2007 Edge transmission "slipping" at highway speeds

ThePetrie75

Hello all,

I am a new member, but I have referenced articles I've seen on the forum for a while now. I drive a 2007 Edge with about 120k miles. My wife got the vehicle from her ex in-laws several years ago, and I am uncertain whether any transmission service has been done to the vehicle.

For several weeks I have been experiencing a slipping sensation while driving at highway speeds (I use the "" in the title because I am not certain that is what is actually happening, just what it feels like). I generally happens when I am at a constant speed and encounter a slight incline, or very gently accelerate. It never happens if I accelerate hard enough for the tranny to down-shift. I have seen that there are service bulletins for similar problems on other model years' Edges, but I have not seen such for the 07s.

I was going to have a local franchise repair shop change the fluid, but the manager there told me that since I didn't have any service records for transmission work, and with the vehicle already having an issue, they wouldn't be able to change the fluid because they might make it worse... Any thoughts on how true that might be? I am now considering changing the fluid myself to see if that improves my issue.

I have never changed transmission fluid (I have seen various posts about the drain plug on here) but have done other small repairs on other vehicles, so I am not completely helpless.

So should I change out the fluid myself, or do I need to take it to a transmission shop or dealership?

Thanks in advance for any help! It is greatly appreciated

Welcome to the forum, and we forgive you for not making yourself known earlier :)

Remember, it may SEEM like a trans problem, but may actually be an engine problem such as worn out spark plugs, clogged fuel injectors, COPs, etc.

I really hope the fluid is at least at the right level. You can certainly change the fluid (Mercon V: Motorcraft, Castrol or even major auto store brand; can do better with full synthetics if desired), just not flush it. Use the 3x drain & fill method to simulate a flush.

1. Get trans warmed up.
  2. Park the Edge on level ground.
  3. Row through the gears with foot on brake to make sure fluid is forced to move in & out of the torque converter.
  4. Make sure to PARK it, then turn engine off.
  5. Raise on jackstands/lift as needed.
  6. Loosen trans pan drain bolt & drain fluid. Approx 5 quarts should come out. Hopefully no metal shards/minimum flakes.
  7. Close drain pan bolt.
  8. Fill the same amount as came out/5 quarts expected.
  9. Start engine, run for 5 minutes, row through the gears a few times to commingle old & new fluid. Drive briefly if you want, but not more than 5 minutes so you don't overheat the fluid.
  10. Repeat steps 2-9, then 2-8 for final drain & fill. Probably put in 15 new quarts in all. Fluid should now be a nice healthy pinkish color.

And yes, you CAN do it yourself IF you are comfy working underneath a vehicle & are used to taking appropriate precautions.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/2040-transmission-fluid-replace/

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/12917-2009-edge-sel-awd-transmission-plan/

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 2

Welcome!!!

I would just assume that a transmission service was never done, even if it was documented in the maintenance books, and just perform the service ASAP.

I say this because you never know who did the service or if it was done properly when it was done at X shop that day if it was even done at all.

Some shops are bad like that.

You can do it yourself if you are pretty capable with repairing cars yourself.

Just follow the great post above that spells it out for you.

Side note, i would also change your engine oil while you are at it just to be sure. :)

Edited by carguy75

• 2 weeks later...

You won't make it any worse than it already is by changing the fluid. A bit of a myth. The problem is that once the tranny is done it is done. NO matter what you do. that being said......You do sound like you are in he window for the speed senors in the tranny needing replacement and this more than likely would repair the issue. Not knowing about previous uses however this may be a bad tranny, but the 6f50 has been a very reliable tranny for the edge. The cost to replace the senors in the tranny will run about 800 but you get a full fluid change with it also.

I had a Ford Taurus that I could swear was having tranny issues like you say. I took to a transmission shop and they said it was fine and was likely my plugs or wires. Sure enough, I replaced them and all was fine. I have a 2009 Edge that I replaced the plugs at 115,000 and the gap was very large on them. I would suggest doing the plugs. They need it anyhow and that might solve your "slipping" problem.

• Like 2

I pushed my plugs too far once and ended up causing an O2 sensor to also fail. Change the plugs at 90K and you will avoid other issues.

I had a Ford Taurus that I could swear was having tranny issues like you say. I took to a transmission shop and they said it was fine and was likely my plugs or wires. Sure enough, I replaced them and all was fine. I have a 2009 Edge that I replaced the plugs at 115,000 and the gap was very large on them. I would suggest doing the plugs. They need it anyhow and that might solve your "slipping" problem.

• Like 1

My 09 MKX goes in Tues morning for its 90k checkup (Inc changing plugs). When I made my appointment the service mgr told me if I let the plug gap get too big, the coils which are mounted on the plugs will draw extra current and could fail. Said they see this about twice a year. A coil replacement goes for 6-7 hundred (forget the exact price he mentioned).

• Like 1