Issues

buzzmanable

Few things:

2012 Ford Edge SEL eco boost with 66k

Upon cold start, the steering wheel squeaks when turning either directions until the engine is warmed up.

Rear power door opens again after it is nearly closed when using either button on fob or in hatch or on dash. Nothing is blocking it. This happens about every other time I use the trunk.

Dealer claims they fix both of these but did not. Please advise what I should say!

Also, I have the pano moonroof. Am I able to get a roof rack? Please advise which ones are good. Prefer to shop off of amazon.

Edited by buzzmanable

video or be able to demonstrat the issues. Then it is undeniable and they will have to WORK to fix it and perform a true diagnostics which takes time and mechanics do not like to take the time to fix the issue and trace problems.

what mac said...if its not on a scanner with a code or a service update then they are going to see it work three times and send it out the door. i had the same issue with my rear hatch..

try this

Power Liftgate Initialization

NOTE: The power liftgate may not operate correctly under the following conditions:

• A low voltage or dead battery

• A disconnected battery

• Repairs/adjustments have been made to the power liftgate rod, power liftgate motor, liftgate hinges or liftgate striker

If any of these conditions has occurred, the power liftgate must be reinitialized.

1. NOTE: Battery power must be removed from the Liftgate/Trunk Module (LTM) for 20 seconds before the LTM will enter the initialization mode.

Disconnect the battery or remove the LTM fuse(s).

1. Wait 20 seconds and reconnect the battery or reinstall the LTM fuse(s).

1. If liftgate is not already in the fully closed position, manually close and fully latch the power liftgate.

1. NOTE: Make sure the power liftgate system is turned ON in the message center before performing this step.

NOTE: If the power liftgate does not open during this step, refer to the Symptom Chart to diagnose the inoperative power liftgate.

Power open the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch.

1. Once the power liftgate is fully open, close the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch

mine would shut all the way but would not engage the latch,it would emmediately re open..i dont do the dealership unless i literally have no other option. but assuming you have extended warranty? i also closed one time by hand not slamming it but let it seat in the latch.it worked but sounds like the initialization is more of the fix for your half way issue..good luck let me know if it works

Edited by fit1446
  • Like 2

I do have an extended warranty. Thankfully I got it!!!! I got the issue with the hatch on camera. Next up is the squeak in the steering column. At least they gave me a 325i loaner to compensate! But still did not solve the issue because it did not reoccur for them. I showed them the video, but now will have to wait to take it in until end of month. They also are giving me a free 60k tune up, $600 value. I know how to fight those suckers. (original post says 66k, but I meant it has 56k)

tune up? what does that even mean anymore??.... lol. that is how they will justify giving your car back in 3 weeks, but sir we had to perform your tune up..we had to adjust your points and that takes a while! did they do anything to it the first time it was in? if you shut it manually buzz does it pull the latch shut? well i hope they do the right thing,good job on the video though... by the time they r done your rear hatch will have been operated as though you had 100k miles

They said it will take a day, I don't mind. this thing won't let me attach the image of which work will be done. They did nothing the first time it was in except readjust the cargo cover. "It looked like it was catching on that." BS. At least I finally got it on video with nothing blocking it from coming down. So they will need to redo the whole damn thing till it's fixed. I haven't had time to play with it myself. Very busy with work and don't even get home until dark. Leave at dark to. I will try this weekend to mess with it manually.

Use the MORE REPLY OPTIONS to make file attachment available to you. There is a file size limit, I think of 4.88MB, should fit most images easily. Or host the pic on a site like photobucket/flickr and link back here.

They said it will take a day, I don't mind. this thing won't let me attach the image of which work will be done.

• Like 1

First , great job w the video! Terrible job starting the video with your phone held the wrong direction. But this is the same issue I had w my rear hatch door. Exactly the same. Can I ask specifically what has been done to fix this issue? Even the things you think may be stupid that you have done.

have you unhooked the battery lately or done any work to the vehicle? is your battery new or possibly low? and lastly and you or anyone can laugh but have you literally shut the door by hand once? dont slam it but shut it with enough force to seat the latch.

Power Liftgate Initialization Procedure

If the LTM loses the logic battery supply for any reason, such as battery disconnect, module disconnect or if left open for more than 6 hours, the LTM will lose the power liftgate position stored in memory and will attempt to open when the liftgate switch is pressed the first time.

