2008 Ford Edge tail light electrical fire? Watch the disturbing video discovery

I just recently found the same issue with our 2010 Edge SEL, but my story is almost too embarassing to tell. The rear passenger turn signal wasn't flashing so I went to replace it. Took the old bulb out and noticed that the socket looked charred. Figured that might have been the culprit, so after replacing the bulb and still getting no flash out of the turn signal, I replaced the socket. Still no flash. Decided to take it to the dealership, where they told me it was the bulb. Evidently, with the lack of light I have in the back half of my garage and really concentrating on that burned socket, I pulled the old bulb and set it down, and instead of putting in the new bulb, I put the old one back in. Wow, what a dummy! Anyway, I wouldn't call this 'normal', but I'd say it's almost typical of these model year(s) Edges, from what I've read online in various searches.

• Like 1

I think all of use have earned that badge once or twice in our lifetimes. Sometimes you just need to laugh at yourself. It seems with these light sockets you have two choices 1) live with it until it completely stops working 2) replace it. I am choosing the first choice as they still work and all that will happen is the new ones will get burned up too. At least I know these old ones are burned up so the condition is not a question just a status.

I just recently found the same issue with our 2010 Edge SEL, but my story is almost too embarassing to tell. The rear passenger turn signal wasn't flashing so I went to replace it. Took the old bulb out and noticed that the socket looked charred. Figured that might have been the culprit, so after replacing the bulb and still getting no flash out of the turn signal, I replaced the socket. Still no flash. Decided to take it to the dealership, where they told me it was the bulb. Evidently, with the lack of light I have in the back half of my garage and really concentrating on that burned socket, I pulled the old bulb and set it down, and instead of putting in the new bulb, I put the old one back in. Wow, what a dummy! Anyway, I wouldn't call this 'normal', but I'd say it's almost typical of these model year(s) Edges, from what I've read online in various searches.

Mercy Girl is perplexed as to why more people are watching this video on how to change a light bulb then the very difficult video and harder video to make about the changing of the LCA (lower Control Arm) She seems to think the LCA video was so much work that more people should watch that because light bulbs are easy. From the mind of a 12 year old........LOL

Leave it to me to blaze the path. I am not sure the 2008 will make it to ten it might but that sure seems to be a bit of a reach right now. Yes lift access is a life saver for me. I do not think I would be able to do this work without it. Hopefully the issue I had to deal with let's folks know just what they may have to deal with.

Either folks don't have access to or experience with jacks/lifts, or there are too many steps to getting the LCA taken care of compared to the light bulb change. I think the Edge/MKX is reaching that 10 year point where you will see more owner-mechanic-DIY types.

Edited by macbwt

I remember my first car. I went outside to start my car and it wouldn't start. I proceeded to open the hood, take out the battery, clean the terminals, check the ignition, try another key, everything! I was out there for over an hour.

My father came out and started the car in a few seconds.

His response? "You can't start the car when you leave it in Drive, dumbass.

To this day (over 20 years later), he still loves that moment.

• Like 2

2011 Ford Edge tail light bulb replacement video is nearly ready. Special thanks to MercyGirl for her fine video assistance. I think she is starting to like this. Anyway some rendering to be done and then uploading. Shorter video so it should not take long.

• 7 months later...

Very common problem on the Edge. Using lower power LEDs and/or replacing the socket are solutions tried & true.

Lexus, part deux?

LED is not all easy-peasy. It's a brake/tail/turn bulb so you will have to add a resistor to keep it from hyperflashing. I'm getting close to having all the bulbs and resistors to make it work like a normal bulb,

I swapped the reverse and side marker lights with no problem. I did get a 3157 LED bulb for the tails, but it was too long for the red cone that makes up the tail light. I think I might have a shorter version off of EBay, but I have to get it first. I'm not thrilled with my hyperflashing front bulbs, but I might end up swapping those out with another style.

I thought adding an resistor would be rather straight forward, but with a three wire system, there are 6 combinations that might work. A to B, A to C, B to C and so on. Not bad on paper, but rolling around in the engine compartment tapping wires doesn't sound like fun. THe other issue is that the resistor generates heat, so you have to place it somewhere it won't melt it's surroundings. I might try extending the leads of the resistor so I can mount it anywhere and havethe added bonus of having enough slack to remove the bubl if I need to. Not too sure if I can insert a resistor into the space of the tail light assembly or have to get creative with a wire route. Even if there is enough room to bolt/screw the resistor to the metal part of the assembly, would it be far enough away to keep from melting the plastic?

If you use a low wattage LED, then yes, hyperflashing will likely be an issue. In my case, I used LEDs rated to consume at least 1/2 or more the wattage of the incandescents. True, that generates more light, and if that is not your goal (i.e. keeping lumen output same as OEM is your goal), then adding resistors (made easier with ScotchLoks) is the right way to go. Since I have DTBL tails on the Edge, I didn't have to deal with the brake/turn dilemma. In their case, the resistor is mounted to the plastic housing, so might work with the OEM housing as well. Double-sided tape (rated for hot locations) should be fine. DTBL's is screw mounted to the plastic.

post-23566-0-88942500-1446391842_thumb.jpg

post-23566-0-85880400-1446391863_thumb.jpg

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

2011 Ford Edge tail light bulb replacement video is nearly ready. Special thanks to MercyGirl for her fine video assistance. I think she is starting to like this. Anyway some rendering to be done and then uploading. Shorter video so it should not take long.

Hey Mac, ever finish the comparison video? Curious.
  • Like 1

Installed these in the front flashers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281646604923?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And these as tail lights:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281482509960?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Reverse:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281640608501?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Rear Side Marker:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321405027185?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Front flashers are great as flashers. Not so great as parking lights. I do have resistors to install which should help with that. Somewhat hyperflashing, but nothing too crazy. Bought the resistors for the flashing, but unknown as yet if I have to double up in the front to get parking lights as well as a slower flash.

Tail lights barely fit into red tail cone. Disbursement is still nice as to filling out the reflector. It has a built in heatsink and with the melt hole in the top of the cone, shouldn't have any problem with heat.

Not too-too thrilled with the reverse lights. Nice and white, but I have a feeling that the throw is a little vague. I tried the same bulb in the wife's '16 Mazda CX-5 and the stock bulb, though yellow, seemed to have a more direct beam when parked 5 feet from the garage wall. I have a feeling that the same pattern is happening with my Edge. Just too lazy at the moment to do a side-by-side with it. I think I am going to have to find the right bulb because of the dark tint on the windows.

It's a marker light.....it's marking.....

Update on the bulbs: Front ambers are not working as parking lights. Swapped them out with my red rears and the reds would work, other than them being red... Wrote the vendor to see if there was an issue with the amber ones.

Did play around a little bit with my resistors. Can't say if they helped hyperflashing, but I don't know if I need to do the rears at the same time. Did find out that the retaining clip on my front flasher is missing, so I'll need to keep that in mind in case it goes out or if I am at the local pick-n-pull.

I'll get to pics one of these days. What I really want to do is pull the car into the garage and take pics of the light throw against a wall. If I had taken one of the wife's reverse lights, you could see why blindly throwing LED's into a car may not be the best idea. I wasn't going for brighter lights per se, as much as I was going for more intense light.