Powdercoated wheels

FedEdge

First off, hello! New here to the forum but loving what I see so far...now as for the topic...

Has anyone else here had their stocks powder coated yet?

Having the stock 18's off my tuxedo black edge SEL powder coated in gloss black on Monday...excited to see the results! Aside from that I've just added some 5% tints all around (minus the windshield) and just placed my order for the ddm tuning ultra canbus hid kit :) take care!

• 3 weeks later...

I have the 2015 Sport and 20" wheels. I sent them off last week for PVD coating in Onyx black they should be done this Friday 11th

got 2 back and painted the silver wheel weights black, also sent the center caps to match wheels but that take 3 full weeks.

http://americanpvdcoatings.com/pvd-chrome/

Edited by Picturepro

PVD Onyx black chrome $175 ea.

I have all 4 wheels almost complete and will wax wheel face tomorrow. Center caps were sent and might be back end of next week

so I have to roll for a few days. Black to match the wheels :)

This is what I started with...

gallery_44577_16400_327611.jpg

and a quick photo before cleaning them this afternoon....

PVD Onxy black chrome ( there is black chrome and Onyx - the is Onxy much darker)

med_gallery_44577_16400_572742.jpg

Edited by Picturepro
  • Like 3

Took me a couple hours. Seems water is trapped behind the center cap and was RUSTING the center hub and rotor face that meet the wheel and studs

I smeared synthetic grease all over to hopefully slow or stop the rusting. Breaks with suck to break free a rusted rotor and center hub in a couple years. I took some preventative action

med_gallery_44577_16400_100089.jpg

Edited by Picturepro
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

Now that you mention it - I don't remember seeing any chrome clad wheel options on any new Ford vehicles. Are they still making/selling them?

I could have sworn dealer said the 18" are? I just checked a window sticker on their site comparable to the vehicle I purchased and it says "painted aluminum"? I will check my sticker when I have a chance to double check.

Maybe I'm starting to hear things! :)

I think they may have quietly discontinued them. Never had a problem with the ones on our 2008 Edge - 6 years old when we traded it and they looked brand new. But repairs were pretty much impossible. It will be nice to not have to hear people complaining about their "plastic wheels" any more if true.

No chrome clad or PVD options listed for the 2016 Edge, but there are several PVD options for the new F150.

PVD is pretty cool and looks to be far better than chrome clad. It's like a paint in that it's not electrically bonded - it's deposited by vapor between a base coat of powder paint and a clear coat and can be repaired.

I think chrome clad has gone Tango Uniform.

• Like 1

Awesome news, I found a place in Michigan that you can do a swap for money off new wheelS. You buy your OEM rims with a PVD coating on them, they send once you replace your original rims package them back up and send them in they refund you.

I may try this out. Haven't gotten as far as seeing pricing