Sync 3 2016 upgrade to CarPlay

To be honest, after looking at how well applink works, I am no longer too excited about AA or Carplay.

The ease of apps working with your cars infotainment without having to take your cell out of pocket is too good to be true.

AA & Carplay will need USB connection. So my dream now is to see more apps supporting Applink.

With Totyota embracing that technology instead of AA/CA, I hope the dream will come true.

I agree. I really like the idea of AppLink. It basically can give the functionality of your smartphone interface, but with the automakers GUI maintained (I hate that Carplay and AA all look the same in every vehicle - takes away from the uniqueness of each vehicles infotainment system).

Sure I'll run out there right now.

Yes it's 2.0, I can't figure out how to post pictures off mobile site, or I'd show the USB module as well.

The one strange thing is she has mobile apps like mine but it will not let me "enable" them. The little toggle switch won't move like mine to the on position and which point mine says plug in a phone to enable the apps

Edited by Tjm623

Yes. Sirius is the only app displayed unless you plug phone in. The apps need to be running in the background ( screen can be off )

I know, I'm saying on the escape it won't let me even get into the menu. It displays a toggle switch that says turn mobile apps on, when trying to move the switch nothing's happens. My edge works just like you explained.

To be honest, after looking at how well applink works, I am no longer too excited about AA or Carplay.

The ease of apps working with your cars infotainment without having to take your cell out of pocket is too good to be true.

AA & Carplay will need USB connection. So my dream now is to see more apps supporting Applink.

With Totyota embracing that technology instead of AA/CA, I hope the dream will come true.

I'm assuming applink is the "native" thingy for Sync 3? (Similar to Pioneer AppRadio which is very different from AA/Carplay)?

If so, does it let you voice control your Android/iPhone via the steering wheel like AA/Carplay?

ie:

Press button on steering wheel, say:

Play iHeart Radio

So iPhone has to be plugged in via usb to use app link? Can someone explain how exactly it works? Is It a native version similar to CarPlay? I'm actually pretty excited to use CarPlay on my 16 sport when upgrade is available. But in the meantime would love to try applink. I've been really busy and haven't had any time to read about anything since I've gotten the vehicle. So any quick rundown about applink would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Just bring a USB lightning cable in the car, plug ohone into USB port and select the mobile apps menu.

Turn on a app via your phone that is applink enabled (iheartradio, Pandora?(not sure), there's a few others). Some apps have to be on your phone active others can be run in background. You should get controls for app on screen and steering wheel/ voice controls.

I haven't done it because I don't use any apps that I need that much control over to have my phone plugged in. There isn't a real great spot to set the phone either with how short the cable is.

Android doesnt need to be plugged into USB for Applink. Only iphones might have that disease :-)

With android, just let the phone be where it is be it your pocket, purse, trunk or wherever.

Then press the voice button on steering wheel and say (for example) "spotify" & voila, spotify on your sync3 screen !. Or simply choose spotify from the audio sources in the car. Or, click the apps button on the screen for all compatible apps.

I love it. Just hope more apps join the gang.

Android doesnt need to be plugged into USB for Applink. Only iphones might have that disease :-)

With android, just let the phone be where it is be it your pocket, purse, trunk or wherever.

Then press the voice button on steering wheel and say (for example) "spotify" & voila, spotify on your sync3 screen !. Or simply choose spotify from the audio sources in the car. Or, click the apps button on the screen for all compatible apps.

I love it. Just hope more apps join the gang.

I'm assuming it's linking via bluetooth then (degredation of audio quality, IMO) vs.Carplay with lightning connector? Or does it use wi-fi direct? Obviously without a wired connection there's no actual mirroring of the display, so you're probably dependent on whatever applink shows you? (although same with AA/Carplay).

I will say my iPhone (I used to have Android) is much better on the battery/heat than Android.

Although I thought I read that AA requires USB connection (no wireless yet). But I could be wrong.

I'm assuming it's linking via bluetooth then (degredation of audio quality, IMO) vs.Carplay with lightning connector? Or does it use wi-fi direct? Obviously without a wired connection there's no actual mirroring of the display, so you're probably dependent on whatever applink shows you? (although same with AA/Carplay).

I will say my iPhone (I used to have Android) is much better on the battery/heat than Android.

Although I thought I read that AA requires USB connection (no wireless yet). But I could be wrong.

Yes, the audio goes to sync3 over Bluetooth which I thought was the case for iphone also.

I dont see how bluetooth degrades audio quality. Bandwidth of BT 4 is more than enough for music streaming IMHO.

You are right, AA does need a USB connection. But seems like WiFi AA is coming (not to existing cars though maybe)

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/18/11700174/android-auto-update-wi-fi-support-ok-google-io-2016

I've always heard Bluetooth degrades audio quality. But not sure if that is Bluetooth of yesteryear or it's still the case. Personally unless you have a insane audiophile setup in your vehicle. I highly doubt you will be able to notice that much of a difference with stock speakers.

If you can.you should be upgrading your speakers anyways! Anyone with that good of an ear wouldn't keep stock speakers

Yes, the audio goes to sync3 over Bluetooth which I thought was the case for iphone also.

I dont see how bluetooth degrades audio quality. Bandwidth of BT 4 is more than enough for music streaming IMHO.

You are right, AA does need a USB connection. But seems like WiFi AA is coming (not to existing cars though maybe)

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/18/11700174/android-auto-update-wi-fi-support-ok-google-io-2016

BT4 may expand the bitrate, but not sure if Android supports it. I'd have to look up iOS vs. Android. I know with Android 4.2 at least, that Google never allowed the full range of BT profiles. iOS does. One of the reasons, on the Pioneer head unit I have, anyway, that if you have iPhone, using regular BT audio, you can actually use the steering wheel controls to go through folders, etc. But on Android you can't because Google didn't allow one of the profiles needed for that.

I did notice (again, specific to my Pioneer head unit which does NOT support BT 4) that streaming the iTunes stuff via Android doesn't sound as good as it does over lightning cable with iPhone. Note, that on the Pioneer 4000 NEX, iPhone only uses USB/Lightning cable if you're in carplay mode. Otherwise, both iPhone and Android in "app radio" mode, stream all the audio via bluetooth and it uses HDMI for the video syncing to the head unit (which, BTW is touchy with Android, not sure about iPhone).

• 4 weeks later...

I would just like to add based on a few minutes playing around with carplay....if you have NAV built into your vehicle...carplay seemed pointless (played with it on my bench setup). The Ford Pandora app is 100 times better then using Pandora in carplay. I am sure I will experiment some more but initial impression...blah.

If you don't have NAV and can put up with Apple Maps then this might be a good option for you.

Edited by jmr061