The 2G Rattles and Squeaks Thread

cjh

If any of you are like me, rattles can drive you absolutely mad and can take away from the experience of an otherwise great vehicle. I dealt with many rattles in my Fusion, one requiring countless trips in for service before a dealer was able to get it resolved. I was bummed to pick my Edge Sport up last week with 2 factory installed rattles with 20 miles on the odometer. One was coming from the drives back door trim panel, the other from the cargo area. Below are the notes the service tech wrote up regarding the two rattles in my Edge, both are now resolved thankfully.

"Customer states driver side rear door trim seems to be squeaking. Sound is similar to rubber on rubber noise. Road tested and verified customers noise concern. Removed left rear door trim panel and applied flock tape to the upper area near the inner belt seal. Reinstalled door trim. Road tested after repair and noise is gone."

"Customer states there is a noise coming from rear cargo area or possible the vista roof when going over bumps. Sounds like plastic is looks and rattling. Road tested and verified customers noise concern. Installed cashes ears and road test. Found noise coming from the rear hatch around the weather seal area. Adjusted bump stops and applied silicone lube to rubber stoppers. Road tested and noise is gone."

Let's use this thread to document, troubleshoot, and post solutions to our rattles.

• 7 months later...

Found this but it wasn't linked in the other thread.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=81&t=19964

I wouldn't be too keen on doing this at home but it seems that the roof panel next to the moonroof may be the cause of some noises.

So far, mine has been reasonably quiet. I'm pretty annoyed by consistent rattles (periodic noises due to rough roads don't bother me).

However, I noticed I was getting noise like plastic shuffling popping from the rear. I had the windows tinted and was wondering if they removed a panel to get a clean line on the tint of the hatch. Sure enough, tapping on the interior paneling on the hatch it's pretty noisy and not very snug. I had some window A/C foam you can pick up at Lowes around. It comes in different sizes. The interior panel running along the top of the rear hatch window was loose but fully secured via the plastic pins. I gave a slight tug and release two pins so I had some room and shoved the foam inside along the top. Making sure it was down far enough inside to be secure. Popped it back in place and now when tapping on it no more noise.

Went for my normal drive today and it seems much improved.

Every vehicle I've owned has had rattles, cheap to expensive. My 4Runner had odd noises. A really bad rattle on windy days coming from the front a-pillar. Never fixed it except to pound on it.

My '12 Subaru WRX was horrible. I had foam in almost every pillar and interior trim piece. 09 Civic I had the door cards off multiple times due to rattles and the sunroof rattled horribly.

My '15 Evo was a lost cause. Every single piece of interior rattled. I had felt and foam everywhere on that too.

Good luck in tracking down all your rattles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, does anyone here have any experience with the worst squeak possible on their 2015+ coming from the rear hatch area? It appears to have popped up the last couple of days and is horrific as you drive over rough roads and bumps on the highway. It is a really high pitched squeak that sounds like plastic or rubber pieces creaking and squeaking as they rub over each other. I have been running a lot of errands and travelling the last few days and tried everything including taking everything out. I can only tell that it appears to be around the rear hatch. When I raise the hatch and jerk it around, I can hear some minor squeaking there as well although I am not certain what is squeaking. If the hatch is closed, I can make some minor squeaking by pushing down on that trim right below the glass that houses all of those fancy LED's for the rear lights. I have absolutely no time to make a trip to the dealer as this is my busy time so I was hoping someone here might have had this happen before so that hopefully I can make a real easy fix.