Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

Car's been at the dealer since Monday morning(now Thursday nite) Roadside Assistance towed it in. The red tranny fluid left behind in my driveway on the snow made it look like a crime scene. So the service manager is still waiting to get approval to change the entire PTU. I was told the seals are on backorder with no anticipated delivery date. I hopre the new unit is a "newly" made one, not the older POS. So, they have no loaners available(so they say) and i doubt Ford will allow a rental - shoudl I withold 1/4 of my payment to Ford Motor Credit for this lost week???

I would call Ford Customer Service and discuss the situation. They are definetly aware of the PTU problem. They may help you with a rental or some other compensation. Good Luck!

So I was able to get a loaner from the dealer Saturday. Yesterday(monday, 1 week from tow in) the dealer calls me to tell me that Ford will be shipping the redesigned seals Friday, and I should have the car back Monday. I did call Ford customer service last Friday - I wonder if that prodded anything? The service manager also said that he had the old seal kit in stock, but he did not want to put that piece in, for obvious reasons. So hopefully this new redesigned seal is the solution.

So it seems my call to Ford might have helped. The new redesigned seal kits were shipped out Monday, and I got my car back today(Thursday). There is a TSB for this the repair slips states fixed as per TSB 09-25-07. Anyone see that tsb?

Edited by John223

So it seems my call to Ford might have helped. The new redesigned seal kits were shipped out Monday, and I got my car back today(Thursday). There is a TSB for this the repair slips states fixed as per TSB 0-25-07. Anyone see that tsb?

After you got your car back did you notice any smell or anything different?? I'm going for my "analysis" next Thursday...

After you got your car back did you notice any smell or anything different?? I'm going for my "analysis" next Thursday...

Too soon to tell. However when the seal went originally it was a fairly significant leak. Leaked out 1 qt of fluid in a 2 mi ride from the parts store, hence I had roadside tow it in. My $0.02 - let the service department know that you know this is a design problem and you have read up on it. Ask them for a loaner because it will take time to get the part and approval. Not necessarily the service dealer's fault. Do not hesitate to call Ford as well - they know all too well it is an issue.

Edited by John223

Too soon to tell. However when the seal went originally it was a fairly significant leak. Leaked out 1 qt of fluid in a 2 mi ride from the parts store, hence I had roadside tow it in. My $0.02 - let the service department know that you know this is a design problem and you have read up on it. Ask them for a loaner because it will take time to get the part and approval. Not necessarily the service dealer's fault. Do not hesitate to call Ford as well - they know all too well it is an issue.

Had mine done today, brought it in at 8:00 am was given a loaner to use. Got a call around 1:00pm, job completed. The dealer told me its always the right PTU seals. I had no burning smell on the way home. The part number and tsb is on the paper work, I will post it when I remember to grab it from the car.

Had mine done today, brought it in at 8:00 am was given a loaner to use. Got a call around 1:00pm, job completed. The dealer told me its always the right PTU seals. I had no burning smell on the way home. The part number and tsb is on the paper work, I will post it when I remember to grab it from the car.

Would love to know the part number ! I dropped my vehicle back at the dealership last Wednesday, part was to be shipped from Ford on friday. Today is Wednesday (1 week later) and still no part arrived..Not a happy camper! 4th and final try for this fix!!!

• Like 1

i am having this done as we speak...

im bored and waiting in the custome lounge....if you can call it that....

limited wifi sux0rz...

i will post back with the official part number this afternoon.

Update:

It took 3.5 hours

quoted from the paper work, my info is a little different, but not much.

Cause: Replace Intermediate Shaft Seal as per TSB 092507A = Replace Intermediate Shaft Seal

TSB 62372 W

1 - 8T4Z*7275*DC Kit - Seal

1 - *5qMC* Mercon V Bulk

FC: L85 D8

Part# 8T4Z*7275*DC

Edited by jourabchid

MY FORD EDGE burned out 3 days ago. . The fire didn't started at the motor . I got home at 4 in the morning , i went to sleep and about 30 minutes later i heard the alarm. Im not smoking and i didn't keep any flamabel thing in the car . Anybody hear anytHing like this? Or there is a history of burning EDGE'S in the US?

I got mine back today as well, my 09 had occasional leak. The bill sad $32.00 for the seals.

It's been 3 days without the smell...now the temperature dropped to -4 and still no smell. Would that mean that Ford found the right fix for the leaking PTUs?

Still too early to celebrate I guess. This weekend suppose to be even colder so I will comment next week...

:rockon:

It's been 3 days without the smell...now the temperature dropped to -4 and still no smell. Would that mean that Ford found the right fix for the leaking PTUs?

Still too early to celebrate I guess. This weekend suppose to be even colder so I will comment next week...

:rockon:

It may be a bit too early to tell, however, given the low temp and timeframe since you have had the Edge back. You may be ok. A definitive answer will come through the test of time, but lets hope that Ford got it right this time. :hyper:

Troy from Colorado here again

Just got back from the dealer - this is the third time my wife's Edge had a leak. The first two kits installed were 8T4Z*7275*C, and that one obviously wasn't working so I put my bid in for the latest kit last month. The dealer finally got them in and I had the new kit installed today, I think it's item number 8T4Z*7275*DC but I could be wrong. It definitely has a 'DC' on the end of it.

We'll see if this one holds.

Edited by curio

Troy from Colorado here again

Just got back from the dealer - this is the third time my wife's Edge had a leak. The first two kits installed were 8T4Z*7275*C, and that one obviously wasn't working so I put my bid in for the latest kit last month. The dealer finally got them in and I had the new kit installed today, I think it's item number 8T4Z*7275*DC but I could be wrong. It definitely has a 'DC' on the end of it.

We'll see if this one holds.

Mine had "CC" at the end, that's weird. Maybe it means front or back ...

:happy feet:

After driving this weekend in -10 temperature I did not notice any smell of the leaking PTU seals. I did mostly highway driving and stop and go in the city. That is the perfect condition if the seals were supposed to leak, but nothing. I hoping this is it, this is the fix for the long going problem with the PTU. Now question is, is it going to last for years? Time will tell but so far good job Ford....

If you bring your car into the dealership, it might be a seal or gasket that is leaking on the so called transfer case onto the exhuast. They have een working on mine for a while. A gasget / seal wont fix it. A new transfer case needs to be ordered. Its a sweet thick smell. Its the transfer case leaking some good fluids. Havem check it out. Didnt know that many people have this problem. Ford is aware of it and they stated to replaced the transfer case after my car has been in the shop for almost a good month. GREAT TIMES.

I have the same smell inside my Edge, I called the dealer and they said it is could be a seal leaking on the exhaust. Which seaI don't know. I will let you know after it is serviced.

Got the seal(s) replaced last Friday. No details on warranty document. Supposedly the latest version which was why I had to wait. Could smell burning oil after the 35km drive home at -15C. This time it smelt more like engine oil than the fairly distinct smell I had before. Went for a drive Saturday am at -22C, when stopped could smell burning oil and back at house could see smoke when I looked underneath. Could see oil on a big black rubber gasket/spacer. Sunday am at -15 burning smell almost gone. Monday -18 back 35 km to dealer. Almost no smell when stopped. Dealer was very good, had vehicle up on hoist within 10 minutes and let me show tech where I saw the oil coming from. Tech advised that when he removed the old seal, oil went everywhere and the residue that he could not clean-up was what I was seeing and smelling. Seal did look clean, but vechicle had been on the hoist before I was called out to the shop. Trend of decreasing smell would agree with explanation. So we will see what happens over the next while and keep everyone posted. Dealer was good providing a loner.