2015 Ford Edge Engines: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know

Chipster

My phone failed miserably having BT connection dropped so highway part is missing.

Only 5 minutes of street driving was captured but it still gives the idea of shutters behavior.

Ā 

I suppose the green line, GRILL_A_CMD is a percentage from being fully open.

Ā 

shutters%2Bto%2Bspeed%2B30%2Bsec.jpg

• Like 2

It would be cool to see the logic that goes into determining the %age commanded. Maybe I am overthinking it, but at the very least the formula would consider airflow at speed, ambient temperature, coolant temperature, possibly HVAC operation. I wonder if it assumes that the radiator and condensor are completely unblocked and are achieving full flow.

Hey, all you guys, thank you very much for all your advice on the 2016 Edge engine selection. It appears you're pretty solid for the 3.5..... unless gas mileage might trump that. I'm gonna be moving from a 2001 Tahoe..... so you can see that gas mileage hasn't been a priority for the last 15-years. In fact, the main reason that the price of oil has been dropping is that they've heard I'm going to be getting rid of that Tahoe.

Ā 

I believe one of the reasons I've pretty much decided on the Edge, instead of the Murano, is this forum. As a collective group, you all provide so much help to guys like me, and to each other, that it's just plain fun! I've learned a ton of stuff! And just so you won't get big heads, you'd be a whole lot better if you didn't used so many abbreviations, and initials. Who the heck has a clue about PIDs, PCMs, BTs, GRILL_A_CMDs, and endless others throughout the forum. Post-intercooler air temp.? Give me a break! As I said before, Thanks a BUNCH! Jack

• Like 4

... you'd be a whole lot better if you didn't used so many abbreviations, and initials. Who the heck has a clue about PIDs, PCMs, BTs, GRILL_A_CMDs, and endless others throughout the forum. Post-intercooler air temp.? Give me a break! As I said before, Thanks a BUNCH! Jack

I hear you Jack! It's hard to be an old analog dog in the presence of digital whipper snappers. Just kidding of course. :victory: I am still trying to figure out how to convert my CD's to MP3 files so I can load them on a thumb drive, but that's a topic for another thread and day. I only hope Ford doesn't kill the CD player in the 2016's!

• 2 weeks later...

I drove the 2.0 Eco-4 powered Edge yesterday and was impressed with its performance. It did seem to be a bit "buzzy" when compared to the 3.5 but nothing too bad. I wondered if anyone who owns the the 2.0 has tried reg. gas in it just to judge the performance difference? I understand that the output is reduced to 220 hp +- when using reg. gas. I am now conflicted as to which powerplant I should select. I lean towards the 3.5 only because it has a proven track record, but the 2.0 Eco seem to handle the Edge's size pretty well. What factors went into your engine selection?

I have seen it posted elsewhere on the web (Mustang engine, but an example):

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1096208_ford-mustang-ecoboost-less-power-on-regular-gas

• 2.3-liter four-cylinder rated at 310 horsepower and 320 lb-ft of torque on 93 premium
  • the engine's output falls to 275 hp and 300 lb-ft when run on regular (87-octane) gasoline

Now obviously, a bit of tuning is involved to extract that extra power from the 93 gas. On the 3.5EB, the PCM "learns" what fuel you have in the system using feedback from the knock sensor, and uses the corresponding tables (spark/ignition/etc). Maybe the 2011+ Edge does something similar, IDK.

• 2 weeks later...

I traded in a 2012 Edge Ltd with a 2.0EB engine. It ran nice, peppy but as others have mentioned it shifted kind of weird at times. What I didn't like about it was my tailpipes were heavily sooted and several times over the time I had it when I would start it in the morning I would get a huge cloud of blue smoke out of it which filled the garage. Dealer couldn't explain it and of course it wouldn't do it for them.

I traded for a 2015 Titanium with the normally aspirated V6. Rides better than the '12, is quieter and has a little extra room. Mileage isn't anything to brag about, avg around 22 so far, more hwy, but quite a bit of in town. It only has 2200 miles on it, so I'm not sweating the mileage yet. I'm sure the ride and noise factor is due mostly to it being built on a fusion platform.

Nice cars.

We just turned in our lease of a 2013 V6 and picked up a new 2015 3.5 V6 (ordered in June). In hindsight I wish I had purchased the 2.0 twin scroll. From what I can tell the 2.0 is about 1.2 seconds slower than the v6 but the 2.0 seems quieter and smoother under normal driving. I have driven a 2.0 for a few hours for comparison.

Ā 

In my opinion these are the pros/cons.

3.5: A bit quicker by the numbers. About 18 MPG. A bit louder. More expense but uses regular fuel.

2.0: Still feels very peppy with good pickup. About 21 MPG. A little quieter. Cheaper but wants premium fuel for better performance.

Ā 

The noticeable difference is the 2.0 seems quieter and is smoother under normal acceleration. However when pushed, the 3.5 roars to life where 2.0 tends to whine. They both use the same 6 speed transmission that seems Ok but can lag when downshifting. Using the manual shifters in sport mode removes the lag.

Ā 

I think the 2.0 feels a bit zippier off the line but slows approaching 60. For my driving style the 2.0 would have been a good choice. I like quiet. (The new Edge is much quieter than our old one.)

Ā 

I donā€™t know what engine will end up being more reliable. We have a 3 years lease so the power train will remain under warranty. I might feel different if we were keeping the car.

Ā 

Just my thoughts,
-Lee

Ā 

PS I really wanted the Sport with the 2.7 but the ride is a bit harsher and I do not like the inserts on the leather seats.

