2017 Ford Edge Sport Gas Mileage

Sierra

You guys should come to Eastern KY. You would probably cry at how bad fuel economy can get as it is up and down really steep grades everywhere you go. Also no gentle acceleration as you are constantly nailing the hell out of your gas pedal in order to pass the next logging or dump truck before the uphill grade ends and the truck lane ends. I must go WOT at least 5-6 times a day. You also nail the gas going downhill at times to get out of the way of those same semis as they scream down using Georgia overdrive to build up speed for the next uphill climb. I can average 28.5mpg on flat highway travel going 68-72mph, but I have been seeing low teens lately. My paint job has also gone to hell as I am constantly getting blasted by gravel.

Edited by junehhan
  • Like 1

Pretty much. The speed limit is 55 but the problem is the speed differential. You have these people who are hell bent on going 45-50 in a 55 and then you have nearly everyone else that is hell bent on going 70+. Even the semis and dump trucks scream through at the highest speeds they can manage which makes me nervous at times. I upset the balance because I try to go 60-62mph except for the downhill grades where I let gravity do the work. I have had people scream past me at the bottom of some of the grades even though gravity had gotten me to 80mph. The upside is that the scenery is absolutely beautiful no matter where you go here in Eastern KY and the people are so nice everywhere you go with that famous Appalachian hospitality. The people are why I have fallen in love with this region as it is so different from the city.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently on my 5th tank of gas and averaging 12.7 mpg on this tank of gas. All city driving at 25 to 35 mph in DRIVE.

Ugh, I'm getting the same, sometimes a little better. I'm all city driving, well at least 80-90% and I get about 15MPG. I'm in Canada so in metric thats about 15L/100KM... at that rate I'm getting around 400 KM (249Mi) per tank till the yellow low gas warning comes on. Not exactly stellar gas mileage. In Canada, especially BC where I am gas is crazy expensive too... On average 1.30/L, so it costs me about $75'ish per tank. Thats with being very light on the gas. This will set me back about $300.00+ a month in fuel...

The EPA is way overrated on this vehicle for any type of city driving IMO says 13.6/100 or 21 MPG I am just not seeing this unless I have come off a nice long HWY run tailored into the city and it averages out but thats not a real measurement... The HWY EPA is 9.8/100km or 29 MPG... and I was able to achieve this on a nice HWY trip over the weekend that was a 240 km round trip stretch. It does well for its size on the HWY IMO, but just horrid no matter how grandma you drive it in the city. What a wallet shocker...

I'm also testing out the 3.5L non turbos, and the 2.0 dual scroll and to be honest they are not that much better, but a bit... I think its just that this thing is over 4000 pounds... I feel like i bought a fat sports car.... ugh.

Basically every time you take off, you're in boost. These turbos spool at such a low rpm & when they start to make boost, you use more fuel. The biggest factor is how you drive. You cannot drive a boosted car the same as a n/a car & expect the same mileage.

When my wife drives our 2.0 Edge, she gets around 20 city driving. She must love the torque or something, i don't know. But when i drive the same conditions, i get around 25.

Planning ahead for stops to limit idle time & not accelerating to stop are keys. Tailgating & jerking the gas pedal also don't help fuel economy. Cruising at 80+ miles an hour will most likely mean that you're in boost, using more fuel if you weren't in boost. Cruise control isn't always the best option for optimum fuel economy. Any little grade & it mashes the gas to get back to the mph it was det for. Our Edge will coast damn near forever if you let it. I've gotten over 33mpg in our Edge, but then we started getting into mountains & that went down to 28mpg.

Before you start to complain about the mileage, maybe rethink your driving habits.

• Like 2

Basically every time you take off, you're in boost. These turbos spool at such a low rpm & when they start to make boost, you use more fuel. The biggest factor is how you drive. You cannot drive a boosted car the same as a n/a car & expect the same mileage.

When my wife drives our 2.0 Edge, she gets around 20 city driving. She must love the torque or something, i don't know. But when i drive the same conditions, i get around 25.

