A lot of wasted time and money (yes, of course cost is involved, as automakers are businesses).

Ā 

To explain it in another way: A recall would change nothing about how the current problem is handled, other than make a lot of Owners who have no PTU problem worry and waste time having their car looked at for no reason, make Dealers waste time looking at a majority of vehicles that will have no problem and make Ford pay for unnecessary vehicle inspections. When an Edge PTU leaks, the owner brings it in and it is repaired. End of story. When taken in context, it makes complete sense.

Ā 

Also, Dealers are already well aware of the PTU issue, as Ford has notified them. Your Dealer simply told you that the PTU was too dirty to identify a possible leak at the time when you brought it in. They may have temporarily dropped the ball, but they picked it back up and called you. So again, a "recall" would accomplish nothing.

Ā 

Again, the number of Edge's with leaking PTU's is a small percentage. Of course on a forum like this, the problem seems larger, because problems are what people mainly talk or ask for advice about here. Just like the Nightly News on Television always seems to be bad news.

Ā 

I am not minimizing the anguish that those with leaking PTU's are going through. I sympathize and would not want to be in their shoes. Simply trying to put things in the proper context and explain the reality of it all.

Ā 

Hope they get it fixed right the first time for you.

Ā 

Again, the number of Edge's with leaking PTU's is a small percentage. Of course on a forum like this, the problem seems larger, because problems are what people mainly talk or ask for advice about here. Just like the Nightly News on Television always seems to be bad news.

Ā 

I am not minimizing the anguish that those with leaking PTU's are going through. I sympathize and would not want to be in their shoes. Simply trying to put things in the proper context and explain the reality of it all.

Ā 

Hope they get it fixed right the first time for you.

Ā 

Do we actually know the percentage? Has anyone seen any real statistics? Obviously it is not just Edges, but also Flex and Taurus awd versions that seem to also have the leaky seal. BTW, most recalls seem to be based on small percentage issues as well. I tend to agree with you that this is not a safety issue and is more of inconvenience. Ford does seem to be trying to fix the problem cars when the leak is present. At what point will a leak cause a long term reliability issue if run low on fluid? Not everyone is diligent about checking levels and paying attention...........

Ā 

My 2008 awd I just bought is going in for the dealer to "inspect". I already know it is the PTU leaking, I checked it myself. Not a bad leak, but it does make the infamous burning smell after a longer drive. Since under warranty, Ford can fix it. I do all my own work on cars generally, but this is a warranty issue that Ford is having troubles with an effective fix.

Ā 

The awd is really good in the snow and bad weather we have had lately. My wife likes the car, I hope the dealer can fix it the first time. Or maybe the nth time depending on prior history, I bought it used. So far the car has been good and no problems except the PTU seal leaking.

Edited by TerryTwoUtes

To add to that - I agree a recall would not benefit that many people in my opinion largely because Ford does not appear to have a permanent solution for the problem. Hopefully they will at some point, and maybe then a recall could happen. You may notice a lot of recalls only effect vehicles that are a few years old whereas our Edges are relatively new. Unfortunately, it seems that if one has the leak, they will continue to have the leak(I believe it is only an issue in cold weather extremes). It will most likely be years before any recall action would be done. In Ford's defense, if they just did a widespread recall and replacement of the seal, it would cost them a lot of money and they would not have solved the problem, but made more people aware of it, thus creating more headaches for them, so it is in their best interest to keep it as low key as possible to avoid the costs and negative publicity of a recall.

Thinline - I agree with you 100% - they should take care of the customer first and foremost. It is the right thing to do, but unfortunately any corporation is going to look only at their bottom line - nothing else. Sad, but true in nearly any corporate giant. I guess it may have sounded like i was making excuses for them, and maybe I was, but yes, in the end they need to get this thing fixed permanently and take care of us customers who have spent thousands of dollars on their product - especially in a bad economy when a lot of other people weren't/aren't buying. I hope more than most they can get a permanent fix for this darn PTU issue as I don't want to ever have to take my Edge back in for a PTU fix, but I currently believe I'm probably in for a 5th, 6th, maybe even 7th visit as I have zero cinfident that they have a solution, or will this year.

