Battery leak...$1000??

Edbatizu@yahoo.com

Went to start, out of the blue battery dead. Upon inspection blue gunk (acid) all round positive terminal. Took to dealer, says I not only need battery but new harness as acid corroded some wires. (Car ran fine after jump....no apparent issues). Here's the catch...$1000.00 to replace. Am I getting ripped off??

2012 SEL - Loaded

42000 miles....love the car till now...?

Go to auto store and get a can of spray (forget name) to coat the connections. This will prevent the blue gunk.(corrosion) I use this stuff on my golf carts all the time and it works great to keep the batteries clean and running. Electrical grease will work also. I trust unknown mechanics about as much as I trust my ex-wife.

• Like 1

Don't forget the wires are protected by rubber which is impervious to acid. The only damage would be where the wires connect to the terminal if those are exposed. Should be really easy to see if there is damage. But the corrosion comes from gas given off by the battery - you'd need a direct splash of acid to do any real damage. Not likely.

• Like 2