PTU drain plug drill and tap

karpcbk

Unrelated to your questions, I was at my local Ford dealer last week for new tires and we talked about changing the fluid in the PTU.

I had mentioned that there was no change interval for the PTU (09 MKX) and he corrected me, stating that that Ford does have a change procedure by sucking out the old fluid, ? if the PTU had been in water, such a flooded street. In fact, it HAS to be changed under those conditions. (Been a requirement at least since 2008, if not before.) Said that it was in the owners manual, actually found it.

So it makes me wonder where those other dealers are coming up with this no-change crap. It's required under those conditions.

• Like 1

Correction: I found a dealer that WILL change the PTU oil here in the Dallas area. The Service Mgr I talk to said that he had had a number of requests for PTU oil changes and originally told owners that there was no change option. BUT, after a number of requests (and rather than miss out of the revenue) he said he met with the service tech's and they worked out a service procedure. SO, his dealership will change the PTU oil for $120.00 but that other dealerships may not offer it. So it looks like its hit or miss a dealership. Just check as suggested above.

Correction: I found a dealer that WILL change the PTU oil here in the Dallas area. The Service Mgr I talk to said that he had had a number of requests for PTU oil changes and originally told owners that there was no change option. BUT, after a number of requests (and rather than miss out of the revenue) he said he met with the service tech's and they worked out a service procedure. SO, his dealership will change the PTU oil for $120.00 but that other dealerships may not offer it. So it looks like its hit or miss a dealership. Just check as suggested above.

That sounds like a reasonable, flexible and customer aware dealership. I wish I could find one like that in my local Los Angeles / Simi Valley area. I hope you write them a good review on Yelp / Google+ or whatever. When faced with a customer request, they adapted and came up with a solution.

My local dealership; Simi Valley Ford; they did the opposite. They told me it was "impossible" to suction it out, and I told them I had done it myself a dozen times. Then they met with their "lead mechanic" then they all dug in their heels and told me essentially they know best and it costs $460.00 to pull the PTU, per "THE MANUAL". So I went down the street and had a quick change oil shop do it.

Also, this is a AWD problem; in some areas they don't have many AWD. Here in CA, 99% of Edges are FWD, so they're not used to dealing with xfer cases.

I just moved out here, and didn't have my equipment or location to do it myself anymore.

http://www.simivalleyford.com/ #simivalleyford @@fordmansimi @@fordservice

Edited by jlkansascity

When faced with a customer request, they adapted and came up with a solution.

More likely, they realized they were losing business. Shame the other dealerships don't get this message.

So I went down the street and had a quick change oil shop do it.

Can I ask who you used and how much did you pay? I paid $80 at local Ford dealer, partly because of the price of the fluid itself. (Was told $40 of the $80 was for the fluid.)

Edited by enigma-2

I went down the street to Xpress Lube (yes, I have written them good reviews on Yelp) and they changed the engine oil (with synthetic) and did the PTO for I think $100.00. And, until the NEXT oil change, they will check levels on both of them for FREE. So, until I do the next oil change, I can pull in and they'll check the transfer case for no charge. Now that's service. I almost feel guilty, knowing what a pain it is to check. They charge $49.96 for just a gearbox oil change and they do it while you wait, you don't even have to get out of the vehicle. They also check all fluids and tire pressures and clean the windshield.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/xpress-lube-service-center-simi-valley-3

http://xpresslubelps.com/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just learned about this issue the other day. Might as well service mine now and get ahead of it before it becomes an issue ! Sounds quite expencive. I've only had my 2013 edge sport for almost a year and a half. I'm currently at 50k miles. How often do you have to service this ? I'm not seeing any info on that. Until when you notice the leaking.

I'm currently at 50k miles. How often do you have to service this ? I'm not seeing any info on that. Until when you notice the leaking.

I talked with a mechanic at my local dealer and, although there is no recommended service interval, he recommended the flushing the PTU every 30,000 miles.

For reference they found mine was starting to leak at just under 90k. Had the seal replaced and new fluid.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

This thread has been incredibly enlightening. Have an 08 with 85k miles. The original PTU was replaced at 34k miles, and the seal replaced at 55k miles.

The local AAMCO guy was willing to suck out the sludge, anf refilled it for 40 bucks, since the Edge was on the lift forca rear bearing change.

The vent has been puking out oil like crazy the first week, given the PTU likely just has sludge inside. But the Edge shifts incredibly smooth now, and no bucking under load. Helps the spark plugs were changed too. I plan to take it back in another week for another suck out and refill.

I did see a Ford dealer in northern NJ who offers the BG service on thecwebsite and plan to call if they offer a suck out and refill option.

I do hope my PTU is not toast, and can run a couple of years.

