Ford warranty denies vista roof

j0nblayz

Hey guys, bought a brand new 2013 sport from the dealership. Even bought their maintenance package thinking i was gonna keep this car forever.

So few months ago, i brought my car in for a usual maintenance service, i mentioned also few issues that needed to be fixed.

To name a few

- rattle in the roof by the middle bar under the vista roof

- passenger interior door handle pushed in

- rattle in trunk

- fuel pump very loud

- few more

Anyways get a call, they need to replace the sunroof seal, i was thinking this is not even where its rattling but sure. Takes them days to get the part in. Finally get the car back, they straight out forgot to fix few issues, didn't even try to say they ran out of time, just straight out forget. And the sunroof rattle is still there, but this time my sunroof is totally not aligned when closed. So i complained to the manager who kept saying its normal. Had to go out to their lot to take pics to prove to him its not.

So after complaining for a while, they finally book me in again to fix the sunroof. Get it back still not aligned. Says they need to order another seal, which is gonna take a week and they will call. 3 weeks pass by, no calls still so i call them, and surprise the parts been sitting there the whole time. Bring my car in again, and now they call me saying i need a secondary seal to be replaced. This will take another week.

So month goes by this time, no calls. So i call them again, part still not in. Complain to manager. What do you know, part arrives next day. Anyways, they bring my car in again to align sunroof, this time my sunroof looks when too pushed down, as if they tighten something too much. But was better than before, didn't want them to touch it again so i left. And worst part of it all, the still didn't fix my rattle.

Anyways a month goes by, i bring my car in for oil change. I pick it up and drove it right home. Hour after i take the car out to go to the gym, and on the road out of no where, BAM the sunroof explodes!. Sounded like a shotgun went off in my ear, small glass pieces go everywhere. And i look up and the whole outer edge of the sunroof was gone. No cars around when this happened.

Drove right back to the dealership to complain, their team lead takes a look and says he needs to take some pics to send to ford canada to get approval for warranty. No big deal.

I get a call from him next day, ford denied my warranty, i was like WHAT!!!??

I call ford canada right away, get some customer service rep who tells me i can't even complain about warranty issue, says only dealers can talk to the warranty dept. I was like, how do i complain about the dealership? i think it may be to their workmanship, they tried to fix my sunroof multiple times. Guy tells me i can't appeal my issue to them. I lose it on the guy and demanded his team lead, manager, anyone he reports to, to call me back.

Couple days go by, get a call from ford canada manager. She tells me the same thing, ford canada warranty dept will not talk to customers directly. I need to talk to dealership. I was like wtf, how the hell do i tell dealership, "hey i think you screwed up on my car, can you tell warranty dept you screwed up?". So she says from what she can see, the report shows i was hit by a rock, i was like what da hell. First of all how does a rock appear out of no where, second of all, how can a rock blow out only the exterior edge of the sunroof and not leave a hole anywhere in the middle area. Luckly my kids were not in the car, if they were i wouldeve lost it even more. I ask her, how does ford sell this edge as a family safe suv, when the sunroof just explodes out of nowhere, ask her if she was me if she would put her kids in the car. She wouldn't either she says. I was like great even she thinks this car is not safe. She says more people need to complain and if enough people complain they will look into the issue and maybe do a recall. No help at all, worst service ever.

So i talk to the GM at dealership, luckly GM knows my wife and myself, was willing to help out with the bill. Was gonna cost $2000, but got it down to $1400. GM and team lead really helped out though to get my car back real quick this time, very thankful.

If ford atleast proved to me that a rock hit it, then i would be more understanding. But not even sending someone to review the sunroof and claiming a rock hit it from few pictures is just not good customer service. Infact, even talking to their warranty dept would've gave me some peace about this whole ordeal, but nope.

Would i ever buy a ford again? HELLS No. i have never dealt with head office that would not help out a customer. I previously drove a BMW, and what a different in service from dealership all the way to head office. Not once i had to call head office to complain, dealership went out of their way to help a customer out to complain to head office. My car was even out of warranty, and they still helped out by goodwill'ing few expensive jobs. Made the choice to switch to ford thinking it was more reliable. Big mistake.

Edited by j0nblayz

Just curious if after they worked on your sunroof numerous times, what kind of job they did this time? Do things appear better aligned and the roof sitting how it is supposed to?

I would think and hope that with documented faulty repair work, Ford would have accepted the fact that the dealership was probable at fault and should have OK-ed the repair under warranty.

Just my opinion but I have to agree with you based on what you said and posted.

