New Sync Version (Gen2 - V3.8)

I tried to install this update in my 2012 Edge Limited (no nav).
Let it run for 1 hour. Black screen.
No audio,
I contacted customer service and was told to perform the following:
1. Power Off car
2. Open Driver's door :
3. Lock the door (close the door)
4. Wait 2 minutes
5. Start car
(then swing a chicken over my head) :)

Still nothing. Time for a another trip to dealership.
Any suggestions before I head to the dealership?

Successfully updated this morning took 27 minutes and I am already loving SIRI Eyes Free. Unfortunately the back up camera lines are still missing. I guess I am going to have to keep my appointment on the 24th of October. Hopefully this will be covered under premium care.

Hi tamugrad2013,

Let me know how it goes at the dealer.

Well Ford suggested I run vehicle history report then see if the update shows up. Well still nothing...so guess I am SOL since my local dealers are terrible and would barely touch MFT when we had a warranty.

wlepse,

I responded to your PM. Check it out!

I tried to install this update in my 2012 Edge Limited (no nav).

Let it run for 1 hour. Black screen.

No audio,

I contacted customer service and was told to perform the following:

1. Power Off car

2. Open Driver's door :

3. Lock the door (close the door)

4. Wait 2 minutes

5. Start car

(then swing a chicken over my head) :)

Still nothing. Time for a another trip to dealership.

Any suggestions before I head to the dealership?

stevecioe,

Is your screen still inoperative? The dealership is in the best position to assist if it's still blank.

Keep me posted.

Shaay

I did this update tonight. Took 30 minutes and had no issues. All is working well and it's probably my imagination, but the touch response seems to be quicker.

Ambient light setting seems to be holding between starts. We shall see if it holds tomorrow morning. All Nav destinations & presets were unaffected. Phone paired with no issues.

I did forget to reinsert the USB, but I just ran a Vehicle Health Report and the Sync site knows I've got the update.

Thanks Ford,

- DM

I did this update a few days ago on my 2011 Edge with no issues.

I did this update tonight. Took 30 minutes and had no issues. All is working well and it's probably my imagination, but the touch response seems to be quicker.

Ambient light setting seems to be holding between starts. We shall see if it holds tomorrow morning. All Nav destinations & presets were unaffected. Phone paired with no issues.

I did forget to reinsert the USB, but I just ran a Vehicle Health Report and the Sync site knows I've got the update.

Thanks Ford,

- DM

There's definitely an improvement in 3.8. Not as painfully slow as 3.7.

Hey guys!

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know you're enjoying the update. :)

Shaay

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem Joe and as far as I can see, you're the only other person to have reported this. I just bought my Edge last Friday and did the update the same day. I've had Siri work for me 3 times,

1. Right after I ran the update.

2. After I unpaired and re-paired the phone.

3. After I turned notifications on through my Iphone bluetooth settings.

After each of these, it worked for a bit, then stopped. I can't seem to find a pattern with it. It just occurred to me this morning that the Apple Watch could be causing the issue. When I get home tonight, I'm going to run some experiments without the watch and see if it makes any kind of difference.

I just figured this out. I realized that the one commonality about the 3 cases where it worked was that my phone was unlocked. For anybody else having this problem make sure that Siri is enabled when the screen is locked. You can do this from Settings/Touch ID & Passcode and under Allow Access When Locked, make sure that Siri is enabled. I'm not sure how this setting was turned off for me but now Siri is working great and I'm loving my new Edge. I was bummed that Sync 3 wasn't available on this yet but this makes it tolerable.

• Like 1

Successful update for me -- thanks Ford!

However, holding the vioce button for three seconds doesn't start Siri. Wondering if it's because I have an Apple Watch? I wonder if that interferes with it as the watch can use Siri too.

Hi joesworld,

Did you try micanuck's suggestion? Let me know if this works for you.

