Ford Oakville Parking Lot

CorporateEdge

I drove by the Canadian production plant this afternoon at 2:30 and found it interesting to see what was sitting in the plant parking lot and the Canadian headquarters (salary) parking lot.

The actual plant lot seemed to be full of big three (Ford/Chrysler/GM) with lots of pick up trucks. Surprisingly there were a lot of Dodge pick ups based on a casual glance. I did not see any Edge or MKX but this was just a quick look while driving by.

The "head office" next door had a few MKX or Edge and a mix of almost all other makes. I did notice the higher end Accura/Lexus stuff.

Its a free country and no one can tell their employees what to drive but it still made me wonder. With employee pricing, X plan and just plain old loyalty to your job (spend your money where you earn it). Notice I didn't say loyalty to your company as its pretty obvious that companies will do whats viewed as "right" for their bottom line and the employees are out of luck.

I am sure I would likely see something similar up in Brampton or out in Oshawa.

With Honda, BMW, Toyota etc all having North American based plants is this type of observation even valid any more?

I have been to the Marysville OH Honda plant on many occasions and notice Ford, Gm and Chrysler products in that parking lot. So what is the point? I have toured the Corvette Factory in Bowling Green KY also and rarely see a Corvette in the employee lot.

However, go by Ford's Truck plant in Kansas City and it is full of Ford trucks.

I seem to remember that Ford and perhaps other mfgs had close-in parking for employees that drove Ford products.

I am not sure if this was a UAW or Company initiative.

All others parked 'a good deal away' from the plant or building entrances.

Anybody know if this is still true??

That is a plant policy, not a Ford or UAW policy.

I have been to the Marysville OH Honda plant on many occasions and notice Ford, Gm and Chrysler products in that parking lot. So what is the point? I have toured the Corvette Factory in Bowling Green KY also and rarely see a Corvette in the employee lot.

My point is a personal one. If I worked for Ford I would buy what I build. If I don't support my company who the heck will? Related to that I know I would take a serious amount of abuse from my coworkers if I used one of my competitors products and showed it to them every day.

Some of my coworkers in another division call on Ford / GM / Chrysler. They are told their company car MUST be from the specific automaker that they call on. We don't supply to Honda/Toyota (strange but all their long term supply agreements are with firms either based in Japan or subsidaries of their Japanese suppliers) and guess whos vehicles are not on our fleet list?

Your right about that, not many foreign jobs in our lot is there. Must be a Canadian thing

My point is a personal one. If I worked for Ford I would buy what I build. If I don't support my company who the heck will? Related to that I know I would take a serious amount of abuse from my coworkers if I used one of my competitors products and showed it to them every day.

Some of my coworkers in another division call on Ford / GM / Chrysler. They are told their company car MUST be from the specific automaker that they call on. We don't supply to Honda/Toyota (strange but all their long term supply agreements are with firms either based in Japan or subsidaries of their Japanese suppliers) and guess whos vehicles are not on our fleet list?

Most do, but then again we have had a lot of people take buyouts, and the temps drive what they already have. Can't blame them right now, give them a little time to buy a new vehicle. I'm a 4th generation employee, Blue runs through these veins. As well as my kids and so on, and so on....

I worked for Chrysler when it was Chrysler (mid 70's to early 80's). The published "Company Rule" for employees was if you wanted to park in the secured lot nearest the plant, you drove a Chrysler product. If you didn't, you parked in the distant open lot and walked quite a way to the entrance. As this was in Detroit, the winter alone made you want to drive a Chrysler product (or wear big boots). Especially because the open lot was plowed last.

If you were a vendor and wanted to park in the Visitor's lot near the entrance, you drove a Chrysler product. If you drove something else, you had to park off-property and fend for yourself (there was no other parking near the plant and it was illegal to park on the street). ALL Vendors serving Ford, GM and Chrysler generally had a fleet of various cars so the proper car could be driven to the plant they were to call on.

• 3 weeks later...

When i worked for Ford (salaried @ a Ranger plant) i owned a BMW. The security guard at the entrance stopped me one day and motioned to roll the windows. He proceded to tell me that in years past they would not allow a foreign car into the parking lot. This happened in the late 90's. This is also when the quality of Ford products sucked big time. I ventured to get an Edge this time around due to A-plan, incentives and incredible enterior quality for a Ford. I only hope Ford continues this "bold" redesign through their whole line.

• 1 month later...

I work at the Louisville Assembly Plant. The union pushed for a Ford vehicle only policy. Drivers of vehicles produced at this plant (Explorer, Mountaineer, Sport Trac) get closest parking. Drivers of non-Ford products must park in a separate lot or at the rear of the lot. If you drive a non-Ford product you are not allowed on the grounds of the plant. You must park in the separate lot and walk in.

When I hired on in Michigan, I was driving a new Super Sport Chevelle. I took a lot of ribbing and finally dumped it 9 months later. Since then we have had over 110 new Fords, Lincolns, Mercurys, Jaguars and Merkurs.

(Today, the SS396 Chevelle would be worth more than any of the Ford's, but who could know?) :banghead:

When I hired on in Michigan, I was driving a new Super Sport Chevelle. I took a lot of ribbing and finally dumped it 9 months later. Since then we have had over 110 new Fords, Lincolns, Mercurys, Jaguars and Merkurs.

(Today, the SS396 Chevelle would be worth more than any of the Ford's, but who could know?) :banghead:

That Oakville Ford plant provided a job for my father and father in law for over 30 years each. They have both passed away and I will always be thankful to Ford for providing us with food and shelter. I just got my last vehicle on the A plan (my Edge 2 weeks ago) and will always support Ford with the A plan or not. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave