Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

thanks for the info, yeah it's awd. I get a hint of electronic burn in there and saw a lol white smoke coming from the front of the car.

I'm at the dealer now getting an oil change a sync update and the smell diagnosed.

They said they could do anything about the windshield, just sucks I'll have to drop 300 or so more, I know it's not their fault bit it's kind of shady advertising, oh well

UPDATE: the ptu is leaking and they have the stuff to fix it, but ford advised them not to replace because they have issued a new fix for it, new ptu design and they should have them in by the 1st of the year.

So I'll deal with the stench until then.

jourabchid,

Please see if you can get more info about the new design for us - is it a newly designed PTU, or just a new seal? I'd personally like to know to see if it is the same info that my dealer is giving me. Here's to hoping they finally have a fix after 2 years of the problem(I doubt it though). Kind of funny Ford advised them not to fix it with the current seals - they actually admit they don't have a way to correct the problem right there.

jourabchid,

Please see if you can get more info about the new design for us - is it a newly designed PTU, or just a new seal? I'd personally like to know to see if it is the same info that my dealer is giving me. Here's to hoping they finally have a fix after 2 years of the problem(I doubt it though). Kind of funny Ford advised them not to fix it with the current seals - they actually admit they don't have a way to correct the problem right there.

They didnt really know any information

The TSB on the service order is 092507

unrelated, the 2.1 sync update is nice, my accelleration seems to be much smoother since they had to update the ECM...

Edited by jourabchid

They didnt really know any information

The TSB on the service order is 092507

unrelated, the 2.1 sync update is nice, my accelleration seems to be much smoother since they had to update the ECM...

Some 2007-2010 Edge, MKX, 2008-2009 Taurus-X, Sable 2008-2010 Taurus, 2009-2010 Flex and MKS and 2010 MKT vehicles may experience a fluid leak at the power transfer unit (PTU) right hand (RH) intermediate shaft seal. The online Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 308-07B has been updated with new tools and service procedures to assist with resolving leaks in this area. In addition, two (2) new seal kits were developed and depending on the location of the leak must be used to prevent repeat repairs.

This tsb came out on the 15th. It is for a new seal kit and installion procedure, not a new ptu.

Also this is part of the TSB

It is necessary to use the updated version of the online WSM, Section 308-07B to perform the actual repair. The service procedure has been updated with new and improved service tools specified. Failing to follow the WSM to perform this repair will result in repeat PTU leaks. Never remove the deflector by use of a pry bar or chisel this will result in damage to the input shaft PTU hub and/or PTU housing. It is very important to properly heat the new deflector to the desired temperature specifications called out in the WSM, prior to installation. Never attempt to heat the deflector on the PTU assembly to seat it, seal damage will result. When the new deflector is properly seated it will be recessed 1/8" - 3/16" (3-5 mm) into the PTU pocket. (Figure 4)

It is more of an installation problem it seems than a parts problem.

Edited by druck52

Do we actually know the percentage? Has anyone seen any real statistics? Obviously it is not just Edges, but also Flex and Taurus awd versions that seem to also have the leaky seal. BTW, most recalls seem to be based on small percentage issues as well. I tend to agree with you that this is not a safety issue and is more of inconvenience. Ford does seem to be trying to fix the problem cars when the leak is present. At what point will a leak cause a long term reliability issue if run low on fluid? Not everyone is diligent about checking levels and paying attention...........

My 2008 awd I just bought is going in for the dealer to "inspect". I already know it is the PTU leaking, I checked it myself. Not a bad leak, but it does make the infamous burning smell after a longer drive. Since under warranty, Ford can fix it. I do all my own work on cars generally, but this is a warranty issue that Ford is having troubles with an effective fix.

The awd is really good in the snow and bad weather we have had lately. My wife likes the car, I hope the dealer can fix it the first time. Or maybe the nth time depending on prior history, I bought it used. So far the car has been good and no problems except the PTU seal leaking.

Update, replaced PTU seal with kit 8T4Z-7275-C. Talked with the service tech, this kit replaces the inner deflector and the seals. Checked my vehicle history and this is the first PTU seal replacement. Car has 35K miles on it. I bought it used just recently.

My '07 SEL AWD developed the leaking PTU problem in January of '08 at around 14k on the odometer.

At that time, my local Ford guy said that they were seeing a number of '07s and new '08s coming in with leaking seals. I remembered him telling me that the repair was "process critical", i.e., if the service tech didn't follow procedures, there was a likelihood of repeat failure and leakage.

