Possible Recall

Shock

I noticed a burning smell comming from my 07 edge. Smelled like Vasoline. My wife took it in and it turns out that there is a bad seal around the transmission and fluid was leaking onto the engine. They said that this may be a production problem and there may be a recall coming. My wife worked at the dealership, so I think they were pretty honest with us.

Other than that, love my edge.

Now that you have everyone's attention - is this a FWD or AWD vehicle you are talking about?

Did they mean transmission or power transfer case for AWD?

Is it really leaking into the engine or at the engine side of the unit?

Since we have not heard of this type concern, it's doubtful that there would be a recall (implying a goodly percentage of the units would have this concern) - more likely a TSB. Unless your contact at the dealership has been in touch with Car Service Engineering at Ford on the issue, and they said a recall was coming, I wouldn't bet on it.

See if you can get a better definition of the concern so we don't all become paranoid and think that every drop of road oil that burns off the exhaust pipe is an indicator that our trans has a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I also purchased an 07' Edge Sel Plus AWD on Sept 30th, it's in the repair shop now. There was a bad seal on the transmission, it was leaking fluid onto my exhaust which was creating smoke and a burning smell. The Ford repair shop tried to put a stop leak in the transmission, but 2 days later I was back, they are ordering a new seal, takes 2 days, then replacing, another 2 days, but at least they gave me a comp car while in the shop. Other than that no other problems and already have over 8000 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

My wifes car is in the shop now. I work at the same dealership but on the Mercedes end. This is the second case they've seen like ours. There is a bad seal on the trans side leaking fluid into the transfer case. If you've ever looked underneath your awd edge you'll see the front wheels are driven conventionaly fwd, and the transfer case is driven out the pass side of the trans where the pass front axle comes out. An unusual setup I must say. The pass side axle goes through the transfer case but is seperated by a hollow shaft which i believe is the drive gear of the transfer case. There is a seal on the trans side and another seal on the out side of the transfer case. Both seals I'm told are on national backorder. However Mazda I'm told use the same trans and transfer case. Parts may be avail from Mazda. We have a rental car so we are going to wait till Ford will make more avail. I'm assuming this was an unforseen problem and supplies from ford are limited.

Get comfortable with that loaner car.

I just got my AWD Edge back from a 1 month lay-up at the dealer.

The seal kit was on National back order and after waiting two weeks it came in and was installed.

After the seal was replaced the leak continued and then the PTU was ordered.

After the PTU (power take off unit) was replaced the repair was complete.

I got the vehicle back on Friday and so far so good.

Although I happy for now, the chance of this occurring with the new PTU lingers in the back of my mind.

If I were you, I would push for the PTU to be replaced now and not go through the same as I and others on this forum have gone through.

Good luck.

Any thoughts on whether this is a problem for 2008? We just took delivery on a 2008 AWD model last week after a lengthy (4 months) battle with Ford regarding an unrelated problem that began with our 2007 last July. As much stress as that situation has generated, I sure hope we don't have a likely major repair in our near future.

-- Joe

My tranfer case is being replaced as we speak for the 3rd time in 5 weeks! Get this.... it was still leaking in the shop when they put the third one on! Good thing i got a better loaner this time. I know I will have it for a while

Sorry to hear about your problems. I am waiting for my 08 awd and am hoping for the best. Seems to me that this should be covered under your state's Lemon Law.

• 3 months later...

Purchased my 2008 Edge yesterday, put 40 or 50 miles on it and it started dripping oil from the transfer case onto the exhaust right behind the juction of the Y-pipe and the pipe in front of the catalytic converter. After reading some of the similar complaints I wanted to rule out a transmission fluid leak. This morning I took it for a 20 mile cruise (and anyone suspicious of similar oil smoke problems might want to try this) to get the engine nice and not, pulled into my driveway and the smoke started to billow out. Couldn't see the leak at first, so I slid a a piece of cardboard under it to collect any drips. After about 15 minutes a small dot of fluid had dripped on the cardboard. Upon inspection it appeared dark brown, thick, and really stinky. No mistake about it, its gear box oil. Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is red. The 5-20W oil in the engine is really thin, and light brown. So unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as you guys. My guess it the PTU seal is (still) defective. WHY IS THIS STILL A PROBLEM!?!?!

Fix Or Repair Daily - - so far, its true. I had it for one day and it needs to go back into the shop for God knows how long. Quality Ford Tough? BS! Shoulda bought that Rubicon.... :(

Purchased my 2008 Edge yesterday, put 40 or 50 miles on it and it started dripping oil from the transfer case onto the exhaust right behind the juction of the Y-pipe and the pipe in front of the catalytic converter. After reading some of the similar complaints I wanted to rule out a transmission fluid leak. This morning I took it for a 20 mile cruise (and anyone suspicious of similar oil smoke problems might want to try this) to get the engine nice and not, pulled into my driveway and the smoke started to billow out. Couldn't see the leak at first, so I slid a a piece of cardboard under it to collect any drips. After about 15 minutes a small dot of fluid had dripped on the cardboard. Upon inspection it appeared dark brown, thick, and really stinky. No mistake about it, its gear box oil. Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is red. The 5-20W oil in the engine is really thin, and light brown. So unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as you guys. My guess it the PTU seal is (still) defective. WHY IS THIS STILL A PROBLEM!?!?!

Fix Or Repair Daily - - so far, its true. I had it for one day and it needs to go back into the shop for God knows how long. Quality Ford Tough? BS! Shoulda bought that Rubicon.... :(

Update. Apparently they are familiar with the smoking problem. The car spent a day in the shop and fixed the PTU seal leak. So far so good. I will post if this one craps out.

• 6 years later...

I had the same issue had to replace PTU for a pretty penny. What is Ford going to do? Mazda and Lincoln's of same model type are having the same leaking issue. Mazda has made some form of compensation for their owners. We need to push for a recall or class action. This is a manufactured defect and Ford knows it! Not fair at all for loyal customers to have to pay for this repair.

Why does everyone seem to think that any part that ever fails on a vehicle should always be replaced for free? That would be a lifetime warranty and you can add several thousand dollars to the cost of the vehicle to cover that.

I think they should extend the warranty on this part to 100,000 miles. But anything with moving parts can fail over time. If you choose not to purchase an extended warranty then you're taking your chances should something happen - known problem or not.