Hi guys. :D I also agree that Ford needs to find a permanent and workable solution. They need to design and engineer a seal that solves the problem once and for all in one repair visit.

Ā 

However, what I am pointing out is that a "Recall" does not do that. "Recalls" have no magical powers to fix the problem. Think about it: If you do not want to inconvenience people you do not force 100% of Edge owners to come in for a PTU leak check, when only a small number of them leak. That would only inconvenience every Edge owner. And it certainly does not get the problem corrected any faster for those who do have a PTU leak.

Ā 

That recall would go like this for the majority of Edge Owners: They bring their Edge in and sit there for an hour, only to have the Tech come out and tell them, "Okay, your PTU is fine and you have no leak. Call us if you do". All that does is inconvenience everyone

Ā 

So every Edge owner is inconvenienced, Ford spent unnecessary money (which gets passed on to future buyers, by the way) and no one is any more satisfied than if only those with a PTU problem had their car serviced.

Ā 

If I have a leak in my car, I see or smell the leak and I make an appointment to service my car. I don't need a recall to do that, and it does not help me if those with no leaks are forced to bring their cars in on a "recall".

Ā 

What Ford needs to do is find a solution and apply it to those vehicles that do develop PTU leaks, so that it is fixed the first time.

Ā 

A "Recall" would not accomplish that. And even when a permanent solution involving a properly working seal is found, a recall is still not necessary. You fix it if/when a customer has a problem. You don't call in 100% of Edge's to fix 10% of them (or whatever the defect percentage may be).

Ā 

To look at it another way, you don't tear apart 100% of Edge PTU's, when the majority of them have no current leaking problem and will have no future leaking problem. And you don't know which ones may have the problem until they leak.

Ā 

Again, I have the utmost sympathy for those with leaking PTU's, I am only trying to explain the "Recall" subject from a different perspective.

Ā 

Hope this makes my point of view clearer.

Ā 

How much is to much to take??? I asked the dealer if it was safe for me to drive my car and they said yes. On the paperwork it says" Order seal for front axle" is this the same thing as the PTU?

Well today, I pick up my 5 yrs from school and taking her to her afternoon activities and all of sudden I hit some traffic and the darn thing is smoking badly again...in the inside and out - Had to open my Vista roof to get fresh air in 32 degree weather! My concern is my little one I can deal with the nuisance but, not to subject my kid to it!!! As for a new Edge owner ....my car has 25,000miles on it and it has already been in the shop for....1.Sensor bad - camshaft position, 2. Solenoid - engine variable tim (replace both cam phasers) 3. Rubbing noise happening on the rear tires (so they machined my rear rotors of course at my expense) 4. Clicking noise on the front tires 5. Popping noise every time I hit the brakes (whether it be a gradual brake or hard) 6. Smoke smell (found nothing) 7. Smoke smell and smoking (found nothing) 3. Smoke smell and white smoke coming into cabin (waiting on part) which, they say Ford has but, they aren't releasing them. So when is enough??? By the way I own a '93 5.0 LX convertible mustang - That machine has been good to me! I just can't drive it in the snow!!! That is our nice weather baby....poor thing just sits in the garage over the winter months. I'm just frustrated b/c we forked out some money for our Limited AWD 2008 and we get this?????

im having a hard time telling if i have this issue, i just but an 08 edge sel, with 20k miles on it used from a dealer, not certified.

Ā 

About 20 minutes into my morning commute on the highway i get this very mild sulferic eggy smell, maybe a little sewagey, or like an over heated electrical motor? its so mild that its hard to tell if its there or if its the newish car smell, im a smoker so my sense of smell isnt the best, but i dont smoke in the car.

Ā 

Will you see a little smoke from under the hood, or does it only come in the cabin, also is the smell as i described, so many people have there own way of describing smells that i dont know if its comparable?