Edited by lskarha

We just turned in our lease of a 2013 V6 and picked up a new 2015 3.5 V6 (ordered in June). In hindsight I wish I had purchased the 2.0 twin scroll. From what I can tell the 2.0 is about 1.2 seconds slower than the v6 but the 2.0 seems quieter and smoother under normal driving. I have driven a 2.0 for a few hours for comparison.

Ā 

3.5: A bit quicker by the numbers. About 18 MPG. A bit louder. More expense but uses regular fuel.

2.0: Still feels very peppy with good pickup. About 21 MPG. A little quieter. Cheaper but wants premium fuel for better performance.

Ā 

The noticeable difference is the 2.0 seems quieter and is smoother under normal acceleration. However when pushed, the 3.5 roars to life where 2.0 tends to whine. They both use the same 6 speed transmission that seems Ok but can lag when downshifting. Using the manual shifters in sport mode removes the lag.

Ā 

I think the 2.0 feels a bit zippier off the line but slows approaching 60. For my driving style the 2.0 would have been a good choice. I like quiet. (The new Edge is much quieter than our old one.)

Ā 

I donā€™t know what engine will end up being more reliable. We have a 3 years lease so the power train will remain under warranty. I might feel different if we were keeping the car.

Ā 

Just my thoughts,

-Lee

Ā 

PS I really wanted the Sport with the 2.7 but the ride is a bit harsher and I do not like the inserts on the leather seats.

Ā 

Ā 

Lee; I would be interested in your thoughts comparing the 2013 vs 2015 3.5? Anything get your attention as different?

Just out of curiosity, I checked local gas prices to see how they relate to the additional mph.

Local Speedway has Regular at $2.26 and Premium at $2.66.

Ā 

12,000 miles/18 mpg = 666.67 gal.

666.67 gal @ $2.26/gal = $1,506.67.

Ā 

12,000 miles/21 mpg = 571.43 gal.

571.43 gal @ $2.66/gal = $1520.00.

Ā 

So at 12,000 miles driven annually, there's essentially no difference between the two ($13.33/year).

However at 15,000 miles/year, the numbers spread:

Ā 

15,000/18 mpg = 833.33 gal.

833.33 gal @ $2.26/gal = $2216.67.

Ā 

15,000/21 mpg = 714.29 gal.

714.29 gal @ $2.66/gal = $1900.00.

Ā 

At 15,000 miles/year the 2.0 would save $2216.67-1900.00 = $316.67.

Ā 

So for those who drive less than the normal miles (myself for example, I work at home) in a year, t really doesn't make any difference. But if you drive the average or more each year, the 2.0 will save money.

(I don't know what additional costs are associated with each engine, but that would need to be factored in to consider any overall cost savings).

Ā 

Personally, I prefer a V6 over a 4, but that's because I like a smoother engine.

• Like 1

Remember that both Engines (2.0 & 3.5) can run on regular, both of them also get better performance with premium. The difference is that the stated rated output for the 2.0 (and 2.7) is listed using premium while for the 3.5 is listed using regular. So it would be a fairer comparison to calculate the difference using the same fuel grade.

• Like 1

I have the 2.0 Turbo in my SEL and have been very happy with acceleration, fuel economy, and quietness. I drive in the mountains in Southern California all the time and the engine rarely shifts down while climbing.

Ā 

Mileage is lower than the EPA estimate even with cruise on and on a flat interstate. I now have about 8,000 miles on the engine and am looking forward to see how the oveall reliability is.

Frist let me say that my wife leases the Edge but I drive more than she does. She has loved all the edges we owned. 2007, 2013 and now the 2015. I hated driving the 2007 and 2013. (I drive a 2012 Fusion.) I did not like the harsh ride, poor handling, noise, breaking. I LOVE driving the 2015. The big difference is great handling, wonderful ride, steering (electric) and much more quiet. How quiet the cabin is seems to be the one thing we keep commenting on.

As for acceleration, the 2015 seems a little more responsive to throttle input. The transmission seems to be smother and better programmed.

Ā 

The seats are very difference. It took some time for us to find the ā€œsweetā€ spot for seat adjustment on the 2015. (We are both short.) They are not as comfortable as the 2013 but they are growing on us. Itā€™s a much sportier seat/feel. There are 6 different seats available depending on the trim line. I also love the lane detection/correction, front camera (could use guides like the reverse camera), auto perpendicular parking (I use it in parking garages.) (I had ACC in the 2013 and love it too.)

The cargo light in the back sucks. Itā€™s low and to the right so if you have anything in the back blocking it you donā€™t have any light. Canā€™t believe it made it to market like that.

And of course the looks. Itā€™s just a great looking vehicle.

-Lee

PS We could not wait for the 2016 but I would have liked to have had the Acoustic Glass (even quitter?), adaptive steering and of course Sync 3.

Acoustic glass (windshield and front row ) is present on both 2015 Titanium and Sport.

As per the 2016 Order Guide, the side front row is a new addition for 2016 on Titanium & Sport. The Acoustic Windshield is now also standard on the SE for 2016 (meaning for 2016 all models get it as standard).

As per the 2016 Order Guide, the side front row is a new addition for 2016 on Titanium & Sport. The Acoustic Windshield is now also standard on the SE for 2016 (meaning for 2016 all models get it as standard).

You can check your VIN for options installed at etis.ford.com.

• Ebony Interior
  • Roof Conv-Panorama Pwr/Open
  • With Standard "B" Pillar Trim
  • Less Rear Mudflaps
  • Frt Scuff Plates-Illumin With Logo
  • With Hill Launch Assist
  • Rear Passenger Door
  • My Key
  • Less Luggage Compartment Mat
  • With Power Liftgate
  • Oakville Plant Build
  • Sport Sales Badge