Edited by ls973800

to be honest, i lost all hope in ford canada. With what i can see Tricia probably can't help since she deals with US not canada. I don't have high hopes for ford after going thru so many issues. I didn't list everything I've have gone thru trying to fix the issues. All i can say is that i still have the some of the same issues i originally complained about but i just gave up hope. For example the passenger door handle, they tried fixing 2 times, still pushed it, i gave up on that. Trunk rattle, they never ended up fixing it first time, so i ended up fixing it myself. Rattle in rear seat, they couldn't fix, i had to take apart the seat and put padding under the mounts. Fuel pump noise, had to bring it in i think 3 times before they admitted there was an issue. I had a gas leak in the fuel tank, they wanted me to continue driving for 10 days until the new tank came in, lol. Said its only leaking little bit, that one i got so mad and ended up finally getting a loaner from them after putting complaints in. Manager doesn't even acknowledge me anymore when i go there, lol. And thru all these issues, i never got pissed or lost my temper. Always kept it calm and respectful. Worst part, i said all these things to ford canada, they didn't even care. That is what i call great service, lol. Must be very different in US, here ford customer support is almost a hotline to complain and goes no where.

Regarding the sunroof. Seems to be pushed in still, maybe a bit more than before. Scared the sunroof is gonna explode again since its still pushed in. Im no sunroof export, but if the last issue was due to pressure and it was pushed in, i think it might happen again. Haven't put my kids in the back since i got the suv back. Been taking our other vehicle if we have to drive the kids. Sad part is, this is my first brand new vehicle i have ever bought, the previous cars were always certified used from BMW. What an experience. Don't get me wrong, i do love the edge alot, its an amazing looking vehicle. I just can't stand the service i get from dealership or ford canada, they all treat me like i bought some cheap used $1000 car. i will never ever spend another $50000 on a ford after my experience.

Edited by j0nblayz

The only way Ford would know a rock hit it is based on what the dealership said or showed them. It's possible that the dealership screwed up (based on the previous botched repair attempts) but did not want to foot the bill so they said a rock hit it so they could blame Ford for denying the warranty claim. So now instead of fixing it for free they're making you pay $1400 and making you think they're doing you a favor making Ford the bad guy.

It's also possible a rock did hit it prior to the glass exploding and it was a delayed reaction.

Ford has replaced glass under similar circumstances before so it's not like they have a policy of denying such claims under normal circumstances.

The only way Ford would know a rock hit it is based on what the dealership said or showed them. It's possible that the dealership screwed up (based on the previous botched repair attempts) but did not want to foot the bill so they said a rock hit it so they could blame Ford for denying the warranty claim. So now instead of fixing it for free they're making you pay $1400 and making you think they're doing you a favor making Ford the bad guy.

It's also possible a rock did hit it prior to the glass exploding and it was a delayed reaction.

Ford has replaced glass under similar circumstances before so it's not like they have a policy of denying such claims under normal circumstances.

hey akirby, good to know. Dealership acted like they only sent pics and nothing else, but what your saying makes more sense.

There are certain patterns that show up in glass when it shatters from stress or a defect as opposed to an impact. This is usually obvious if you know what you're looking for. So either Ford saw those patterns and said something hit it or the dealership is lying. Unfortunately it's difficult to find out the truth unless you were able to take it to a different dealer to have them check it.

This is the problem with dealers being independent businesses and not Ford owned.

Only thing you can do is check with Ford and make sure they actually got the pictures and denied the claim but as you found out that's dificult.

Hey guys, bought a brand new 2013 sport from the dealership. Even bought their maintenance package thinking i was gonna keep this car forever.

So few months ago, i brought my car in for a usual maintenance service, i mentioned also few issues that needed to be fixed...

Hello j0nblayz,

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service rep. Let me do some research on your concern. Please private message (PM) me your VIN, mileage, dealer name, and I’ll take a look.

Just curious if after they worked on your sunroof numerous times, what kind of job they did this time? Do things appear better aligned and the roof sitting how it is supposed to?

I would think and hope that with documented faulty repair work, Ford would have accepted the fact that the dealership was probable at fault and should have OK-ed the repair under warranty.

Just my opinion but I have to agree with you based on what you said and posted.

I know you have been through it with Ford Canada already, but maybe Tricia (FordService on here) can help out? This dealership experience was pure rottenness and should not have happened to you.

It's hit and miss, but I had one issue that I escalated to US service (I'm in Canada) and got some action. So, give it a try, what have you got to lose?

Hey guys,

Thanks for the mention, and the great advice/suggestions.