Ā 

i got the car on friday, not only is the windshield all scratched up that i could only see at night (i test drove during the day) but now this smell thing....i dont know what i got my self into do i?

im having a hard time telling if i have this issue, i just but an 08 edge sel, with 20k miles on it used from a dealer, not certified.

Ā 

About 20 minutes into my morning commute on the highway i get this very mild sulferic eggy smell, maybe a little sewagey, or like an over heated electrical motor? its so mild that its hard to tell if its there or if its the newish car smell, im a smoker so my sense of smell isnt the best, but i dont smoke in the car.

Ā 

Will you see a little smoke from under the hood, or does it only come in the cabin, also is the smell as i described, so many people have there own way of describing smells that i dont know if its comparable?

Ā 

i got the car on friday, not only is the windshield all scratched up that i could only see at night (i test drove during the day) but now this smell thing....i dont know what i got my self into do i?

Ā 

Ā 

Hi jourabchid. :D No, a "sulfuric eggy smell" is from the catalytic converter and is not uncommon in modern cars. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it does not, but it would not be due to the PTU leak issue.

Ā 

In addition, it is also possible that the odor is not coming from your car, but from another car in front of you on the road. Try setting the HVAC system to "Recirculate' to help keep outside odors outside. See if that helps.

Ā 

Also, you do not mention whether your Edge is FWD or AWD. Only the AWD Edge's have the leaking PTU problem (and a small percentage of them besides). So if you have a FWD Edge, forget about leaking PTU worries.

Ā 

A leaking PTU is easy to diagnose. You will either have fluid drips on your driveway, or you can have the car put on the lift and check for leaks/running/drips around the PTU. It is a simple check-up.

Ā 

And if you have an AWD Edge and see any PTU leakage, take it back to the Dealer immediately and ask them to repair it. Even with a non-certified vehicle purchase, you still have certain rights concerning the driveability of a vehicle when it is purchased from a Dealer.

Ā 

In addition, if your windshield is scratched, that is due to the previous owner/owners. Since you purchased used, you certainly can not blame Ford for that. Not saying you definitely are, I only mention that due to you stating "I don't know what I go myself into".

Ā 

But again, a sulfuric acid, rotten egg smell is the catalytic converter. Take your car to the Dealer and ask them to see if the engine management system may need a little fine tuning.

Ā 

Let us know how you make out.

Ā 

Edited by bbf2530

thanks for the info, yeah it's awd. I get a hint of electronic burn in there and saw a lol white smoke coming from the front of the car.

Ā 

I'm at the dealer now getting an oil change a sync update and the smell diagnosed.

Ā 

They said they could do anything about the windshield, just sucks I'll have to drop 300 or so more, I know it's not their fault bit it's kind of shady advertising, oh well

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Hi jourabchid. :D No, a "sulfuric eggy smell" is from the catalytic converter and is not uncommon in modern cars. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it does not, but it would not be due to the PTU leak issue.

Ā 

In addition, it is also possible that the odor is not coming from your car, but from another car in front of you on the road. Try setting the HVAC system to "Recirculate' to help keep outside odors outside. See if that helps.

Ā 

Also, you do not mention whether your Edge is FWD or AWD. Only the AWD Edge's have the leaking PTU problem (and a small percentage of them besides). So if you have a FWD Edge, forget about leaking PTU worries.

Ā 

A leaking PTU is easy to diagnose. You will either have fluid drips on your driveway, or you can have the car put on the lift and check for leaks/running/drips around the PTU. It is a simple check-up.

Ā 

And if you have an AWD Edge and see any PTU leakage, take it back to the Dealer immediately and ask them to repair it. Even with a non-certified vehicle purchase, you still have certain rights concerning the driveability of a vehicle when it is purchased from a Dealer.

Ā 

In addition, if your windshield is scratched, that is due to the previous owner/owners. Since you purchased used, you certainly can not blame Ford for that. Not saying you definitely are, I only mention that due to you stating "I don't know what I go myself into".

Ā 

But again, a sulfuric acid, rotten egg smell is the catalytic converter. Take your car to the Dealer and ask them to see if the engine management system may need a little fine tuning.

Ā 

Let us know how you make out.

Ā