Adaptive steering fault

I think Ford calls it active steering because it is literally changing the steering ratio on the fly depending on what is going on. Pretty neat how Ford accomplished this without resorting to some steer by wire type of setup.

BMW has had this technology for a while. What's so different that Ford is doing?

Wasn't BMW's system an actual 4 wheel steering system like on the Honda Preludes of yore along with some Acuras? Other luxury cars I know utilize some sort of drive by wire system. Ford innovated a variable ratio system by being the one to actually integrate all of the hardware into the steering wheel assembly itself thus providing a high end luxury car feature to people on a beer budget. It started with the Edge Sport and is now in the new SuperDuty. I expect it to eventually become part of the higher trim levels on nearly every vehicle in their lineup as that has been something Ford has been doing for the last decade. Take high end features and package them at a more affordable price point. Of course I also have no doubt that this strategy is also partially cannibalizing sales from their Lincoln brand.

• Like 1

Our wheel was replaced yesterday, after having the car at the dealer for 19 days. They also took care of the airbag recall and a TSB related to the rear seat not releasing from the rear switch.

Good to know also, also I found out anyone who wants that tach back its in settings/display where it never was before it and is defaulted to off. I was hoping to get the tsb done for airbag soon do you happen to have the number of it? I only got a letter stating it would be Q2.

Malcolm

Just to add more info to my previous posts on this subject:

After getting the updated adaptive steering software installed, and regaining that functionality, I noticed two DTC codes in Forscan, related to the Steering Angle Sensor not being initialized / calibrated. Brought car back to dealer, and they saw the codes, reset the SASM Trim, and codes cleared. It also seems to have brought the adaptive "feel" back to the steering as well.

So.... either get Forscan to view your DTC codes, or make sure that there is an indication on your paper work that they performed the steering angle sensor calibration, and checked for any DTC codes, post install.

Edited by VisionPilot
  • Like 1

Just to add more info to my previous posts on this subject:

After getting the updated adaptive steering software installed, and regaining that functionality, I noticed two DTC codes in Forscan, related to the Steering Angle Sensor not being initialized / calibrated. Brought car back to dealer, and they saw the codes, reset the SASM Trim, and codes cleared. It also seems to have brought the adaptive "feel" back to the steering as well.

So.... either get Forscan to view your DTC codes, or make sure that there is an indication on your paper work that they performed the steering angle sensor calibration, and checked for any DTC codes, post install.

Super good tip. Thanks. I am going to check my paperwork.

• Like 1

Well, I just found out about this Adaptive Steering thread by accident today. The only reason that I am on this forum is because I have a '17 Edge Titanium on order, and it is being held up by the Driver's Package availability, meaning probably because of the Adaptive Steering problems that people are having using up all the parts.

From my salesman, Mar. 3.

Just spoke with inventory manager. An update went out today that the Drivers Package is 100% exhausted right now. Like we spoke about, probably the adaptive steering.

Now some good news. :) :) :)

My salesman was at a 2017 Superduty Road Show, for dealers only, in Phoenix recently, and he is raving about how great the AS worked on the Superduty. They had a laid out course to try out the Ford, and also had competitive Chevy and Ram trucks to compare with the Ford.

The vehicles were all fully instrumented to measure performance parameters and compare them. What he found out was, that to cover the course, the competition had to turn their steering wheels 11+ something turns, and the SD did the same course with 8+ something turns. They had it down to the decimal point. He said you really noticed the difference going from truck to truck.

So the point of this long-winded post is to say that we should hang in there till this is sorted out, because it does work and well. Even though it is my wife's Edge, I'm looking forward to trying out that AS.

• Like 2

You will be fine. the early birds who have been having this adaptive steering issue have pretty much helped Ford work out the bugs in getting the fix in. I am a bit worried because your build date is right around my build date which means that I am not in the clear yet. I am at 13k miles now. Just get with your dealer so that they can get the process started. If the wheel has to be replaced, it may take them some time to get it in.

FWIW, the fault warning light has come and gone several times over the past week, and is now off. Though I can tell the adaptive steering function is no longer working. Since I'm on vacation, I haven't taken the Edge in to the dealer for the steering wheel fix. Will update the thread when that's done with the results. Still loving the Edge, though!

FWIW, the fault warning light has come and gone several times over the past week, and is now off. Though I can tell the adaptive steering function is no longer working. Since I'm on vacation, I haven't taken the Edge in to the dealer for the steering wheel fix. Will update the thread when that's done with the results. Still loving the Edge, though!

I would just while you know it's not working go into the engineering mode and take a picture if you have any dtcs. That way you have proof when you get home.

Hey, rvcjew. How do I get into engineering mode?

Hold the left side OK button while starting the car keep it held till a prompt appears in the left side then release and go up and down for the different screens, you want the dtc screen. It has thngs to test the gauges ect. Don't change any of the things farther down as it might reset your fuel meter ect. I don't believe you can hurt the car with any of that though. It's self explanatory in each screen.

Good luck.

(Referring to the link put up by macbwt on page 19)

I love the statement about Takata air bags.

Air bag inflators that can fail and "injure" people.

Is a punctured carotid artery an injury?

Remember the old Ford slogan "Ford has a better idea"

I'm not against technology, I'm against dealing with a company (Takata not Ford) that has covered up its problems and is dragging its feet on recalls. Just about every month there are new cars added to the Takata recalls. Takata should be spending all of its resources on airbag replacement and not developing new toys that will just end up on new recall lists.

I prefer to point my car where I want it to go.

Edited by PaulSchott

(Referring to the link put up by macbwt on page 19)

I love the statement about Takata air bags.

Air bag inflators that can fail and "injure" people.

Is a punctured carotid artery an injury?

Remember the old Ford slogan "Ford has a better idea"

I'm not against technology, I'm against dealing with a company (Takata not Ford) that has covered up its problems and is dragging its feet on recalls. Just about every month there are new cars added to the Takata recalls. Takata should be spending all of its resources on airbag replacement and not developing new toys that will just end up on new recall lists.

I prefer to point my car where I want it to go.

We think precisely alike. I hate everything about that company. Because of them, I will most likely not be buying another Ford. Sucks.

• 3 weeks later...