grinding noise when braking after startup

billimek

The entire time I've owned my 2007 SEL-Plus Edge I've noticed that for the first couple of minutes after a cold start that when I brake I feel and hear a 'grinding' noise coming from what I assume are the front wheels when I brake. After a minute or two the problem goes away.

I took it to the dealership to have them look at and of course they said that they could not reproduce it. I looked in the manual and see on page 214 the following passage about the 'Advancetrack' stability control system and it states,

"During AdvanceTrac with RSC operation you may experience the following: A rumble, grunting, or grinding noise after startup and when driving off"

I assume that this is what I'm experiencing, but when situations I encounter it aren't during times that the stability control light illuminates - I've actually had the light come on once or twice on a slippery road so I know the difference. I also feel that while the sounds are similar, but brakes felt different and the car decelerated when the traction control system engaged. So now I'm not so sure this is the same thing.

What should I do? I can pretty easily reproduce it myself every morning when I leave for work, but like I said, it only lasts for a minute or two and there are no other symptoms (braking responds fine, etc) it only happens when the Edge has been sitting off for at least a few hours.

Thanks for your time,

Jeff

Jeff,

I have the same issue. I haven't had a chance to take it into the dealer yet.

I just assumed that it was due to the cold weather here in Iowa, and that possible there was ice build up in the brakes. Like you say, it only happens on first start up, and I have only experienced it after the Edge sits for a while, like over night. I never noticed the problem when the weather was warm.

How many miles do you have on your Edge? Is it AWD or FWD? What is the climate in your region?

Just trying to figure out if we have the same situation.

I also don't think it has to do anything with the Traction Control system. I have turned off the TSC and still heard the same sound. I have heard the noise on dry pavement, and on snow covered roads.

Izzy

I noticed the same noise and my Edge is only 8K old!.

I called the dealer service manager and they said it was common with the disc brakes during the first few stops.This is primarily due to the formation of trace corrosion (light rust) on the metal surfaces during vehicle non-use or storage. Supposedly the Edge uses a high iron content disc and it is SUPPOSED to do this. This corrosion is cleared from the metal surfaces after an few stops causing the noise to subside.

When you first drive off and then brake, you are scraping the rust coating off the disc and normal braking resumes- no grinding.

So for the time being, I am accepting this reasoning, but will have it checked during my free oil change at the dealer,

BTW, my pedal is firm and tight with no mushy feel.

Edited by ramblinman

Thanks for the responses guys.

Izzyaz, It's a 2WD with 15k miles on it and I'm in Atlanta, so it's mild. At first I thought the problem was also due to cold temps, but I think it seems to happen when it isn't cold outside too.

I'm glad to hear that others hear/feel the same thing - it sounds like normal operation (with the rust coating thing). I just wish the techs at the dealer would say so!

Thanks,

Jeff

This very subtle noise has been on my 08 2WD since the get go. Really notice it when pulling out of the driveway first thing in the morning if there is no radio/fan/etc.. turned on.

Very common in a lot of vehicles. My Pontiac did it and so does our Honda. The fact that the dealer can't recreate it doesn't surprise me. You take it in and the drive over cleans off the disc so they can't recreate it.

The problem you are having may be from rust building up on the rotor while it has been sitting. It may not be the cold weather, if there is alot of moisture in the air that could do it. If it still bothers you and you want to be sure make an appointment to take your car in and have the shop foreman cold start it after sitting out overnight and see if they can duplicate it then.

It is rust on the rotors.

Some times it does it overnight but if it sits for a couple of days, you can obviously see it on the rotors (Look between the slots in you wheel covers and you can see it).

I always thought that high-iron metals were cheap?

Putting on replacement rotors might be better but it's a gamble.

Might just be something we have to live with. :banghead:

Jeff,

I have the exact same issue on a Limited FWD in Michigan with < 300 miles on it. The noise seems to be coming from the front right brake for the first one/two braking events following a long stop, often overnight. It doesn't happen after every cold start but does seem more likely to occur following driving in wet weather. This behavior seems consistent with the explanation about the cleaning of the rust layer from the brake system.

The thing that bothers me is that it only seems to be coming from the front right. If it is a light layer of rust buildup, wouldn't that seemingly occur on all four brakes and thus they would all make noise? I think I'll probably discuss the issue with the dealership just to make sure there is nothing wrong.

I agree that the problem is a flash rust on the rotors.

My Edge gets it sometimes, my wifes Honda gets it, and my BMW get it real fast.

My BMW gets it after every rain and it looks like the car has been sitting forever.

After a the first couple of braking feet, they all clean right off and back to business as usual.

I'm still waiting for an after-market upgrade for the brakes. i.e.: bigger rotors and calipers.

If anyone finds an after-market high performance replacement, please let me know.

Thanks. :rockon:

Quick weigh-in on this from here... same issue with my '08 AWD (1400mi)... subtle low-toned 'grinding' or rumble/scraping noise as has been described during first drive off after sitting, when applying brakes.. especially during wet weather. Stops after the second or third brake application. Mine seems to come mostly from the front left each time, but that may just be because that's the closest wheel to my ears(?)...

Quick weigh-in on this from here... same issue with my '08 AWD (1400mi)... subtle low-toned 'grinding' or rumble/scraping noise as has been described during first drive off after sitting, when applying brakes.. especially during wet weather. Stops after the second or third brake application. Mine seems to come mostly from the front left each time, but that may just be because that's the closest wheel to my ears(?)...

I also have the same noise, 07 SEL+. After reading this thread and others I'm

now convinced its rust on the rotors. The last time I was at the dealers lot, I

looked at some of the new cars and suvs' rotors. Most of them had noticable

rust on them. Some looked like they were painted orange, while others looked

normal.

Well I dropped my 07 SEL+ Edge at the dealer to have them look into the grinding issues along with an oil change and some other issues. I had them keep it overnight (when it happened to snow here in Atlanta, so it was unusually cold) and they said that they were unable to duplicate the problem.

When I dropped it off and explained the problem, the service advisor said that the grinding noise issue should only happen when it first comes off of the train. It's a little aggravating that they claimed that they were not able to re-produce the problem or give an explanation like the rest of you did.

I guess that it is normal based on what other owners are saying, but I wish I could hear something official from the service dept.

---the service advisor said that the grinding noise issue should only happen when it first comes off of the train. It's a little aggravating that they claimed that they were not able to re-produce the problem or give an explanation like the rest of you did.

The Service Advisor has not seen enough of the concern to really know the situation and probably did not check it out. What they should have done was run an OASIS on your VIN and code "brake noise" and they would have likely received the explanation you read here. Might call them back and ask if there are any service messages on the issue and see what they say.

Why could they not duplicate the noise?, because they are looking for a deep grinding noise that indicates a problem like caliper sticking, emergency brake drag, etc. They didn't hear that, so it's normal - which it is.