2008 Edge power liftgate not working

I have a 2008 edge limited I purchased in May and now have the darndest thing happen with my liftgate. The first issue was when I would use any button to open the liftgate it would open, ding 3 times and then start to automatically close. It wouldn't do this all the time, but frequently. I read to try to reset it by opening and then closing manually. This would periodically work, but it always happened again. Now, however, the power feature is not working at all. Power liftgate is "on" from the instrument panel. When I push any of the buttons it "clicks" like it is enagaging but it never opens. I have to open it manually and it has a lot of resistance. Once manually opened it will not stay open it wants to fall back closed right away. My head has been in the way several times so needless to say I want to get this issue resolved ASAP.

My 2008 was purchased in 2010 and from the beginning in colder weather the hatch would go up and then go down by itself. It was much worse earlier this winter. I ordered new struts from Amazon.com, installed them in 10 minutes and fixed the issue. Change your hatch lifts and solve your issue.

I bought mine off EBay a year and a half ago (manual liftgate). They started acting up again this year once the colder weather set in. I think I have a 2 year warranty limited lifetime warranty from the seller, let's see how a return/replacement goes :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370924078321

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

• 2 weeks later...

With any luck, it should only need the initialization sequence as below.

Power Liftgate Initialization

NOTE: If the power liftgate system is turned OFF in the message center, the system cannot be activated with any switches or with the liftgate handle. The system will need to be turned ON for any power operation to occur.

NOTE: The power liftgate may not operate under the following conditions:

• A low voltage or dead battery
  • A disconnected battery

If any of these conditions has occurred, the power liftgate must be reset.

1. Manually close and fully latch the power liftgate.
  1. NOTE: If the power liftgate does not open during this step, refer to the symptom chart to diagnose the power liftgate for no operation.

Power open the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch.
  1. Once the power liftgate is fully open, close the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch.
Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Here's what I have in my 09 mkx service manual:

Power Liftgate Initialization
NOTE: The power liftgate may not operate correctly under the following conditions:

A low voltage or dead battery
A disconnected battery
Repairs/adjustments have been made to the power liftgate rod, power liftgate motor, liftgate hinges or liftgate striker
If any of these conditions has occurred, the power liftgate must be reinitialized.

NOTE: Battery power must be removed from the Liftgate/Trunk Module (LTM) for 20 seconds before the LTM will enter the initialization mode.

Disconnect the battery or remove the LTM fuse(s).
Wait 20 seconds and reconnect the battery or reinstall the LTM fuse(s).
If liftgate is not already in the fully closed position, manually close and fully latch the power liftgate.
NOTE: Make sure the power liftgate system is turned ON in the message center before performing this step.

NOTE: If the power liftgate does not open during this step, refer to the Symptom Chart to diagnose the inoperative power liftgate.

Power open the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch.
Once the power liftgate is fully open, close the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Any resolution to this problem, Kim or kellim? Here is a TSB on a similar problem with the Explorer:

12-2-6 POWER LIFTGATE DOES NOT OPEN OR REVERSES AFTER OPENING APPROXIMATELY 25 MM (1 INCH)

Publication Date: February 10, 2012

FORD: 2012 Explorer

ISSUE:
Some 2012 Explorers vehicles equipped with the power liftgate
may not open or open approximately 25 mm (1 inch) then reverse when using the power open feature.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove the liftgate
striker bolts and striker.
Discard striker.
Install the new liftgate striker.
Torque striker bolts to 22 N-m (16 lb-ft).

PART NUMBER PART NAME
BB5Z-7843252-A Striker

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120206A 2012 Explorer: Replace The Liftgate
Striker (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.2 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7843252 16

PROGRAM CODE
T11

• 4 years later...

I have a 2008 Ford Edge purchased new, only has 54,000 miles on it. My lift gate is totally  unoperational  Prior to this it began shutting on its own striking me in the head and by reflex I shoved it open trying to step away from it before I could do this it came down again fast and caught my neck and shoulder.  This is not just a mechanical or electrical problem, it is a dangerous hazard. 

Might be 2020, but my 2008 only has 54,000 miles. This Ltd. edition has had so many recalls. FORD - once again Fix or repair daily !!! I just looked at the total sale price for this in 2008, it was $40,006.16 and this was a dealers demo with a 1000 miles on the odometer. In retrospect, I should have had my head examined. I have had Fords my entire life, including Lincoln, Thunderbird, 2 Mustangs, Ford Explorer ............. NO MORE FORDS FOR ME>