Have a great day! :)

Tricia

Forgot to add another thing, I was getting so frustrated with the ford Canada's manager with how she was handling the issue, I told her I should go just to the media about this and how ridiculous this is that I cant get any details on why it was denied. And the best part, she told me to go ahead, wouldn't make a difference. When ford warranty sets a decision on a claim, its set in stone. I was just so surprised by the answer, I left her go after that. I knew the conversation was going no where. That's the another reason I just stopped pursuing and paid the dealership to get it fixed. Realized that if shes representing ford Canada, and that's their attitude, I just gotta stop and just pay. No point in arguing.

My father who bought a new mkx back in 2009 is now ready to buy a new suv. After hearing about what happened to me, he decided to check out other places and refuses to buy another Lincoln. Don't get me wrong he loves his MKX, but just hearing about my experience scared him off. Put it this way, even I love his mkx that I offered him to do a straight trade with mine, he refused, lol. He said if something like that happened to him, he wouldn't know what to do.

Hopefully Tricia can atleast tell him why it was denied.

I recently had a warranty claim put in for damaged leather on the seats on my MKT. For some odd reason Ford approved replacement of the bottom cushion, but not the seat back. They sent a very detailed note (addressed to me) that my dealer showed me through their computer system as to why the warranty was denied. Is your dealer not willing to show you that note?

And besides, as freebird notes, if it really was a rock that caused the damage, your insurance should cover it, minus your comprehensive deductible. If your insurance company refuses, then let them argue it out with Ford.

Hey Tricia, sent you a PM.

Thanks for looking into it.

You’re welcome, j0nblayz.

I’m looking into it now, and I’ll let you know what I find on my end.

Sometimes you get a bad rep. I'm sure Tricia will be able to help one way or the other.

Thanks for the mention, Akirby! B)

Could you make a claim via your auto comprehensive policy to cover the glass breakage? Might have a deductible to pay.

Welcome to Ford "customer service."

I recently had a warranty claim put in for damaged leather on the seats on my MKT. For some odd reason Ford approved replacement of the bottom cushion, but not the seat back. They sent a very detailed note (addressed to me) that my dealer showed me through their computer system as to why the warranty was denied. Is your dealer not willing to show you that note?

And besides, as freebird notes, if it really was a rock that caused the damage, your insurance should cover it, minus your comprehensive deductible. If your insurance company refuses, then let them argue it out with Ford.

Hey guys,

Those are some great suggestions, and thanks for your input. I’m on it!

Have a great weekend! :)

Tricia

unfortunately tricia was not able to look into my case, she did not have access, thank for trying though.

I think there is a big gap in the ford canada for issues like this. When a customer has concerns about a dealership's workman ship and need to talk to someone about warranty issues i should be able to talk to ford canada. Obviously dealership in this case will not take ownership of the issue, and from what you guys are saying they prob did suggest to ford canada a rock caused the issue. Now where am i suppose to complain about this?

Hopefully more people read this thread and get some awareness out to the public. Then maybe ford will fill this gap.

In the US I would just make a claim against my comprehensive insurance for glass breakage. Deductibles normally are $0 - $100 for "glass breakage."

I wish, unfortunately I don't have glass coverage. Whats ironic is that weeks ago before this happened, I reached out to my broker to add glass coverage onto my insurance. He deterred me away from it saying its a waste of money, he said it was like $28 additional a month. After this happened I called him up to see if my sunroof would have been covered if I had this coverage, and yes it would have been. And out of curiosity I asked him again how much the premium would be, said it was like $13 or something. I was furious. How can price drop in almost half under a month? he said it happens. Didn't realize windshield insurance fluctuated that much.

Anyways yes if I had insurance I would for sure gone that route.

For now im gonna just stop worrying about all the issues I had, and start really just enjoying this ford. I think its time to do some mods :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

unfortunately tricia was not able to look into my case, she did not have access, thank for trying though.

I think there is a big gap in the ford canada for issues like this. When a customer has concerns about a dealership's workman ship and need to talk to someone about warranty issues i should be able to talk to ford canada. Obviously dealership in this case will not take ownership of the issue, and from what you guys are saying they prob did suggest to ford canada a rock caused the issue. Now where am i suppose to complain about this?

Hopefully more people read this thread and get some awareness out to the public. Then maybe ford will fill this gap.

I wish I could’ve been of more assistance, j0nblayz.

If you have any questions or concerns in the future don’t hesitate to reach out to my FordServiceCA colleagues here: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/user/32485-fordserviceca/. They’ll be happy to lend a hand.

Happy Holidays to you and your family! :)

Tricia

• 1 month later...