Car skips until I give it more acceleration

slate83

I have a 2008 Ford Edge that skips when the accelerator is partially pressed while driving. When I press the accelerator further, the car stops skipping. It does not skip when sitting idle and does not have starting issues. This skipping only occurs while driving.

I have taken it to a mechanic who says it is probably the fuel filter. However, my research tells me the fuel filter on the Ford Edge is a lifetime filter and should not need replacing.

Any suggestions?

No suggestions from me... I would think fuel filter but the symptoms for the are like yours at idle then usually hesitation under acceleration worsening as you continue to accelerate and not go away like you state.

I haven't pulled my manual or anything however if the fuel filter is permanent, that will be new to me.

I agree throttle body or position sensor if filter was bad then you would have other operation issues. Cheap way to try to clear it up is using some throttle body cleaner. Otherwise check for codes also.

Could be a bad throttle position sensor or throttle body. How many miles do you have on your Edge, and what is the maintenance history?

Thank you for your responses. The car has 126k miles. As far as maintenance history, it has had regular oil changes and basic maintenance performed. I have not had any major issue with the car to this point. The two issues I am having right now are the skipping issue and tire pressure sensor warning light is on.

Any advice on the skipping issue is appreciated. Thanks!

I have had this issue as well and brought it to Ford b/c I suspected trans issues. I was told the #5 spark plug and coil need to be replaced. Thankfully the #5 plug and coil is the one in the middle on the front of the engine. I was skeptical but replaced them both (the coil was over $100.00). The problem went away.

• 2 weeks later...