? about upgrading from 18s to 20s

Tjames557

My edge came with the 18" chrome clad rims and im looking into upgrading for a set of aftermarket 20s. Will this effect the readout of the "miles to E" reading and speedometer since im assuming the computer was originally programmed for 18" wheels? Is there an easy way to correct this without going to the dealer?

Thanks guys!

Keep the overall height of the wheel/tire the same to avoid any issues. Even more important if you have AWD. A different height can be accommodated via an update to the PCM, either at the dealer or in a tune if your vehicle is tuned.

Can this be accomplished by getting the tires for the new rims that are the same size as the tires on the OEM 20s? Meaning did ford make the stock 18 and 20s the same overall height so they could program the all the PCMs the same?

Sticking with OEM tire size for the 20's is the best way to go. Keep in mind we are assuming OEM-sized 20s as well. If you have different wheel width, the actual tire size would change.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

245/60-18 is original 18" tire size

245/50-20 is original 20" tire size

Compare these two sizes here:

http://www.sizemytires.com/calculators/compare

post-23566-0-95687700-1424642611_thumb.jpg

Sticking with OEM tire size for the 20's is the best way to go. Keep in mind we are assuming OEM-sized 20s as well. If you have different wheel width, the actual tire size would change.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

245/60-18 is original 18" tire size

245/50-20 is original 20" tire size

Compare these two sizes here:

http://www.sizemytires.com/calculators/compare

Great! thank you for all the info. so by getting the new 20's with a 245/50-20 tire I dont have to flash the pcm. 0.4% isnt even noticable. That was exactly what i needed! Thank you again!

What wheels are you getting? Be careful with wheel width, ideally same as OEM. You could go wider, but that would change tire dynamics.

KMC Slides. They are 20x 8.5 instead of 20x 8 like stock. But thanks to your converters that you posted links to, I was able to find the correct tire size to get in order to be within 0.6% total diameter of stock.

I wonder how much it will change your ride? (rougher?) Comments from anyone that has done it? I have a 2009 with the same chrome clad rims. I am not a big fan of them at all, however, I do like the comfortable ride my Edge gets and I get quite a few comments on it. Food for thought...

Great! Post some pics when you get 'em on :)

Will do. Thank you again for the help!

I wonder how much it will change your ride? (rougher?) Comments from anyone that has done it? I have a 2009 with the same chrome clad rims. I am not a big fan of them at all, however, I do like the comfortable ride my Edge gets and I get quite a few comments on it. Food for thought...

I test drove one with the stock 20's. seemed like it rode pretty similar. Im not too worried about going with a wheel size that is offered as a stock option. But i am purposely staying away from 22s to help keep the ride quality

The factory 20s ride almost as good as the 18s because they're tuned that way from the factory. If the springs are the same and the replacement wheels are about the same weight as the factory 20s I'd expect them to ride just as well.

Thank you sir!

Good info to know. I have 18s on mine but love the look of the 20s. I will keep this in mind if I ever change my rims.

I actually like the style of our 18s better than the stock 20s. However I like the look of a bigger wheel in general as long as I don't have to compromise ride quality too much. That is why I'm looking aftermarket instead of picking up some take offs.

• 2 weeks later...