I just figured this out. I realized that the one commonality about the 3 cases where it worked was that my phone was unlocked. For anybody else having this problem make sure that Siri is enabled when the screen is locked. You can do this from Settings/Touch ID & Passcode and under Allow Access When Locked, make sure that Siri is enabled. I'm not sure how this setting was turned off for me but now Siri is working great and I'm loving my new Edge. I was bummed that Sync 3 wasn't available on this yet but this makes it tolerable.

micanuck,

Great investigation! :)

Shaay

Gen2-v3.8 added use of SIRI but phone needs to be unlocked to use it. Not to good to be going down highway and then still have to manually unlock phone re using the steering wheel button. Keep phone lock case someone steals it, slows them down.

Also the revision did not add back the address book to destination that was taken out in rev. 3.7, needs to be put back in, just fixed for country field or ignore country field.

Sure you can make sure that SIRI is enabled when the phone is locked but then anybody that finds your phone can use almost anything on it thru SIRI, including making calls that you would then have to pay for if they are out of your plans range. Why lock the phone then? Ford should be able to work around this problem since they can access your music and other things thru the bluetooth link from car to phone while phone is locked and SIRI disabled.

MFT releases 9/2010---- now 11/2015.... I think Ford made it pretty clear that a feature that was not programmed correctly-they have NO intention of fixing. Shame we live in a WORLD economy but address could not handle USA. And FOrd refused to spend money to correct oversight.

Simple script to uses field 1 address,field 2 city, field 3 state & ignore any other data but Ford refused.

Why- They charge $199 to use their Sync Services and the Map Quest alliance and the Ford destination app & the built in send to nav would defeat that monetization.

It is an Apple limitation that does not allow for features to be used while the phone is locked, not Ford's. If Ford were to find away around the lock this exploit would also be able to be used by hacker's to get around your phone lock and use the features/gain access to private information. Source: I am a network/system security professional for a multinational company.

Edited by luminator
  • Like 2

It is an Apple limitation that does not allow for features to be used while the phone is locked, not Ford's. If Ford were to find away around the lock this exploit would also be able to be used by hacker's to get around your phone lock and use the features/gain access to private information. Source: I am a network/system security professional for a multinational company.

Exactly. Don't blame Ford - blame Apple for that one.

• Like 1

I don't use an iPhone, with Android you can add your car's Bluetooth (Sync) as a trusted device & hence it would unlock if connected to it & lock when disconnect. Maybe there is something similar with the iPhone.

Sure you can make sure that SIRI is enabled when the phone is locked but then anybody that finds your phone can use almost anything on it thru SIRI, including making calls that you would then have to pay for if they are out of your plans range.

Saying someone can use "almost anything on it" is hyperbole. Yes, it opens up some data if your phone gets into the wrong hands, but remember that it's an optional feature that can be disabled to provide 100% protection.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran the update on my 2015 Edge about a month ago and so far seems about the same except the BT no longer works as well as before.

I use my phone (Galaxy S3) for calls paired as favorite device and my tablet (Tab S) for media/streaming/etc. On the phone I have it set to be used as a phone device only, and the tablet set to be a media device only.

This worked great in the previous 3.7 MFT interface. The phone always auto connected and the tablet always was selected by default for the BT media player. If I was listening to a podcast on MFT via the tablet and turned off the vehicle and came back later, MFT would always automatically reconnect to the phone and tablet and resume playback.

Now with 3.8 in the same scenario, the phone still auto connects, but the tablet is no longer remembered as being the last device used for BT media. If I come back later to the vehicle it doesn't remember that I had a BT device playing (so just goes back to default FM radio) and I have to scroll back to select BT source. At that point it has the next pop-up that asks what device to use. So now instead of being 100% automatic, it takes a couple of menus and 4-5 clicks to get back to the correct BT media source.

Not a deal-killer in the long run, but definitely a step back in functionality for me. I realize it's a relatively specific scenario (one device for calls, one device for media) but still kind of annoying. Whatever code was optimized for 'easier phone pairing with automatic reconnection' seemed to make it so that it forgets that it had a secondary media BT device connected.

I'd roll-back to the previous version but not sure if that's possible.