Turn off cargo area illumination?

Even though I have a '16 MKX, I'm going to assume that this function is similar. I cannot figure out how to turn off the rear cargo area lamps when one of the 4 passenger doors is opened. Turning off the passenger area dome lights is done via a toggle button in the overhead console, but this does not disable the two lamps in the hatch area. Is this an issue with the '15+ Edge?

Even though I have a '16 MKX, I'm going to assume that this function is similar. I cannot figure out how to turn off the rear cargo area lamps when one of the 4 passenger doors is opened. Turning off the passenger area dome lights is done via a toggle button in the overhead console, but this does not disable the two lamps in the hatch area. Is this an issue with the '15+ Edge?

Hi VisionPilot, I have a 2016 Edge and the issue is the same. Even with the interior lighting toggle off, the cargo area light still comes on. Haven't run across any ways to modify said behavior.

• Like 2

Probably not want your looking for, but you can have dealer enable a feature called "dark mode" it's made for police vehicles but basically kills all the interior lights when a door is opened. Does seem strange that there's no way to shut that light off, although I don't know why you'd need it off either?

Seems like a fringe case nobody in engineering bothered with. Just curious as to why you want this shut off?

Probably best bet was listed above, pull the bulb

You could simply disable the "hatch open" switch so that the lights would not turn on. Or you could install a switch for either just the cargo area lights or for all courtesy lights depending on your needs.

The two hatch area lights come on when one of the front doors open, how will disabling the hatch switch affect that situation?

My comment was directed at All Hat No Cattle who said that opening the hatch and having the lights come on would ruin his night vision (the post immediately preceding mine). If that was the only situation where he wanted to disable the lights then disabling the hatch switch would accomplish exactly that.

Edited by TheWizard

I'd have to imagine it's a pop off cap, most interior lights are.

I'd look alon the edge of it for any type of indentation or little change it the lense. That's probably where you wanna start prying at it. Might need a small flathead screwdriver to help. I find the ones in a eyeglass case are delicate and small enough for these type jobs myself

• Like 1

It's a 2016 right? Non-serviceable LED lamp. Replaced an an entire assembly I believe.

He's right I remember reading this in the manual. I believe it's stated on the bulb size chart if you look for that in manual index. There's a few other lights like this as well.

The only downside to LEDs I've ever found so far. But then again with bulb life dramatically increased it may never be an issue in my lifetime with the vehicle

It's a 2016 right? Non-serviceable LED lamp. Replaced an an entire assembly I believe.

Well that sucks. I truly find it annoying that those two cargo area lamps always come on whenever ANY door is open, and sometimes, when simply stopping the car, irrespective of whether the dome light toggle in the overhead is off.