vibration coming from driver & passenger side under board

gloria's edge

noticing lately a vibration coming from the underside coming from the front. I can feel it both on the driver and passenger side. Seems to happen while driving down the road and last only for a minute or two before I feel it again. Seems to coincide with acceleration.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction with a diagnosis. Car just turned 68k

Looking forward to some feedback....Thanks!

Maybe the driveshaft mount bearings have gone bad? That can cause the vibration. Any vibration if you have the shifter in NEUTRAL and rev the engine to 2-2.5K rpm? The driveshaft is disengaged in NEUTRAL (and PARK also, I think). If the bearings are bad, then driveshaft replacement might be the only solution.

Another option is to have the PTU & RDU fluids checked, flush & fill with new fluid if the old fluid is free of metallic debris. Maybe the seals are leaking on either end where it inserts into the PTU/RDU.

• Like 1

May have found the problem and a solution....this past weekend the ABS, Traction Control and "Wrench" light all came on at the same time after reaching 65 on the speedometer. After slowing down and stopping the lights would clear themselves. Even though no check engine light came on I took the car to Autozone to have it scanned. It did should code C1233....wheel speed sensor. After looking in my repair and service manual this code is for the LF ABS wheel sensor. Showing it is not communicating or reading the LF (driver side front)wheel. I suspect this may be the cause of that vibration as well I've been feeling and why the lights are coming on.

Decided to just replace the sensor....$33. Had to order it from my local Autozone. Should have it by today and installed. Will post an update later today or tomorrow.

Hope this information helps someone.....

• Like 1

It's possible the part with the teeth that the sensor reads is damaged thus throwing the wheel out of balance at high speed and causing the sensor errors. If that's the case then replacing the sensor won't fix it. If it was the sensor itself that wouldn't cause a vibration. But it could be the sensor that is bad and the vibration is unrelated.

If you see an ODO DATA ERROR message, def time to replace the TSS/OSS sensors. If the dealership does replace one of the two, try and get them to replace the other as well. No point in doing the work "twice".

No such error message yet....that's what makes this so different from the other threads on this issue. Waiting to hear back from the dealer sometime this morning. Will post findings.

UPDATE: :)

Just picked up my 08 Edge. Running great now!

Issue causing the problem (according to my local dealer who did the work): Left front drive shaft. I was having an issue with the traction control, ABS and Wrench light coming on after 65. The issue causing this was the tone ring went bad. Unfortunately, the entire front left drive shaft had to be replaced. The tone ring is wielded on to the shaft and the only way to replace it.

What helped with the lights coming on was the ECM throw out a C1233 code.

Consequently, the vibration issue I was having was related to the shaft. Now that the shaft was replaced, it runs great.

Thankfully my extended warranty paid off and covered this. Was able to solve two issues for the price of one. :clapping:

Hope this helps someone with a similar issue!

• Like 1

UPDATE: :)

Just picked up my 08 Edge. Running great now!

Issue causing the problem (according to my local dealer who did the work)...!

I had the exact same symptom and same solution on my right front. Yes, the ring is connected to the shaft somehow so everything needed to be replaced. 2009 AWD Edge. Mine happened at about 130,000 miles.

Hello Ford Fam,

Thanks for sharing the great news, and your solutions! I’ll be happy to document your dealer feedback. Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’m make sure it’s noted! :)

Tricia