Best drop in filter?

DunePearlEdge

Serious reply:

Ultimately just get an air filter and change it when it gets dirty. I use K&N just because I want to and feel I save a few bucks by cleaning and reusing it.

Not so serious statement:

I have heard that Akirby is a strong believer in the K&N and the new dry filters that are reusable he swears by them and believes through science and data that he gets at least 30 hp increase and an extra 3 miles per gallon by using them, but you may wish for him to respond to his topic as I am sure he will. I think he even owns stock in K&N.

Try an AEM DryFlow, at least there's no oil involved, just soap and water (you can use their kit if you want). K&N/oiled filters, just follow instructions that come with the filter. Use the spray kit for oiling, much easier to get that thin film on there as instructed, no different from painting. If the filter appears "underoiled"/doesn't turn red after oiling, spray another light coat in those areas only, wait, watch, repeat as needed. Then you should be fine.

The MAF sensor should be cleaned regularly anyway, oil or no oil. It's easy & quick with MAF Cleaner.

• Like 1

I clean the K&N with the cleaning and oiling kit. Just follow the instructions. I one time when I first used K&N overoiled and it affected the MAF. I learned how to apply the oil and have not had an issue since then. Been using K&N on my Orange Crush since 2010 and never once have i had a problem with the MAF sensor. Just do not over do the oil and wipe it down good before installing to absorb any excess oil after application.

Hopefully you understand I am pushing Akirby's activation button!!! ;)

Thank for both of your replies macbwt. How do you clean your filter? Do you have to periodically oil it and will that effect the MAF sensor?

I thought I had read that the AEM Dry Filter is actually owned by K&N. Just did a quick search and found this posted on Bob Is The Oil Guy.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1981083

The same filters are not used for each application, wet or dry. It sounds like AEM makes a different filter than a K&N wet filter. All kinds of interesting reading on various forums doing a Google search.

I'll stick with my Motorcraft FA1884 filter.

• Like 1

K&N on the Orange Crush for 276,000 miles and original MAF and never cleaned.

I use individual K&N's on my Vmax Gen 1 motorcycle. It's old school carbs set up will burn the extra oil.

I'd be heasitant about using an oil style element if it has the remotest chance of gumming up the MAF. But this is just my thoughts.

• Like 1