Tires mounted inside-out??

07SEL

Good day all Edge drvers, :reading:

A quick question for anyone driving a 2007. Check your continental tires and see if the tire says "outside" or "inside". I just had new tires put on my Edge (only 18,000miles long story, but alignment was wayyyyy out) and I just got back from the dealer. I was looking at my tires and they say "inside" on the outer tires around the rim, if you crawl under the vehicle to look at the other side of the tire, it says "outside." Does this sound backwards to anyone else, or does it even matter? Wondering if I should go back to the dealer.

Thanks for your help,

07SEL

Good day all Edge drvers, :reading:

A quick question for anyone driving a 2007. Check your continental tires and see if the tire says "outside" or "inside". I just had new tires put on my Edge (only 18,000miles long story, but alignment was wayyyyy out) and I just got back from the dealer. I was looking at my tires and they say "inside" on the outer tires around the rim, if you crawl under the vehicle to look at the other side of the tire, it says "outside." Does this sound backwards to anyone else, or does it even matter? Wondering if I should go back to the dealer.

Thanks for your help,

07SEL

Hi 07SEL. :D I would go back and point this out to the Tire Retailer where you had the work done.

What Manufacturer and Model tires are they? Often, the Manufacturer website will give very good information on tire models and uses. If we know the info, we can take a look.

Normally, it does not matter unless the tires are "Directional" (they will have an arrow on the sidewall which should roll in the forward direction when the car is rolling forward) or "Asymmetric" (tread pattern is different on inside half of tire than the outside half).

It sounds as though you may have purchased tires with an "Asymmetric" tread, and they mounted them on the wheels incorrectly.

Let us know what happens.

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks bbf2530,

I failed to mention these were factory continentals replaced (at the dealer) with factory continentals. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed if there edge`s factory tires were mounted the same. I do not think these tires are directional, but why would continental make a point of marking "inside" and "outside"? Food for thought.

Thanks bbf2530,

I failed to mention these were factory continentals replaced (at the dealer) with factory continentals. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed if there edge`s factory tires were mounted the same. I do not think these tires are directional, but why would continental make a point of marking "inside" and "outside"? Food for thought.

Hi 07SEL. :D Well, as I mentioned above, they could be "Asymmetric" tires (this is different than "Directional").

"Asymmetric" tires are sometimes meant to be mounted a specific way on the wheel, with one sidewall inside, the other outside, due to the "Asymmetric" design of the tread. It is for optimum handling and water evacuation during driving.

If you would post the model name of the tire (and the size would help), I or another member who gets to it before me can look the tire up and may be able to find the answer on the Continental website.

That is why I mentioned that you should go back to the Dealer and ask the question, or call Continental and ask them. If it were me, I would call Continental (and post the requested information here).

Not trying to be a wise guy, but asking if others have the same situation will not get you the correct answer as to whether the tires are installed correctly.

Post back with the information, and we will try to help.

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks again bbf2530.

I went outside to look at the tires more closely. They are Continental Cross Contact LX 245 60R18 M&S. I looked up on the continental web site and found this;

ContiCrossContact™ LX

Asymmetric Tread Pattern

Tri-net silica tread compound

Acoustic Alterra Technology

Progressive interlocking sipes

Asymmetric tread pattern: Optimized performance of the contact patch for a predictable luxury ride.

Tri-net silica tread compound: Provides improved traction in dry, rainy and winter driving conditions. Long tread life with lower rolling resistance for increased fuel economy.

Acoustic Alterra Technology: Creates a luxury tire with a tread pattern that minimizes noise and provides a comfortable ride.

Progressive interlocking sipes: Interlocks the tread blocks, for excellent traction and directional control for all-season conditions.

So there it is... looks like these tires are Asymetrical and do indeed have an "inside and outside" Therefore I will go back to the Ford dealer tomorrow and tell them the news...YOU MOUNTED MY TIRES BACKWRDS!

Thanks for your help!

Thanks again bbf2530.

I went outside to look at the tires more closely. They are Continental Cross Contact LX 245 60R18 M&S. I looked up on the continental web site and found this;

ContiCrossContact™ LX

Asymmetric Tread Pattern

Tri-net silica tread compound

Acoustic Alterra Technology

Progressive interlocking sipes

Asymmetric tread pattern: Optimized performance of the contact patch for a predictable luxury ride.