In talking to some of my Ford powertrain engineering contacts, it appears that a high percentage of service techs either didn't follow procedure as detailed in the TSB, either because they didn't know or their dealership hadn't up-dated. Supposedly this is a Volvo designed PTU?

I'm now at 39k on the odometer and the first seal repair is still holding.

Well,

got the Edge back after 4th repair yesterday (with the new seal and tool)- stunk all the way home so bad my eyes burned - worst it has ever been. I'm hoping it is just oil burning off from the repair procedure, but since that hasn't happened any time in the other 3 attempts, I really expect to find a puddle under it this morning. I'll let you know if we are going back for the 5th repair or not. I have no faith that it will last. Will keep you guys posted.

Merry Christmas anyway!

Well,

got the Edge back after 4th repair yesterday (with the new seal and tool)- stunk all the way home so bad my eyes burned - worst it has ever been. I'm hoping it is just oil burning off from the repair procedure, but since that hasn't happened any time in the other 3 attempts, I really expect to find a puddle under it this morning. I'll let you know if we are going back for the 5th repair or not. I have no faith that it will last. Will keep you guys posted.

Merry Christmas anyway!

Hi. I'm new here -- only BECAUSE I purchased '08 Ltd. AWD 28 days ago (19,718 miles) -- searched "smoking and smoke coming inside" leaking transmission fluid after I've put 200 miles on it -- sure enough, PTU -- backordered. I WISH I HAD DONE RESEARCH BEFORE BUYING :banghead: -- haven't owned a Ford since '84 -- and it was a piece of crap. Nothing but Toyota's for me since '87. Love the Edge comfort and style, (friend works at Ford and convinced me) but WILL NOT continue taking this car back again and again for replacement of this seal. I am surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit against Ford for this or something -- even though warranty covered -- you are talking about close to a $40,000 vehicle and from sound of the "fix" Ford has come up with is like my using duct tape to fix a water leak under my sink!! I so wanted to buy American being proud supporting American business -- but already I am disappointed and feel like I just should have spent the extra $$ and bought a VENZA! Working and and trying to go back to school at 50+ -- I really do not need the headache.

Happy 2010 to all!

I hear what you are saying.

I spent money that I need for retirement on my Ford Edge hoping it would last well into my retirement. One year after the purchase I thinking how can I dump this vehicle.

I would like permission to reprint your post at my web site?

Smokin Edge

Edited by garyedwardsmith

I hear what you are saying

I spent money that I need for retirement on my Ford Edge hoping it would last well into my retirement. One year after the purchase I thinking how can I dump this vehicle.

Smokin Edge

08 awd 31k miles no smell no problems.

You should see the trouble a friend of mine had with his Trail Blazer.

Just saying cars today are a complex piece of machinery and Parts will fail.

It seems that I am joinging the esteemed ranks of a leaky PTO club. I have 13,500 mi on an 08 SEL. Took it down to Florida this past summer, and was a pleasure to ride in. Now, we have some snow and it seems that the cold weather exacerbated the leak. The day before I took the car for an oil change, I first thought the smell/smoke was some residual oil spillage. Then, after sitting in the snow, noticed the red fluid leaking from the seal of the passenger drive axel. I topped off the fluid, and it seemed to leak even more. even with the car off. I am having the roadside service tow it to the dealer tomorrow - I do not want to risk damage to the transmission with a 25 min. ride.

For others that experienced this recently, is there any better fix provided yet? I am reading older post with 4-5 trips to the service department, along with long wait times for parts. What should I explicitly tell the service department? New Seal or shaft or entire PTU? Ugh!' Thanks

I'm sorry to hear this.

I believe that all of us who have experienced this need to keep pressure on Ford to resolve this problem.

While Ford seems to be attempting to fix this problem, it is not clear to me they have a definitive fix.

This is why we see some people having to be back many times.

I have no vested interest in seeing this resolved other than I want my vehicle fixed.

If you want to share your experience, I appreciate if you post to my blog.

Gary Smith

Smokin Edge

The truth is that this problem happens in the winter. I'll let you know after I have gone through another winter to say it is fixed for sure.

