Slippery in the snow. Is this par for the course?!

cheekymonkey

I recently purchased a 2012 FE (SE) hoping it would be a great snow car. Oh my goodness, just a little slush and slop this am on the driveway, and I was slip sliding all over the place. I have on the tires that came from the Ford dealership that I purchased it from. They have tread.

Is this normal for this car??!!

Are you coming from a 4x4 or all wheel drive?? I've been driving an Edge and MKX front wheel drive since 2009 and have spent hours and hours driving in ice and snow here in Michigan. Long drives up north to hunt, fish and snowmobile. These vehicles are decent in the snow but ya still gotta know there limitations. First thing I do when I head out in nasty conditions is turn off the silly traction control. I've gotten stuck in deep snow twice because I forgot to turn it off!!!! I will say that most drivers, who can't figure out that their tires are slipping, should leave traction control on. Why ford decided to get away from a traction control on/off button is way beyond me!!!!

• Like 1

Its all in the tyres!

I have a 2008 AWD Edge and now have it running inside the Arctic Circle of Finland where we have snow about 6 months of the year. When I got here, I was using the winter spec tyres that I got with the vehicle and it was OK but I had to be real careful as it would under steer if I had too much speed in turning. But last winter, I changed to a set of Nokia Hakkapeliitta studded SUV tyres and the car handling changed completely. It became so confident that I could use more speed and power, even into the corner and the under steer was gone and I actually had a feeling of over steer, which is better and actually makes the vehicle fun to drive as you can actually get the back end hanging out and drift!

• Like 1