Planning ahead for stops to limit idle time & not accelerating to stop are keys. Tailgating & jerking the gas pedal also don't help fuel economy. Cruising at 80+ miles an hour will most likely mean that you're in boost, using more fuel if you weren't in boost. Cruise control isn't always the best option for optimum fuel economy. Any little grade & it mashes the gas to get back to the mph it was det for. Our Edge will coast damn near forever if you let it. I've gotten over 33mpg in our Edge, but then we started getting into mountains & that went down to 28mpg.

Before you start to complain about the mileage, maybe rethink your driving habits.

Bingo....very true!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I get awful mpg in my 16 sport, I average about 13.5 now with 11k on it, but I drive very aggressive and almost always in sport mode, plus I don't put many miles on it and mostly short trips. I'm basically worst case scenario. Laughably I only get 1.0 mpg more compared to my previous 07' 5.3 L vortec Tahoe. But then again most of us with a sport weren't necessarily buying for fuel economy.

I've had my 2017 Sport since 9 March, 2400 mi, and get 20 to 22 mpg with 80% highway and 20% town driving (light traffic) - no lead foot driving.

I reset my No. 1 trip meter every fill-up and the computer mpg is very close to my calculated mpg based on gallons to fill and distance covered.

I'm now at 16K miles and getting a steady 23 mpg, but on occasions , when I wear my lead boots , it drops off sharply.

I'm happy with the performance and consumption.

It has such good low down torque that I could do my complete commute without exceeding 2200 rpm - that's where the tacho sits at 80 mph on the highway - for my regular driving the tach doesn't go past 3000 rpm.

on our wonderful 85mph texas highway i have a 30 mile commute to work everyday. it'll hold around 23mpg depending on wind conditions. when we do our road trips i average 27mpg at 65mph.

when i'm stomping around town and not letting people pass i'm about 18mpg. (still better than their 17-24mpg rating)

all of this is on the 93 performance tune. pretty happy with that, but i'm not like roots, i keep it in "D" and just paddle down 2 gears if i feel a need for speed.

Those of you running tuned gen-II sports are getting equal to or better than stock fuel economy. And it appears as though I am quite the lead-foot. @ 13.5 mpg, I must be getting the worst gas mileage of any Edge owner lol. I knew that I'd get much lower than advertised mpg's based on my driving style, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. I guess I could try to drive like a normal human being for a week and see if I can get something more respectable.

We get about 10.5 to 11 l/100km in town (22mpg)

8.4 to 8.9l/100km highway (28mpg)

Running exclusively 94 Octane (Husky with 10% Eth) in Summer and 91 VPower in Winter.

I think people are missing the fact that some of the people posting here with better fuel milage are FWD and not AWD.

Good point, to update my post, its a 2016 Edge Sport AWD with the optional 21s on Pirelli All Season Rubber, sitting on about 25 000km.

I've got a roadtrip coming up next week, will be doing about 1000km and will update this post when I get back.

I think people are missing the fact that some of the people posting here with better fuel milage are FWD and not AWD.

AWD on the stock 20's, 7800 miles

Those of you running tuned gen-II sports are getting equal to or better than stock fuel economy. And it appears as though I am quite the lead-foot. @ 13.5 mpg, I must be getting the worst gas mileage of any Edge owner lol. I knew that I'd get much lower than advertised mpg's based on my driving style, but I didn't expect it to be this bad. I guess I could try to drive like a normal human being for a week and see if I can get something more respectable.

Hey, someone once said it, and i repeat it often. Start counting the Smiles per gallon instead.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2017 Edge Sport (AWD of course) stays between 19.5-19.7 mpg. I do about 55 miles round trip to work, and probably 40 or so of that is interstate. I usually go between 80-85 mph. In my previous 2014 Edge Limited (AWD, 3.5 v6) I was getting about 1 mpg less with the same scenario. Car has less than 4k miles so far and I haven't changed the oil yet or anything. Not sure if it comes with "break-in" oil or if changing it will make a difference anyway. I use 93 octane. I will say, I can tell a huge difference watching the real-time mpg bar float back and forth stays above 20 A LOT more when I slow down and go 75 vs. my normal driving. Put me in the Smiles per gallon category I guess, and I actually am trying to get good mileage lol (like not flooring the car and trying to maintain constant speeds). It is just the rate of speed that is hurting mine.

