Programming 2015 Ford Edge Intelligent Access Fob

Hey guys. I am trying to reprogram a IA Fob for my 2015 Edge. i lost the second fob and had the dealer replace it wish a new fob. My service advisor told me that if we found the lost fob, I can reprogram it since they deleted the information on the car for the lost fob.

I've been looking at the manual for reprogramming the IA fob but I cant seem to find the "backup slot". Any one have and ideas or programmed a fob by themselves?!

Check out page 72 in the owners manual. (Back of center console).

That's what I have been doing but I still cant seem to figure it out. I know on some other Ford's there is an actual slot where the fob sits in. the only thing in the center console that I'm finding is on the bottom, there's a weirdly shaped grove. I have tried placing the fob in that grove and following the programming steps but I have been unsuccessful.

I did find this at first. I tried following the steps to program the fob but it hasnt worked. I will give it a try again and see what happens. If not I'll have to go into the dealer and see what's up. Thanks a lot guys!

Believe the buttons on the remote, must face the back of the car.

• 1 month later...

Used the documented procedure from manual to find the default keyless code by using both fobs.

Found that, the correct fob position is "buttons up" and key ring facing the rear - if looking into the image from post #6, the void in the backup slot for the ring is perfectly visible, so that position did work for me.

Another thing is that I've put the actual keys into each fob just to have fobs ready for 'manual' operation.

(did not try if "buttons down" does work as well :) )

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had success with programming and displaying keypad code. I turned the "Easy Entry" feature off and swapped the keys out as quickly as I could. After the final step in the programming sequence, the door locks clicked to indicate sucess. I think the manual should read "no more than 5 seconds" instead of "wait 5 seconds"

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the older style key fob for the 2015-2016 ford edges? I came out of a 2013 lease into a 2016 and I prefer the key I had before.

This one is a lot bigger and isn't very comfortable in my pocket, plus I've had unlock/lock buttons activate by mistake from just being in my pocket and pressure being applied.

Edited by Mage266

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the older style key fob for the 2015-2016 ford edges? I came out of a 2013 lease into a 2016 and I prefer the key I had before.

This one is a lot bigger and isn't very comfortable in my pocket, plus I've had unlock/lock buttons activate by mistake from just being in my pocket and pressure being applied.

Probably not possible, and if I recall correctly, at least for the fobs with remote start, the frequency is different.

• 3 years later...
On 5/21/2016 at 11:20 AM, pnewby said:

I finally had success with programming and displaying keypad code. I turned the "Easy Entry" feature off and swapped the keys out as quickly as I could. After the final step in the programming sequence, the door locks clicked to indicate sucess. I think the manual should read "no more than 5 seconds" instead of "wait 5 seconds"

Indeed!  All other instructions stated "wait 5 seconds"... I tried that several times and failed miserably!

Finally did as you suggested... NO WAITING...Just do it as fast as you can, and voila!  SUCCESS AT LAST!!

• Thanks 1

• 4 years later...

It took me several tries, but I finally got a new Fob programmed for my 2015 Edge.  Thanks to the above exchanges I was able to learn from their wisdom and errors.  I followed the instructions on page 72 of the owners manual as recommend above.  After several failures I reread the instructions.  If the paragraph before the 7 programing steps it says that all 7 steps must be completed within 30 second.  Doing those 7 steps with in 30 seconds was the key to my success.  That worked on the first try.   All the functions on the new Fob work properly except the remote starting.  I seldom use that function, so that is not important to me for a safety backup Fob.  You have to do the 7 steps crazy fast to get it done within 30seconds.  I had to use a timer to check how fast I was doing it. I can't imagine why they designed it like that.  I would like to have a chat with the engineer that though the  30 second time limit was a good idea.  I purchased the new Fob on Amazon.  It is a NPAUTO Key Fob Replacement.  It cost $48.74 with tax.  It had the highest rating of all the different aftermarket fobs offered.  It showed 11 satisfied customers, with all 4 and 5 star ratings.  I will give it a 4 star rating because the remote start feature does not work.  I have a question about the insulator between the two batteries in the Fob. I took it out of two of the three Fobs that I now have but left it in the third Fob.  They all seem to work regardless of whether the paper insulator is between the batteries or not.  What do you know about the insulator?  The new one I got had a thin plastic washer between the batteries as an insulator.  Any thoughts?

• Thanks 1