Thanks agsin to the great folks on this forum and thread- you all are awesome!!

• Like 1

Try a local transmission specialty shop. Probably better equipped to do this anyway.

Btw, it's not that Ford is telling their dealers not to do it, there's no official procedure for it and it's completely up to the dealer whether or not to do it. My guess is, once they change the fluid and 'should' there be a PTU problem, you could go back and claim they caused it. My local dealer does it and even recommends it at ~30k intervals.

• Like 1

Try a local transmission specialty shop. Probably better equipped to do this anyway.

Btw, it's not that Ford is telling their dealers not to do it, there's no official procedure for it and it's completely up to the dealer whether or not to do it. My guess is, once they change the fluid and 'should' there be a PTU problem, you could go back and claim they caused it. My local dealer does it and even recommends it at ~30k intervals.

You are so right. Can imagine many scenarios of PTUs likely sludged up, they go in to Ford for a refill, and it all starts puking out through the vent and causing a stink inside since the AC pulls in the fumes from the hot exhaust pipe.

A reputable transmission shop in my town who have been around 40+ years knew exactly what I was requesting when I called and said they can do it for 90 bucks.

Edited by doji_nj
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My 2015 Edge had a bad PTU at 42K miles, after a dealer replaced a leaking input shaft seal before I bought it used at about 22K. If the first dealer really did just replace the seal without changing oil, that seems funny. OTOH, if they "serviced " the unit and it only lasted another 20K miles, that gives a lifetime of only 42K miles, even with an oil change every 20K miles, or so. The PTU was replaced because of gunk coming out the vent and metal filings in the gunky lubricant. Sounds like a life of only 40K, even when replacing a seal at 22K. Looks like keeping the edge only until the powertrain warranty is about to expire. Sad, because I really like the car, otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add to the discussion.... I have a 2013 Edge with 95k miles. I came across this topic and decided to change the ptu fluid imagining it has never been done. I could only siphon out about 2oz due to it being so thick. I ended up putting in a drain plug shown earlier in the thread. Put the front end of the car on jacks, drilled into the bottom of the ptu, let the oil drain for about 10mins, tapped it, put the plug in and filled it. I was surprised by how thick the casing is but overall it was a simple job and only took about 2 hours from start to cleanup. Edge is getting better gas mileage and coasts a lot better as well. I plan on changing this every 12 months which is about every other oil change.

• Like 1

Just wanted to add to the discussion.... I have a 2013 Edge with 95k miles. I came across this topic and decided to change the ptu fluid imagining it has never been done. I could only siphon out about 2oz due to it being so thick. I ended up putting in a drain plug shown earlier in the thread. Put the front end of the car on jacks, drilled into the bottom of the ptu, let the oil drain for about 10mins, tapped it, put the plug in and filled it. I was surprised by how thick the casing is but overall it was a simple job and only took about 2 hours from start to cleanup. Edge is getting better gas mileage and coasts a lot better as well. I plan on changing this every 12 months which is about every other oil change.

Great job! Did you happen to take any photos of the job? I'm curious where you drilled the hole on the PTU unit. Also, what size drill bit, depth drilled, tap size, plug used, etc. I'd do this in a heartbeat if I had a more clear understanding of the procedure.

I had mine replaced about a year ago and it probably needs a fluid change by now and the dealer refuses to do it saying it's not necessary. So I asked them, if not necessary, why did it fail? They then said...'we just don't do that job'.

Thanks!

~Gary

Great job! Did you happen to take any photos of the job? I'm curious where you drilled the hole on the PTU unit. Also, what size drill bit, depth drilled, tap size, plug used, etc. I'd do this in a heartbeat if I had a more clear understanding of the procedure.

I had mine replaced about a year ago and it probably needs a fluid change by now and the dealer refuses to do it saying it's not necessary. So I asked them, if not necessary, why did it fail? They then said...'we just don't do that job'.

Thanks!

~Gary

Gary,

I didn't take any pictures, but I followed the post on pg.13 (

Used a 5/16 bit for the pilot hole. Pretty much the same location. I just took my best guess, didn't do any measuring. Took awhile to get through the casing: 1, I bought a cheap bit and 2 the casing was about an inch thick. After I broke through I let the oil drain. Went back through with a 9/16 bit, then tapped the hole with a 3/8 NPT tap, then put the fill plug in with a 5/16 hex. I put some tephlon tape around the plug just to be safe. Filled the ptu with 75w x 140 axel lube with an oil can. Drove the car about 5 miles to get the fluid moving and no leaks!

Bought the plug from Grainger $6 Item # 4CCF4

Bought the same tap and die set from Harbor freight $12

Genuine Ford Fluid XY-75W140-QL SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant - 1 Quart $22

Hope this helps!