Loud bang when going in to reverse.

cjb

Hi all, have two questions for you guys.

I have an 08 with 105k miles on it. For some time now the Edge makes a loud bang 80% of the time I put it on reverse. I know about the sensors that are typically at fault for transmission related issues but I don't know if it apply to my particular problem. I don't have any codes but every now and then I do get the no power under acceleration that can only be solved by restarting the car. Any ideas?

Second question. With 100k miles is time to do some maintenance and spend some money on it. (spark plugs, accessory belts, EGR replacement, front brakes and most likely the TSS and OSS sensors) Already replaced the fan assembly, rear brakes, windshield washers, roof antenna.

In your honest opinion at 100k miles is the Edge worth investing on it or am i better off trading in for something else?

Thank you all.

Second question. With 100k miles is time to do some maintenance and spend some money on it. (spark plugs, accessory belts, EGR replacement, front brakes and most likely the TSS and OSS sensors) Already replaced the fan assembly, rear brakes, windshield washers, roof antenna.

In your honest opinion at 100k miles is the Edge worth investing on it or am i better off trading in for something else?

Thank you all.

I would say it's all realitive to your situation. Is the body rusting out? Interior still nice, or showing definate sings of wear? Engine smoking?

If it's still good overall, 100k is nothing for a modern auto. My 09 MKX at 92k still looks and runs like showroom. (Ok, maybe not, but she's as close as you can get for 92k miles).

Point is, if your happy, don't want car payments and after investing a grand in fixing her back up will conceivably get 3-4 more years of reliable transportation, then I would say, absolutely.

A new one will cost you over a grand just for plates, full insurance, excise tax, sales tax, etc.

Granted, nothing beats a new car, but .... a car is transportation first, and a luxury second.

Edited by enigma-2

Has your Edge ever been recalibrated? You should check the dealer to learn about the current calibration available. Ford has addressed many an issue that way.

Also, does it make any difference whether the Edge is on level ground or an incline? Come to a complete stop before shifting to Reverse?

The power loss issue is likely to be the TSS/OSS sensors (as mac pointed out). Eventually you will get an ODO DATA ERROR message in the instrument cluster if you let it go long enough.

In your honest opinion at 100k miles i better off trading in for something else? Thank you all.

YES, when they start nickel and dime-ing (big ones) they just get bigger, and what a great excuse for a new car, I pour money down the new drain rather then the used one, more fun and the same results, the car companies win, you lose! .......Look at leasing? :)

The problem with getting a brand new one is it will always be more expensive than keeping an older one. Of course you get a lot for that extra cost.

If you buy another used one then you may end up with one that needs even more work than the one you already have.

If you want to save money keep it. If you're just tired of it and want something different trade it for a new or used model but don't do it just to save money.

Has your Edge ever been recalibrated? You should check the dealer to learn about the current calibration available. Ford has addressed many an issue that way.

Also, does it make any difference whether the Edge is on level ground or an incline? Come to a complete stop before shifting to Reverse?

The power loss issue is likely to be the TSS/OSS sensors (as mac pointed out). Eventually you will get an ODO DATA ERROR message in the instrument cluster if you let it go long enough.

No recalibration that i know off. Any ideas how much to have the dealer recalibrate?

Im in Miami so for the most part is all level ground and I do come to a complete stop before shifting. Sometimes when going from drive to reverse i even put it on nutral first to unload the trans then shift to park. Do you think is related to the TSS/OSS?

My original plan when I purchased the Edge new back in 08 was to keep it for at least 10 years. It has been reliable so far only now is starting to bug me a little.

Thank you all.

You are doing pretty good, 80% of your plan has materialized!

All depends on the dealer, sometimes they will charge the 15-30 min of time it takes, a few will do it for free (courtesy, if you go for maintenance work regularly). They should at least be able to check for you for free. Also, pull codes from the PCM to see if it's telling you anything. Not all codes set check engine lights. If you don't have a reader, auto parts stores like AutoZone, Advance Auto, OReilly's, Pep Boys etc should be able to do it for free, maybe even tell you the most common fix for any codes they do retrieve.

TSS/OSS: Do you have access to a lift? Worked with cars before? It's a lengthy procedure, but perfectly doable with patience. You will be draining the trans to get at the sensors, good time to change out the trans fluid also. Best to do both sensors, because a majority of the steps are in common.

Try LevittownFordSuperCenter (Benny) on this site, they are great to work with and competitive pricing to boot.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/10937-employee-pricing-on-all-parts-accessories/page-13

Also, look on RockAuto (3176826629064514 = discount code, put it in Where Did You Hear About Us box), Amazon, and EBay. Deals crop up from time to time there also. I do prefer to go with Levittown for whatever I can though.