Sync 3 2016 upgrade to CarPlay

Hi maherj,

Luxpow is correct! SYNC Connect is separate from those features and will not be available on the 2016 models through any upgrade option. Apple Carplay will require a USB connection and is not compatible over Wi-Fi. You can read more about how it works here:

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/sync-3/apple-carplay/sync-3-plus-apple-carplay-support.html

Joy

Joy,

I am sure you have a release date of AppleCar Play for the 2016 Edge. I purchased my 2016 Edge Sport Jan 31, 2016 and a friend purchased his in May and he has CarPlay. Odd... The dealer said his shipped with it.

"Note: Apple CarPlay is available on 2017 model year Ford vehicles with compatible SYNC 3. Owners of 2016 model year Ford vehicles with SYNC 3 are required to perform a software upgrade and purchase a hardware upgrade to use Apple CarPlay. Please check back on the Ford Owner site this summer for more information about these upgrades."

Added note, I took this off the Ford website.

Edited by enigma-2

Hi maherj,

Luxpow is correct! SYNC Connect is separate from those features and will not be available on the 2016 models through any upgrade option. Apple Carplay will require a USB connection and is not compatible over Wi-Fi. You can read more about how it works here:

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/sync-3/apple-carplay/sync-3-plus-apple-carplay-support.html

Joy

Thank you Luxpow & Joy for the clarification. I'm happy to hear that Connect isn't required (I wasn't sure due to the 'mobile features') and I would only use it for the auto start (which I don't have any issues on the remote start). I am looking forward to hearing more details about Apple Carplay integrations over the summer. I hope this is also available to Canada as well!

• Like 1

Joy,

I am sure you have a release date of AppleCar Play for the 2016 Edge. I purchased my 2016 Edge Sport Jan 31, 2016 and a friend purchased his in May and he has CarPlay. Odd... The dealer said his shipped with it.

Hi bbleecker@me.com,

I don't have an official date for you yet, but it is coming!

Thank you Luxpow & Joy for the clarification. I'm happy to hear that Connect isn't required (I wasn't sure due to the 'mobile features') and I would only use it for the auto start (which I don't have any issues on the remote start). I am looking forward to hearing more details about Apple Carplay integrations over the summer. I hope this is also available to Canada as well!

You're welcome, maherj!

Joy

• 4 weeks later...

Given this:

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/20894-ford-bolsters-availability-of-sync-3-plus-apple-carplay-android-auto;-tech-offered-on-all-2017-model-year-cars-suvs-light-trucks-and-electrified-ve/

I'd think that they'd be having the update for the 2016 model fairly soon. Especially since what, August 24 or something is the last day to order a 2016 Edge?

I'm very curious to see how well Ford integrates it into the Sync 3 system. So far all the vehicles/head units I've looked at, it's a "separate" item. Meaning you have to manually switch between the infotainment system and Carplay (and vice versa). You can't like push a button and speak to the car/head unit and have it switch between everything. Once you're in Carplay, you can have Siri do things, via Carplay (but it's NOT Siri Eyes Free, unfortunately). And then if you want to get to the infotainment system again (ie: Sirius/XM/FM/AM, you have to fiddle with the controls/touchscreen in order to do so).

Not sure about AA.

• 2 weeks later...

Will it be possible to add Sync Connect to my 2016 Edge? Clearly if it's possible it will cost more than $27 ☺.

My wife has this in her escape we just got. I'm not sure...it sits in one of her cubbys under the cargo floor and has two different wiring harnesses attached. If those wires aren't there(I doubt they are) you may have a hard time trying to rig the modem up.

It is pretty nice though. Much better than having to use fob to do it in range. Plus being my wife's vehicle I have it on my phone as well, gives me ability to check up on car without having to drive it regularly. I can see fuel, miles and I believe it'll send messages when maintenance is due.

Much easier way to keep track of both vehicles

There hasn't been an official release date that I know off. New model 16s starting sometime in July are shipping with an updated APIM that is running version 2.0 but DO NOT have the carplay USB ports.

I believe I found another vehicle (17 with car play) that uses the same USB port as my 16 Edge and have ordered that as I have an APIM with 2.0 in it sitting on my desk. Once I get the USB ports I will play some and probably stick it in the Edge.

Edited by jmr061

There hasn't been an official release date that I know off. New model 16s starting sometime in July are shipping with an updated APIM that is running version 2.0 but DO NOT have the carplay USB ports.

I believe I found another vehicle (17 with car play) that uses the same USB port as my 16 Edge and have ordered that as I have an APIM with 2.0 in it sitting on my desk. Once I get the USB ports I will play some and probably stick it in the Edge.

I am very interested in your progress. Please keep us posted ?

So is it a totally new APIM or just a software update?

So is it a totally new APIM or just a software update?

The official upgrade will be a software release and hardware (USB hub) if you want to use Carplay. Neither has been released yet. I just happen to have an APIM with 2.0 in it however. Without getting into too much detail there are many hardware versions of the SYNC3 APIM already. Some support 2.0 already, some don't. Somewhere mid July or so the new 16 Edge's being built are equipped with 2.0 versions of the APIM but NOT the USB hub.

I should get the USB hub tomorrow that I believe will work in the 16 Edge and then I will test it with the spare 2.0 APIM I have to see if Carplay functions with it. If it does, I will be taking the car apart and installing them.

• Like 1

My goal with the above is to confirm whether or not the USB hub I am getting will work/fit in the 16 Edge and be appropriate for Carplay. If it does, people can order theirs early (if they wish to replace it themselves) and be ready for when the 2.0 update is released. I do not know if the software update will be available to dealers only or not. I suspect it will be available to the end user since Android Auto won't require a new USB hub and I can see AA users getting ticked if they have to go to the dealer just for software but one never knows until Ford officially releases it.

Don't know why Ford is keeping this update so hush-hush. I was assured that when I got my 16 Edge Sport that I would have CarPlay by summers end. Still hoping that happens! I was also told it will be a $100 software upgrade by my dealership. I take what they say with a grain of salt because sometimes I know more then they do when it comes to things like this. But unfortunately I cannot get any answers about anything when it comes to the upgrade for 2016's. I sometimes wonder if Ford is still trying to figure it all out.