Hard waters spots?

Vinegar. Distilled white vinegar on a damp rag.

I own a body shop in ohio, have it professionally polished, and then use a good polymer sealant, wizards is one of the best, you can get it online or at local paint shop or I can send it to you. That will keep your water spots from reoccuring. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Is vinegar really safe for a car finish? I know that vinegar is bad for clear plastic, because the acid will make it cloudy, so wouldn't it do the same thing to the clear coat finish?

Vinegar is acetic acid, not to be confused with acetone, or nail polish remover. Vinegar shouldn't craze plastic. Acetone will craze most acrylics, which are used for most transparent applications, where glass is too expensive or too heavy.

Try vinegar in inconspicuous spot first, or on something else with hard water spots on it, like your shower head or faucet. Observe how it works on other sacrifical plastic items you have. After you are comfortable with its cleaning properties, try it on your car.

BTW, goof off is acetone, straight up, and that stuff is way more harmful than vinegar. It's touted as safe, I don't let that shit get anywhere near anything I like.