Definetly a winter thing! back in April, I had a third seal replaces. Thought this fixed my problem as I had not had any burning smell. Well I was wrong! Two weeks ago, the smell is definetly back! Brought the car into the dealer today and they confirmed that it is definetly leaking again! They have ordered another axle and seal and will try to repair for the 4th time. This will be the last time I will attempt to have this fixed. Does anyone know where I go from here to start paperwork on the vehicle to persue the lemon law ? I need as much guidance as possible as I am extremely frustrated! Thanks!

Definetly a winter thing! back in April, I had a third seal replaces. Thought this fixed my problem as I had not had any burning smell. Well I was wrong! Two weeks ago, the smell is definetly back! Brought the car into the dealer today and they confirmed that it is definetly leaking again! They have ordered another axle and seal and will try to repair for the 4th time. This will be the last time I will attempt to have this fixed. Does anyone know where I go from here to start paperwork on the vehicle to persue the lemon law ? I need as much guidance as possible as I am extremely frustrated! Thanks!

Hi vs08. :D I hope they can repair it correctly this time.

If they can not...the instructions on how to proceed are listed in the Warranty Guide that you were given when you purchased. There is actually an arbitration process through the BBB (BBB Auto Line Program ) that owners can use first if they wish. My understanding is that it is a very beneficial process for vehicle owners to use.

Anyway, if you can not find your Warranty Guide, you can download a PDF version here: LINK: Owner Guides Simply input your vehicle information into the drop down boxes and click "Submit". Then click on "Warranty Guide". The page numbers to access the procedures for the BBB Auto Line Program and Lemon Law problems are listed in the table of contents.

I hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

If they can not...the instructions on how to proceed are listed in the Warranty Guide that you were given when you purchased. There is actually an arbitration process through the BBB (BBB Auto Line Program ) that owners can use first if they wish. My understanding is that it is a very beneficial process for vehicle owners to use.

Anyway, if you can not find your Warranty Guide, you can download a PDF version here: LINK: Owner Guides Simply input your vehicle information into the drop down boxes and click "Submit". Then click on "Warranty Guide". The page numbers to access the procedures for the BBB Auto Line Program and Lemon Law problems are listed in the table of contents.

Would anybody know which dealership is good to fix the PTU leak here in Mississauga or west Toronto? I think my 09 LTD is occasionally dripping on the muffler..

Hey gang! Just wanted to give an update on the axle seal. The Ford dealer called today and said they finally have the new part from Ford and they will fix my car this upcoming Friday. In addition, the transmission has started to slip. We have filed a complaint through the auto line BBB, through Ford corp (which said they would contact us back by tomorrow - we will see if they call us back) I love the car I just wish it didn't have the problems it is having. As a matter of fact the other day I was heading to college to purchase my books and it was a pretty snowy icy day and I had no problems with the AWD other than it being a little stinky. As a matter of fact my car went like there was no snow at all and the poor car behind me wiped out badly! So we will see what will happen next. I'll keep you guys posted.

'08 Limited AWD with 26k.

Thanks for the info. I think I will write a letter to Ford tomorrow and put them on notice and see where it goes from there,,,

Thanks for the info. I think I will write a letter to Ford tomorrow and put them on notice and see where it goes from there,,,

I called Ford today and "put them on notice" that My PTU has leaked for now the 4th and final time! They will be having someone from the customer service dept. call me within 2 day. Will update :)

Car's been at the dealer since Monday morning(now Thursday nite) Roadside Assistance towed it in. The red tranny fluid left behind in my driveway on the snow made it look like a crime scene. So the service manager is still waiting to get approval to change the entire PTU. I was told the seals are on backorder with no anticipated delivery date. I hopre the new unit is a "newly" made one, not the older POS. So, they have no loaners available(so they say) and i doubt Ford will allow a rental - shoudl I withold 1/4 of my payment to Ford Motor Credit for this lost week???

Car's been at the dealer since Monday morning(now Thursday nite) Roadside Assistance towed it in. The red tranny fluid left behind in my driveway on the snow made it look like a crime scene. So the service manager is still waiting to get approval to change the entire PTU. I was told the seals are on backorder with no anticipated delivery date. I hopre the new unit is a "newly" made one, not the older POS. So, they have no loaners available(so they say) and i doubt Ford will allow a rental - shoudl I withold 1/4 of my payment to Ford Motor Credit for this lost week???

Withholding payment will only affect your credit rating. They don't care. Basically after you have bought a Ford POS Product you have little recourse as a customer.

In the words of AC/DC "They Got You by the Balls" My link

SmokinEdge