Choice of foam - noise suppression or temperature

Liptoss

Just wondering, I was watching Mac T's transmission flush video and thinking, "Where's his sexy foam blocks that Ford has placed on top of the valve covers and intake manifold?" Had the 2008 Edge even shipped with them?

I recall reading more than a few threads ranging from valve noise to dying out and failing coil packs etc. Obviously this V6 engine has what may be classified as a noisy valve train. Ford felt it necessary to try and quiet things down, and shield the uninitiated from matters going on "down below" such as the VCT, aluminum valve covers, coil packs, etc.

My question to others is this:

I've thought about removing these insulating foam blocks from my 2013 to assist with heat dissipation from the top end and open up the air space in the engine compartment. In turn possibly, spare the coil packs from excess heat. In the colder winter months, put the foam blocks back in to help the motor heat up quicker and also protect the aluminum and other top end components like the fuel rail, coils etc from brine spray and moisture. I think who really cares if the noise of the valves are heard a little more?

Just my thoughts. Any others out there like me?

No covers on the 2008's for sure. The wife's 2011 as you can see in the oil change video has the foam cover. Personally my Orange Crush has literally made the same clank, clang, tick, bang noises since I bought it. It may not sound big and powerful like a V8, but it has the heart of one.

• Like 1