Seats giving me a back problem

Just took a 600 mile round trip down the Pacific Coast Highway to Morro Bay with the return up Interstate 5 in my 2015 edge Titanium. The wife and I found the seats to be quite comfortable. The return trip was a non-stop run of about 5 hours with no fatigue or discomfort noted. I suspect that there may be subtle differences between trim levels with the seats in the Titanium probably the most comfortable. Ours are not perforated with heat only.

• 2 weeks later...

The seats may be the only reason we don't get the Edge. Just not very comfortable. Seat bottom too short. Side bolsters on the bottom aren't meant to be sat on! That's what makes them uncomfortable and give back problems.

Long time VW owners. Possibly the most supportive seats in the business.

2017 Tiguan is gonna be a game changer.

Edited by DRbillZ

• 4 months later...

I was starting to think that the seats were uncomfortable as well (first few weeks of driving it and my back was getting a little sore). I'm by no means old (37) and pretty average weight height I presume (5'10" - 185lbs). Initially I had the seat at about 3/4 height with the seat back reclined almost at a 90 degree angle and the headrest just middle range (not forward, but not all the way back), a bit of lumbar support "on".

Ā 

I tested a new seating position for the week...I lowered the seat to about half height (maybe a bit lower than half but just enough to still see a touch of the hood), reclined a few degrees back, and put the headrest forward enough that it was naturally hitting the back of my head when I relaxed, lowered the steering column and telescoped the steering wheel a bit closer, and finally as others mentioned, depressed the lumbar support completely.

Ā 

WOW what a difference it made!!! No pain at all and I did A LOT of driving this week. AND I find that I am enjoying the car so much more! Ingress/egress is better, sightlines to the gauge cluster, Sync screen, and all the physical HVAC buttons seem so much more natural.

Ā 

So happy that I've made this change!!! For all of those finding problems with seating position, keep making adjustments until you find something that works!!

Edited by Burrcold
  • Like 1

My wife and I took a vacation to Vermont, 1,000 miles round trip (took a detour to Montreal one night). We both found the seats to be very comfortable. She even said they compared to the Volvo we used to have. And, we both have back problems.

Ā 

Like another poster said, you can't make a seat that will satisfy everyone.

I do think it's all in the seats. I had a 2015 Escape and got rid of it as quickly as I could. I have severe back issues and the Escape seats were terrible. I drove a MKC and it was different as night and day for comfort. In the Escape My wife and I (she also complained) found we were sitting on top of the seats, not in the seats and they had very little side bolster. The 2015 MKC has really comfortable seats as does my 2016 Edge and I can adjust out my back pain on longer trips.