Ok, being a commercial pilot with a life of logging things religiously, tracking fuel usage, maintenance logs, etc... I log each and every litre that goes into our vehicles. I only mention the pilot thing to evidence that I have some understanding of how to provide accurate findings. Also, Very easy to do with an app called road trip and I would recommend it to anyone who is into stats.

It has now been a year and 2 days owing my 2016 titanium and I filled it up 31st. We have achieved 13.37 l/100kms, 17.59 mpg US combined over the year with lots of highway miles. Way different than the sticker, but who is surprised there. I do not drive this car aggressively, use coasting techniques etc....

But what bothers me more, is that the computer results are ALWAYS reading better mileage, usually right around 1.5l/100 Kms or about 2.5mpg better. This is reoccurring and repeatable. So in other words I would get a result on the car of let’s say 19mpg mainly city when in reality, if you replace the fuel you used, is more like 16.5mpg, or the true mileage. This is what I normally get in reality. This car is not good on gas. The freestyle I had returned accurate mileage display and the 3 last years of ownership I tracked it at 20mpg, exactly what the computer would read. I have brought this up with the dealer and they look at you like you have three eyes. You would never get any action by ford unless there were hundreds of us reporting accurate, accountable findings. Incidentally, my wife’s car, a 15 Kia Soul, has averaged 9.67 l/100. Exactly the 9.7 readout on the car’s display.

But I assume no one really cares about the nuances of what the display is reading (although it has impacted other manufacturers for misstating fuel readings). The topic is this car is not good on gas, and the readout it is telling you, I think you will find, is not accuarate. Cheers, Bruce.

Ok, being a commercial pilot with a life of logging things religiously, tracking fuel usage, maintenance logs, etc... I log each and every litre that goes into our vehicles. I only mention the pilot thing to evidence that I have some understanding of how to provide accurate findings. Also, Very easy to do with an app called road trip and I would recommend it to anyone who is into stats.

It has now been a year and 2 days owing my 2016 titanium and I filled it up 31st. We have achieved 13.37 l/100kms, 17.59 mpg US combined over the year with lots of highway miles. Way different than the sticker, but who is surprised there. I do not drive this car aggressively, use coasting techniques etc....

But what bothers me more, is that the computer results are ALWAYS reading better mileage, usually right around 1.5l/100 Kms or about 2.5mpg better. This is reoccurring and repeatable. So in other words I would get a result on the car of let’s say 19mpg mainly city when in reality, if you replace the fuel you used, is more like 16.5mpg, or the true mileage. This is what I normally get in reality. This car is not good on gas. The freestyle I had returned accurate mileage display and the 3 last years of ownership I tracked it at 20mpg, exactly what the computer would read. I have brought this up with the dealer and they look at you like you have three eyes. You would never get any action by ford unless there were hundreds of us reporting accurate, accountable findings. Incidentally, my wife’s car, a 15 Kia Soul, has averaged 9.67 l/100. Exactly the 9.7 readout on the car’s display.

But I assume no one really cares about the nuances of what the display is reading (although it has impacted other manufacturers for misstating fuel readings). The topic is this car is not good on gas, and the readout it is telling you, I think you will find, is not accuarate. Cheers, Bruce.

I'm assuming you have the 3.5 liter NA engine and not the 2.0 liter EB? I'm surprised you get that much of a discrepancy between the computed MPG and calculating it yourself using the oldschool method. 2.5 MPG difference is a lot!

Trip update; drove about 1 000km over the holidays, most of it highway... Unfortunately, roads were covered in snow and it was -36 outside. Having said that, driving the Edge fully loaded (trunk stuffed to the roof, 3 puppies, 1 baby, 1 driver, 1 wife) we still managed 11l/100km over the 1 000km. That included a lot of cold start 15+min idles.

Will redo the test in the summer, there is just no point in doing this in -36

>But what bothers me more, is that the computer results are ALWAYS reading better mileage, usually right around 1.5l/100 Kms or about 2.5mpg better. This is reoccurring and repeatable.

Yes every Ford I have had, and even a BMW, always are high compared to logging manually. I see 1.5~ 2.5 depending on the vehicle (Edge, Escape, F250). It is very repeatable and consistent.