2015 Edge - First Year Model Problems?

alzakx

Hello,

I've just found this forum and this is my first post. I'm really looking forward to the 2015 Edge but I'm concerned about this one being a first year model.

This one could be my first Ford ever.

According to Ford they built it from the ground up based on the 2013 Fusion Platform, meaning there a lot of new parts/technology introduced on the 2015 Edge. As you know, this could potentially come with quality/performance problems not caught early on development or quality assurance.

I did some research and found this website truedelta.com with real owner reviews.

http://www.truedelta.com/Ford-Edge/reliability-728

Apparently the 2011 Ford Edge did came with problems straight from the factory (first year model).

Then I checked the stats on the Fusion

http://www.truedelta.com/Ford-Fusion/reliability-98

And this one is the worst. The 2013 model which is also a first year model has lots of issues.

Now I'm thinking: It's no fun laying down $40K for a car that will go in and out of the dealership for repairs all the time and maybe not get fixed at all.

There are also some 2011 Edge owners that complain a lot about problems with the power train, transmission, car stalling out of nowhere.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it?

Edited by alzakx

The Fusion launch was a fiasco, but that's because it was a brand new design based on a European platform and parts that had never been used before in North American plants. The Fusion plant in Hermosillo is one of Ford's best and the 2006-2012 Fusions were bulletproof. They basically had to start over with the 2013 Fusion. I have one of the early ones and had a few problems that were fixed under warranty. For me it was worth the hassle to have the car then rather than waiting another year.

For the 2011 Edge the vast majority of the problems were MFT. Those are almost all fixed now. But the 2015 model does come with MFT and not the new Sync 3. If that's important to you then you'll need to wait for the 2016 model.

In short - the problems experienced with new stuff on the Fusion and Edge are no longer an issue. With any first year model you can have issues, but my experience those issues are usually fixed permanently with a couple of dealer visits.

If you're still concerned but really want one - lease it for 2 years. If it turns out good you can keep it. If not, turn it in and get a new one.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. And my 2006 Fusion was the 4th or 5th one off the truck at the dealership. I also bought a 2000 Lincoln LS within the first few months. Minor problems but nothing major.

The Fusion launch was a fiasco, but that's because it was a brand new design based on a European platform and parts that had never been used before in North American plants. The Fusion plant in Hermosillo is one of Ford's best and the 2006-2012 Fusions were bulletproof. They basically had to start over with the 2013 Fusion. I have one of the early ones and had a few problems that were fixed under warranty. For me it was worth the hassle to have the car then rather than waiting another year.

For the 2011 Edge the vast majority of the problems were MFT. Those are almost all fixed now. But the 2015 model does come with MFT and not the new Sync 3. If that's important to you then you'll need to wait for the 2016 model.

In short - the problems experienced with new stuff on the Fusion and Edge are no longer an issue. With any first year model you can have issues, but my experience those issues are usually fixed permanently with a couple of dealer visits.

If you're still concerned but really want one - lease it for 2 years. If it turns out good you can keep it. If not, turn it in and get a new one.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. And my 2006 Fusion was the 4th or 5th one off the truck at the dealership. I also bought a 2000 Lincoln LS within the first few months. Minor problems but nothing major.

Thanks for your reply akirby,

The problem here is that I'm not located in the United States, down here were I live the Ford Dealership is really lousy.

People complain all the time on their Facebook page, apparently getting parts for fixes takes over a month while the car stays at their garage the whole time.

Also their mechanics suck and don't get things fixed.

I'm not sure about it now.

I forgot to mention.

The leasing options down are really bad, here we don't have good leasing options like you folks in the US.

Basically we don't get a residual value for our cars once the lease is up. We have to pay the whole thing as in a regular finance deal.

Edited by alzakx
  • Like 1

The 2015 was supposed to have been out last fall but got delayed. If they knew it would be delayed that long they probably would have continued with the current model as the 2015 and introduced it as a 2016 model later this spring. They haven't published dates on the 2016 yet - I would assume September/October-ish and I would expect sync 3.

NEVER EVER EVER buy a first year production auto.

I learned the hard way with a 2005 Corvette....it lived in the shop....for 2 1/2 years..

Sold it three years after buying to buy the same model three years newer and with all the bugs worked out and it never went back in for anything !

Lesson Learned the hard way !

• Like 1

OTOH - My last 3 vehicles were new (2000 Lincoln LS, 06 Fusion, 13 Fusion) purchased within a few months of product launch. Had a few minor problems on the LS but it was only in the shop for a couple of days total. 06 Fusion had a broken door handle that I fixed myself - nothing else in 7 years. 13 Fusion has had 2 trips for 2 days total so far with probably one more for a day or two required.

It's rare that you have significant problems - most are minor things that once fixed don't return.

The Edge fuel tank problem and PTU problems are exceptions but those aren't really a new model problem.

I can't agree with you on not to buy a first year vehicle. My wife has a '09 MKS, had hardly any issues, the only pain was FM radio reception, had to replace the roof antenna, and also the guides for the rear door locks had to be replaced. The only other problem is that she loves the car so damn much, she doesn't want a new one !

I've heard this before but I read in a car mag that a lot of times the first model year will have more options or better quality built into the car because it's the first year. As changes go on year by year manufactures will find ways of saving money on cheaper parts so they can make the money back from the development of the car. Something to think about.

Most of that cost savings is done up front when the parts are first designed. They're not going to make them more expensive just to cut them later. If they can be cut and done more cheaply then they will be from day one. So there just isn't any more savings to be had.

What usually happens is they have to go back and re-engineer some parts for added durability - adding cost.

I think I'll wait a few months to order my Edge. I read on a different post that Ford engineers usually wait 6 months to identify and rework most of the problems on their cars and then they just look for a way to make the car cost less.

If by the time I order mine the 2016 comes into production then I'll just wait for that one instead.

I'll keep an eye on early buyers reviews.

• Like 1

Most of that cost savings is done up front when the parts are first designed. They're not going to make them more expensive just to cut them later. If they can be cut and done more cheaply then they will be from day one. So there just isn't any more savings to be had.

What usually happens is they have to go back and re-engineer some parts for added durability - adding cost.

Sales volumes will vary, depending on a large set of factors. A part manufacturer negotiates a contract for quantity 'x' over so many years, but then that model defies all predictions and the car manufacturer now anticipates 'x' * 2. I would be inclined to think that the car manufacturer would go back to the part manufacturer and renegotiate a lower price on the basis of the new volumes; or that may already be in the initial contract. Either way, the car manufacturer's cost would go down in this scenario. Now, whether the car manufacturer will pass this saving onto its future clients is unsure...

Typically if a part is working well with almost no issues they wll look to engineer cost out. Look at the plastic intake on the 3800 GM v6 engines. It was a disaster. If there are issues then they will look to make the part better, which generally costs more.

• 3 months later...

Alright,

It's been a few months since the 2015 has been on the roads.

So far these are some of the issues some folks complain about the newer edge:

1- A rattle comes from the back, but it hasn't been determined what causes it. There is a suspicion of the spare tire container being the one to blame.

2- Turbos blow up. On the Sport model, apparently giving it too much juice will blow some hoses on the engine. It has to be taken to the dealership for reattach the hoses and tighten the hose holders a bit more.

3- The rear door liftgate apparently is assembled in a way that the gaps between each side are different, length wise, one gap is shorter than the other.

4- Lane keep assist apparently doesn't recognize road merges or exits and will try to stir you back.

5- Bolts on the direction can corrode and break on places were roads are treated with salt during winter. It was said that there was a recall for this issue.

Is there anything else I'm missing?