The power liftgate can also lose position if the following components are removed, adjusted or disconnected:

• Power liftgate motor

• Liftgate hinges

• Power liftgate rod

• Liftgate striker

test D has many steps and requires testing equipment . doesnt really matter anyway if you are taking to dealership. my point is i followed these steps and fixed mine by realligning my door.and re initializing.it happened after i removed the driver quarter trim panel and having to disconnect the swith to remove panel.

• The power liftgate does not operate correctly — reverses during the power close operation

• Circuitry

• Power liftgate latch

• Position sensor

• LTM

• Power liftgate rod

• Pinch strips

• Mechanical binding

Edited by fit1446

Wow just wow. I would never pay for that and pay that much. Most of it is not needed. Especially with just 66k. Trans flush and that is not even mentioned and if it has not been done I would recommend changing the transmission fluid. Then radiator fluid and then brake fluid and last but not least power steering fluid. Have you changed the lift struts on the rear hatch? Might be a good idea it sounded as if it was closing hard. New lift struts might make all the difference.

here is the service that I will be getting. Also, I have provided the YouTube link to the video of the power door not latching.

http://youtu.be/5mESbbFSr-0

• Like 2

So what is a list of things that I can copy and past that I should tell them to check? I see you say the **New Lift Struts**. yes, it does close somewhat hard, especially when around 55 Degrees outside.

On the service, what should I swap out for them to do the Trans, Radios, Brake and PS fluids? and 56K miles. I made a *typo* in my original post.

Wow just wow. I would never pay for that and pay that much. Most of it is not needed. Especially with just 66k. Trans flush and that is not even mentioned and if it has not been done I would recommend changing the transmission fluid. Then radiator fluid and then brake fluid and last but not least power steering fluid. Have you changed the lift struts on the rear hatch? Might be a good idea it sounded as if it was closing hard. New lift struts might make all the difference.

its ok they are not going to do even half of it anyway

So what is a list of things that I can copy and past that I should tell them to check? I see you say the **New Lift Struts**. yes, it does close somewhat hard, especially when around 55 Degrees outside.

On the service, what should I swap out for them to do the Trans, Radios, Brake and PS fluids? and 56K miles. I made a *typo* in my original post.

here is the list you give them.....

1) FIX MY DAMN CAR AND FIX IT SO I DONT HAVE TO COME BACK IN TWO DAYS BECAUSE YOU WERE TO LAZY TO ACTUALLY DIAGNOSE THE PROBLEM AND JUST STARTED WITH THE REPAIR THAT PAID THE MOST BILLABLE HRS THAT YOU COULD FINISH THE QUICKEST.

there is the list. :)

• Like 1

You may want to determine if either of the below-attached Technical Service Bulletins were considered by the dealer when the initial liftgate repair was attempted.

TSB 12-3-9 Liftgate Bounceback - Reprogram Liftgate Module.pdf

TSB 12-3-3 Rear Liftgate Intermitent Reopening.pdf

Shortly after I purchased my new 2012 MKX, it exhibited the same liftgate behavior shown in your YouTube video.

My local dealer performed the reprogramming procedure on the Liftgate Module, and it permanently corrected the liftgate re-opening problem.

Past panoramic roof rack discussions can be found here, here, here, and here.

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2

Thank you! I just sent the dealer an email with both of those attached. I do have BOTH issues.

While I was there the other day making my appt. I had them activate my running lamps. it is nice to have lights on in front. they are just the turn indicators, so obviously they are yellow, but makes me feel more comfortable. will upload pic if wanted. I was hoping it would be the LEDs, but oh well!

Like you, I had the turn signal filament DRLs activated on my 2012 MKX.

With the plethora of white DRLs on the road, I've always hoped the amber color might be more noticeable.

You may want to keep spare bulbs on hand, since the bulbs will burn out more quickly, due to their full time DRL duty.

If you choose, you can become proficient at the blind, one-handed, in-up-to-your-elbow, through the loosened inner fender liner, socket removal & bulb replacement procedure.

You may notice the socket body becoming scorched by the ongoing use of the turn signal filament, but I've had no melting occur that affected the socket itself.

You may also notice that your DRLs remain functional when your parking lights are activated, but the bulbs return to standard operation when your HID headlights are turned on.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I also have the same vehicle (with 82,000 on it) - but just started having trouble with the power liftgate. It opens just fine, but when reaching the top, starts beeping multiple times rapidly and closes automatically. When turning off the power liftgate option, it won't stay up. This tells me the struts (liftgate support) is failing and I just need to install new ones. Am I correct in that diagnosis?

• Like 1