Dead battery - did this lead to a stereo/CD problem?

Maxthedog1

About ten days ago, the battery went dead on our 2008 Edge, causing us to jump start it. Shortly thereafter we noticed that the display on the stereo reads out a series of zeros, ie: 00000000. It will not eject the CD's that were previously inserted. Was the jump start the cause of the problem; and is there a simple solution?

I pulled the fuse, left it out for 15 seconds, then replaced it, but no change to the problem. I did not mention the first time that when I push the button to load or unload the CD cartridge, or if I try to play a CD, the display reads "Initializing". At times, I can also hear a motor running inside the unit.

About ten days ago, the battery went dead on our 2008 Edge, causing us to jump start it. Shortly thereafter we noticed that the display on the stereo reads out a series of zeros, ie: 00000000. It will not eject the CD's that were previously inserted. Was the jump start the cause of the problem; and is there a simple solution?

Thanks for reaching out to me, Maxthedog1.

I replied to your private message and I’m looking into this matter.

Pull the radio fuse or the negative battery terminal to reset it.

There are several youtube videos on this same problem for the ford edge. Results are replacing the unit.

Might try reaching out to Tricia, the Ford customer service rep who monitors this forum... http://www.fordedgeforum.com/user/29146-fordservice/; or maybe Rebecca from the Tech Team... http://www.fordedgeforum.com/user/28548-fordivtteam/ . Especially if this is a known issue as may be eluded to in macbwt's reply.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the mention and for your input/suggestions.

Continue to keep your vehicle in great shape by using the Maintenance Schedule .This tool makes helpful recommendations on when to service it next. :thumbsup:

Tricia

• 2 weeks later...

I reached out to the Ford Customer Service Rep, who was not able to provide any help. Yesterday, I pulled the whole unit out of the dash, took it apart, and got the CD's out of the changer. I was hoping that maybe there was a jammed CD causing the problem. But when I reinstalled the unit back in the car dash, I still have the same problem.

I checked with my local Ford service dept. this morning. Essentially they told me that my options were to purchase a remanufactured unit thru them for around $400, go to a Best Buy and get an aftermarket unit, or buy a used one on ebay and install it myself. So it looks like it is going to be at least a $200 solution.

• 1 month later...

Back in early January, I had posted this question regarding my CD player that had died. I received a lot of feedback, such as removing and reinserting the fuse, disconnecting the battery, etc. None of this worked. I contacted the Ford Rep, who did not give me any help. I went to my local Ford dealer shop, whose only suggestion was a remanufactured unit for $400+.

So I pulled the player out of the dash, took it apart, and got the five stuck CDs out. I put it back together, reinstalled it with high hopes, but it still didn't work.

Since I was still mad about the whole issue of the CD player not working due to a simple battery jump, I decided not to do anything.

This is my wife's car, so I don't drive it every day. But about two weeks ago, I did drive it, and noticed that the previous error messages and the constant 000000 showing on the stereo display were absent. So I put an old CD in, and wonder of wonders, the CD player was working again.

So I guess that maybe patience really is a virtue! At least it is cheaper.

• Like 2