Reverse cam woes

Ok..while I think there maybe something wrong with the cam I just noticed my parking aides are gone. Before the lines were present and green,yellow red boxes appeared if there was an image shown even if it was upside down. Now all I get are the beeps. Anyone else see anything like this? Suspecting I have more than one problem here.

• 3 weeks later...

2011 Edge Limited 2x4

In the last couple months the camera started getting error to see dealer, then other times would be upside down.

Bought a replacement camera from Ford dealer and replaced camera, and it has been working fine, but have no guide lines or alert. All settings are on, have done master reset, unplugged battery and still no luck getting guide lines back. Would try reloading software, if I could get a copy of the latest software (it already had the latest on it prior to the problems).

My daughter also has a 2011 Limited 4x4 and her camera started having the same problems a week ago. Not sure if her guide lines are missing, but it says same thing about camera unrecognized and upside down picture.

Edited by rdotson

You need to have it programmed to get the lines back...but thought you would have kept the alerts. When you say alerts are you referring to the beeps or the colored blocks? The beeps I thought were a separate system so I thought they would remain active.

I have a different Camera issue, dealer said they will replace the camera to resolve it. Basically, my problem is that the camera would become very noisy (grainy) at night if I had been driving for a while and the weather was hot. Shutting off the car for ~2 minutes & restarting, the Camera would become clear. Same place, same time, same lighting.

Before shutting off the engine:

post-24673-0-88632400-1433068748_thumb.jpg

After shutting off, ~2 minutes & restart:

post-24673-0-81291100-1433068758_thumb.jpg

Video I made, non stop shooting:

https://youtu.be/547oSfgPJZs

Ford dealer needs to reprogram the can to get back full functionality. But I had thought you just lost the lines and the boxes of color that pop up as you get close to something. If you lose the beeps too I may just have the dealer do this. Last time I asked about getting a BCM programmed I was told 200 bucks, plus 100 bucks for camera comes close what they quoted. Don't think I want the wife driving it without beeps, she is so used to using this I can see that being a problem.

• 5 weeks later...

Does this sound like a dealer needs to reprogram the APMI or something like that? Can they do it with our losing my nav favs?

I have a 2011 Lincoln MKX

Backup camera loses the color & hash marks. I also got once- the pop alert “Camera is unavailable- contact dealer” but that has not shown up again.

I toggled in the settings the feature on & off. I used the reboot app. I disconnected the car battery for 15 minutes & reconnect- nothing worked.

I do NOT want to do a master reset since that will just delete all my nav favs & hads proven not to fix the real issues.
Suggestions?

****Rebecca****

…. Does this sound like a dealer needs to reprogram the APMI or something like that? Can they do it with our losing my nav favs?

I've done a LOT of work with video over several careers. Based on the pictures you just posted and the one on page 1, it appears to be a grounding problem. WHICH would explain why the dealer ship won't touch it until you pay $$.

Often grounding issues are a PIA to locate and once you "touch" the cause you could fix it with no needed parts. (real fix or temp, hard to judge) Or you may spend (as the tech) X hours and never find it. At which point they'd ask you, the customer, what cap do you want on time spent (labor) to search.

maybe ... just a guess based on pictures and nothing else.

****Rebecca****

…. Does this sound like a dealer needs to reprogram the APMI or something like that? Can they do it with our losing my nav favs?

Hi drpepper,

That message usually does not indicate an MFT concern, and a master reset will not correct it. Since backup camera concerns are out of my scope, I suggest contacting your dealership so they can diagnose and correct this for you, or Tricia here:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/user/29146-fordservice/

Hope this helps!

Rebecca

Hi drpepper,

That message usually does not indicate an MFT concern, and a master reset will not correct it. Since backup camera concerns are out of my scope, I suggest contacting your dealership so they can diagnose and correct this for you, or Tricia here...

Thanks for the mention, Rebecca.

Have a great day! B)

Rebecca- Thanks will do...

Hello drpepper,

I replied, and please check your inbox when you have a chance. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Tricia

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update this thread I finally broke down and bought the replacement camera from Levittown Ford. Once I get it in and installed I will update everyone on the success or more than likely failure of my efforts. Still suspect something else is amiss but since others have had success changing it I will give it a shot.

• Like 2

I purchased a used 2011 Ford Edge SEL (immaculate condition). I really love this vehicle and have been driving for about 4 weeks and everything worked fine until a week ago. First thing was a Tire Pressure Sensor failure. I went to the tire store and they told me it was just low on air and that the sensor would reset once the tires were aired up to the correct pressure. The error is still illuminated and I read online that it may be an issue with my phone charger and the Bluetooth? Not sure. Then just yesterday, my rear camera flipped upside down just like the photos shown in a previous post by xK317Hx. The next time I put the car in reverse it worked fine. Then it did it again and subsequently has also gone completely blank and told me to contact the dealership. How much is a new camera? Is this an item that must be purchased through Ford? Thanks for your assistance. I am starting to think I now know why the one owner traded it in...

Bought my 2012 a few months back. At least once a day I get the message "rear camera not available". Never been upside down, dis colored, etc. just not available. No rhyme or reason. Anyone had this before? Just checking before I go in and spend the diagnostic fee...which is insane I need to pay one with a full warranty for 12 month/12k miles!

Cam was about $100 shipped from Levittown Parts. I too get the rear camera not available message, but sometimes it does other things too. This is why I had initially suspected it was the APIM flaking out but Ford tested it and said all was good. I got the camera yesterday and hope to get it installed this weekend if I get time. I will update with the results.

Wow...thanks to xK317Hx's method this was pretty painless. Took about 30 minutes. Hardest part was dremeling the screw. My initial mistake was not committing and the groove was too big initially. Once I manned up it was all good. The only change I made was a suggestion my wife made. I was struggling with my sausage fingers to get the screw back in...knowing some expletives were about to be used she suggested a zip tie. Worked perfect and next time it will be super easy to get out. Results were good, we now have a reverse cam again! As expected the colored lines and blocks are no longer present. Was going to try a master reset but from what I have read it needs to be reprogrammed by Ford. Really wish there was a diy programmer I could buy at a reasonable price. Anyway the good news is the beeps are still present, so between being able to see what is behind us and beeps we are good.

• Like 3

AWESOME! I still need to do this but funds are tight with daughter number 2 on the way. Glad it went smoothly for you. If you take it to the dealer please let us know the price to reprogram. Also can I get a part number for the camera, cause I remember there being 2 listed under different dates.

Edited by xK317Hx

I hear you on money being tight...seems you never have enough especially when you have kids.

I will double check the box but I am almost 100% positive it matched the P/N shown in the pic. There really aren't two part numbers, I think initially there was a version of this camera that was used up to a build date in 2012, then they revised it. So many of the sites have two listings but if you look at the Ford P/N they are the same. The camera I got had a mfg date of like 2 months ago, the original said it was S/N 0011. So I think I had a really early revision.

post-15776-0-58948200-1438346378_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ok...another update. Camera still provides an image but I am coming to the conclusion it is close to useless without the lines. It is very hard to tell how you are lined up due to the perspective it gives you...I still find myself turning around to line up with a space then when lined up I use the cam to tell when I am all the way in. I will give it some more time but I think I will be breaking down to get this programmed. So keep that in mind so you know the true cost to fix. For those that aren't handy you are probably better off letting the dealer do this. I was quoted $400 for the whole thing, right now I am in $100+ probably $150 to program so I will still save $150, but for some this might not be worth it.