Edge test drive

post-33570-0-08096100-1426870061_thumb.jpgpost-33570-0-35445400-1426870032_thumb.jpgI'm going for a road test at Santa Anita Park in California tomorrow morning. Its a Ford's Ecoboost Challenge event. They have locations on there website now, I believe 18 around the country.

I will report back with my own opinion on how this CUV drives ( other than all the other car journalists we have been reading about the past week )

Hopefully they will let me shoot my own video & photos.

Finally figured out to attach photos!

Here are some shots of the Electric Spice color (no photoshop-shot in bright daylight)

Edited by drubush

I checked out a new SEL yesterday. Interior looks a lot cheaper then the current model. Love the new back end but the front looks pretty weak. Looks like they ripped the grille off a Taurus and stuck it on the Edge. Another thing I noticed is ya really gotta slam the doors hard to get them shut because of the new rubber seal design. As you can tell, I was not impressed at all with the new Edge. Didn't take it for a ride but wondering if it rides better/softer then the 11 to 14.

Took an SEL for a nice long ride this morning. Definitely rides a lot softer then my 2011 and I would even say softer then a 2014 MKX. Almost felt like I was in my 2010 again which is a good thing when it comes to plush ride quality. Another thing that I noticed right away was a lot more power assist with steering. This SEL had leather seats that were really really soft, almost like sitting on a leather couch. Not crazy about how the new Edge looks but she does ride a heck of a lot nicer then my teeth rattling 2011. I think this new Edge will attract the older crowed a little better then the outgoing model.

• 3 weeks later...

So my dealer finally got a Titanium AWD 2.0L in that I took for a test drive. It had plenty of power when driven on side roads and the freeway. I was impressed by all the features of the 302A package but I just didn't feel comfortable driving it. Seems like they made the interior wider, similar to the Explorer where you cannot rest your arm on the door panel. The whole experience of the vehicle didn't sit well with me. The exterior rear just sits too high and makes the whole thing look awkward. Made me rethink my choice of next vehicle.

A day later I took the kids to drive an MKC, even though we kind of weren't impressed with the Escape Titanium we drove a few weeks ago. There is NO comparison between those two. The interior is fantastic with soft leather seats and very tasteful colors. The ride is also much nicer with a better overall driving experience. Needless to say I fell in love with the MKC and will be looking into getting one in the very near future. Plus the MKC is much cheaper than a similarly equipped Titanium Edge on a lease. Granted the Edge is a bit bigger but I really don't need a bigger vehicle anymore.

Edited by Magnetic Edge

So my dealer finally got a Titanium AWD 2.0L in that I took for a test drive. It had plenty of power when driven on side roads and the freeway. I was impressed by all the features of the 302A package but I just didn't feel comfortable driving it. Seems like they made the interior wider, similar to the Explorer where you cannot rest your arm on the door panel. The whole experience of the vehicle didn't sit well with me. The exterior rear just sits too high and makes the whole thing look awkward. Made me rethink my choice of next vehicle.

A day later I took the kids to drive an MKC, even though we kind of weren't impressed with the Escape Titanium we drove a few weeks ago. There is NO comparison between those two. The interior is fantastic with soft leather seats and very tasteful colors. The ride is also much nicer with a better overall driving experience. Needless to say I fell in love with the MKC and will be looking into getting one in the very near future. Plus the MKC is much cheaper than a similarly equipped Titanium Edge on a lease. Granted the Edge is a bit bigger but I really don't need a bigger vehicle anymore.

We are in a similar position regarding the 2015 Edge and the MKC. My wife and I looked at a 2015 Edge Sport last night and right away she said it looked bigger than our 2011 and preferred the size af the Escape/MKC (its her vehicle). We are almost empty-nesters and dont need the larger vehicle. One problem on the Escape you can't get auto-cruise control which we like for our drives between Chicago and Asheville NC. So I would also say the MKC may be in out future also! Probably looking at a 2016 which goes into production 6/15 hopefully with the newer version of sync/MFT.

Edited by akirby
fixed quotes

We replaced a 2008 Edge last year. I wanted a MKC but wife didn't like the grille (and it's her vehicle). She drove and liked the Escape titanium so that's what we got. It is missing a few features that I have on my Titanium Fusion but the worst part is the seats. They're just not comfortable to us, especially the passenger seat that feels like it sits 2 inches too high and it's not adjustable. This is the first time I've ever encountered seats that weren't comfortable, including our daughter's 2012 Focus.

Not a big deal right now since we use the Fusion for road trips, but I want to replace it with a mustang convertible. We'll end up trading it for either a MKC or an Edge - most likely a new Edge just for the extra room and comfort and lower price.

I test drove a black titanium with the cognac interior and 302A package. It definitely came with all the bells and whistles. I liked the fact that it had a 120V outlet in the back seat. The cargo room was more than I expected considering how steep of a rake the rear window has. I really really didn't like the fact that the headliner was light gray and the carpets and door panels were black and the seating surfaces were brown. There were too many colors. However, it's up to my wife to decide if she can live with it. I like the leather color, I just wish Ford would've made the headliner black. I am not a huge fan of the button style on the center console. They're definitely functional being round and depressed in the middle, but it doesn't look super modern. It's more conservative. However, functionality comes before form in a family hauler. So if I had to chose the new buttons over the capacitive touch buttons, I'd chose the easy to find and feel buttons that don't require you to take your eyes off the road.

Leg room is truly impressive. With the front seat all the way back, I was able to fit in the rear seats with the door closed. It was a tight fit, but that's a feat considering I am 6' 4" with long legs. The front seat went back further than I was comfortable with so It should be comfortable for people that are much taller than 6' 4"

The V6 acceleration wasn't anything spectacular. I am hoping the higher torque in the 2.0L ecoboost will improve on this a bit. We're looking for mileage, not performance though. So I suppose I shouldn't expect much. I am spoiled though because my car is a coupe with a 6.2L V8 with engine mods. So take my review of the acceleration with a grain of salt.

The exterior looks impressive from the sides and the rear. The LED tail lamps and light bar really stand out. The front looks like a lot of other SUVs on the road, but there are some nice details in the headlamps that make it look a little sharper.

cargo area (click to enlarge):

IMG 1369

rear end:

rear end

V6 engine:

V6

headlamp detail:

headlamp details

120V outlet:

120v power

3-tone interior

3 tone interior