Tri-net silica tread compound: Provides improved traction in dry, rainy and winter driving conditions. Long tread life with lower rolling resistance for increased fuel economy.

Acoustic Alterra Technology: Creates a luxury tire with a tread pattern that minimizes noise and provides a comfortable ride.

Progressive interlocking sipes: Interlocks the tread blocks, for excellent traction and directional control for all-season conditions.

So there it is... looks like these tires are Asymetrical and do indeed have an "inside and outside" Therefore I will go back to the Ford dealer tomorrow and tell them the news...YOU MOUNTED MY TIRES BACKWRDS!

Thanks for your help!

Hi 07SEL. :D Just keep in mind, as I mentioned above, that not all "Asymmetric" tires have mounting limitations. Some can be mounted with either sidewall inside or outside.

However, the fact that your tires have "Inside" and "Outside" stamped on the sidewalls, would lead me to make an educated guess that yours do have a mandated mounting limitation, and are likely mounted incorrectly. Again, just an educated guess.

That is why I would try to give either Continental, or a Certified Continental Retailer in your area a call and ask them if your particular model (ContiCrossContact™ LX) has any mounting specifics. Tell them that your tires have "Inside" and "Outside" printed on each sidewall.

The Dealer may be wrong, or they may be right. If they admit they are wrong, great. If they argue and say it doesn't matter, at least if you called Continental (or a certified retailer) first, you will have some back up evidence.

Let us know how things work out.

Edited by bbf2530

You certainly like to hear yourself talk, don't you??

No P. Just enjoy helping people solve their problems when I can (something you have not done once since you joined :rolleyes: ).

This would be in sharp contrast to all eight of your posts, which generally have been nothing but childish, sophomoric and rude. Way to keep up the good work. By the way, yes your posts are on record for everyone to see, so stop behaving like an Internet troll.

The original poster thanked me, you bitched and moaned. :redcard: Who do you think mattered? Your post was not helpful and certainly irrelevant. :banghead:

And by the way, it is the written word (not talking), and can not be heard (it is read). :hysterical:

Edited by bbf2530

I had the same issue. When I went to rotate my tires for the first time I noticed one of the tires said "Inside" and the other three said "Outside". These were also the Continentals (CrossContact LX P245/60 18). I took it to the dealer and they turned the tire around, rebalanced, and did the rotation. I had not noticed any handling issue but these tires are directional so I guess it matters if they are mounted correctly.

:reading: I called Continental head office this morning and they said the tires are mounted wrong and need to be corrected ASAP. Continental was very friendly and helpful.

I then called the dealer, they first said they would have to call me back as they did not know about the asymmetrical tires. After several hours they called back and asked if I would bring the Edge back in, they said they would correct the error in mounting the tires backwards. So I’ll take it back later in the week and all should be well.

Thanks for your help bbf2530, PROTUS your words were so profound! :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...

motorcycles come with that arrow also. you "usually" can run them mounted either way EXCEPT in the rain. some of the guys who go to the track will turn the tire to get the use out of the other side of the tire to save some bucks. i imagine "rain" would be the main reason for this. my 2cts.

It can be tread design, but as you say, not direction of rotation. Regardless of where on the vehicle a wheel is fitted the outside is always the outside.

I first had asymmetric tread tires on a Citroen DS in the 1970s (Michelin XAS). I believe that the outer tread is more open design and possibly a softer compound for better grip when cornering. Middle and inner part of tread is tighter and possibly harder which prolongs the life of the tire.

Whatever, if the tire has inside and outside marked, then there is only one way to fit them. And I certainly hadn't noticed, so thanks for the original posting.

Cheers, Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I have rotational tires on my other truck, and i know that their mounting is very important to their performance(hence the "directional" markings on the tires). Therefor i cannot do a conventional tire rotation,(left front goes to right rear) without having them unmounted, turned around, remounted on the rim in the opposite direction. In my knowledge, they would not put a "inside" and "outside" marking on the tires if they didn't mean something... just my 2 cent!! :reading:

Glad you pointed this out! I just checked mine and they are all mounted with OUTSIDE on the outside. I have the Continentals also, mine are the ones that came on the Edge when I bought it. Good info!!! I'm glad I checked mine.

I hate continentals, I would rather have Michelin.