PTU drain plug drill and tap

karpcbk

I donā€™t want to remove it if I might not be able to get it back on. I guess I either deal with it for a few more miles or remove the PTU and clean it out. How much trouble is it ripping that thing out? I donā€™t have a service manual.

For an experienced tech, about 4 hours of work. It's more of a pain dealing with the seals than anything else, because there are specific procedures to follow otherwise you will really muck it up. So if you are mechanically inclined and detail oriented, you could do it, and of course put new seals on, NO reuse. Can definitely get the PTU completely cleaned out this way, plus inspect gearing and bearings for wear.

Ā 

An option you might consider instead is to take the vent cap off completely and install a tube extension like they have for other model lines; thinking of the Taurus specifically. Basically a tube extending into the engine bay with the vent cap on top, much easier to service IF needed, but gives the lube more room to breathe. you will have to source the hose yourself as the Taurus hose diameter is different IIRC. You clamp the hose onto the vent, maybe a spring lock like you get from OEM or a regular hose clamp you get at the store.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I posted on this forum. As so many others have reported, I brought my 2013 Edge Limited AWD (47k miles) to the dealer to have an oil leak checked out. I was noticing a black spot on my garage floor, but didn't have any unusual sounds or performance issues to report. The service rep called this morning and told me the PTU is leaking and has to be replaced, and my car will be tied up for a few days. He said our extended service warranty should cover the repair, perhaps with a $100 deductible (he's waiting for warranty authorization and confirmation).

Ā 

After reading exactly 546 posts about this issue on this forum, I now realize PTU failure is a very common problem with Edges. I suspect this won't be my last PTU replacement if I keep the car a few more years, and the next replacement probably won't be covered under warranty.

Ā 

When my wife and I dropped the 2013 Edge off for service (before I knew the diagnosis), we stopped in the showroom and got really psyched about buying a 2018 Edge and becoming a 2-Edge family. We were planning to put a deposit on a 2018 Edge Titanium in the next couple of days before the current incentives expire. But to be honest, our enthusiasm for a new Edge (or any Ford) has suddenly been dampened after hearing about how common the PTU problem is, and how resistant Ford has been to remedy the situation.

Ā 

Toward the end of the 546 posts, I began to see a glimmer of hope, in that it seems Ford had finally provided a PTU drain plug on the newer models. It was unclear to me from the posts if this applies to all US models, or just the Sport. Can someone please clarify that the newer models have the drain plug to facilitate an PTU fluid change? And do all models have what appears to be the cooling baffle/deflector that JSchneid showed in Post #527? Have any other modifications been made in the newer models to help alleviate the problem?

Ā 

Our specific interest is in the 2018 Titanium 3.5L Ti-VCT V6 AWD.

Ā 

Thanks very much.

• Like 1

It's been a while since I posted on this forum. As so many others have reported, I brought my 2013 Edge Limited AWD (47k miles) to the dealer to have an oil leak checked out. I was noticing a black spot on my garage floor, but didn't have any unusual sounds or performance issues to report. The service rep called this morning and told me the PTU is leaking and has to be replaced, and my car will be tied up for a few days. He said our extended service warranty should cover the repair, perhaps with a $100 deductible (he's waiting for warranty authorization and confirmation).

Ā 

After reading exactly 546 posts about this issue on this forum, I now realize PTU failure is a very common problem with Edges. I suspect this won't be my last PTU replacement if I keep the car a few more years, and the next replacement probably won't be covered under warranty.

Ā 

When my wife and I dropped the 2013 Edge off for service (before I knew the diagnosis), we stopped in the showroom and got really psyched about buying a 2018 Edge and becoming a 2-Edge family. We were planning to put a deposit on a 2018 Edge Titanium in the next couple of days before the current incentives expire. But to be honest, our enthusiasm for a new Edge (or any Ford) has suddenly been dampened after hearing about how common the PTU problem is, and how resistant Ford has been to remedy the situation.

Ā 

Toward the end of the 546 posts, I began to see a glimmer of hope, in that it seems Ford had finally provided a PTU drain plug on the newer models. It was unclear to me from the posts if this applies to all US models, or just the Sport. Can someone please clarify that the newer models have the drain plug to facilitate an PTU fluid change? And do all models have what appears to be the cooling baffle/deflector that JSchneid showed in Post #527? Have any other modifications been made in the newer models to help alleviate the problem?

Ā 

Our specific interest is in the 2018 Titanium 3.5L Ti-VCT V6 AWD.

Ā 

Thanks very much.

I'd say the best way to be sure is to check the Edge you want your self. I believe the drain plug is only on Sport models, but not sure. Still, the PTU oil can still be changed even without a drain plug.

• Like 1

I just got my 2013 Edge LTD AWD back from the dealer after having the PTU replaced. The service manager said it was blowing gear oil out the top valve. If anyone is interested, they replaced it with a PTU Part Number AT4Z7251G. They also replaced a gasket 7T4Z9450AA and a seal 7T4Z 5F263AA. The work was covered under my Extended Service Plan, but I had to pay the $100 plan deductible. I hope this PTU holds up, but after reading through these posts I'm not very optimistic.

Ā 

The service manager said that they remedied the situation with a redesigned PTU on the 2nd Generation models, but only on the V6 AWDs. He says they haven't seen any problems at all with PTUs on the 2nd Generation models, although it's still early in the going for problems to arise.

Ā 

I'm still thinking about buying a 2018 Edge Titanium AWD, but my enthusiasm level is a lot lower after experiencing a major component failure at just 47,000 miles on a car that's been well maintained and driven with TLC.

• Like 1

I just got my 2013 Edge LTD AWD back from the dealer after having the PTU replaced. The service manager said it was blowing gear oil out the top valve. If anyone is interested, they replaced it with a PTU Part Number AT4Z7251G. They also replaced a gasket 7T4Z9450AA and a seal 7T4Z 5F263AA. The work was covered under my Extended Service Plan, but I had to pay the $100 plan deductible. I hope this PTU holds up, but after reading through these posts I'm not very optimistic.

Ā 

The service manager said that they remedied the situation with a redesigned PTU on the 2nd Generation models, but only on the V6 AWDs. He says they haven't seen any problems at all with PTUs on the 2nd Generation models, although it's still early in the going for problems to arise.

Ā 

I'm still thinking about buying a 2018 Edge Titanium AWD, but my enthusiasm level is a lot lower after experiencing a major component failure at just 47,000 miles on a car that's been well maintained and driven with TLC.

Change the PTU oil every 30K miles or less and you're unlikely to have issues.

Leaking PTU

New PTU seal

Invoice for PTU seal repalcement

I would encourage anyone with a Gen 2 EDGE (2015 - present) to look at the PTU seal for the right front wheel drive. Some of the original seals were defective or fail prematurly. This condition may only be on units with the 2.0L engine. My 2016 failed early, sometime before 7000 miles. The photos show the unit leaking, after repair and the parts used.

• Like 1

OK, so 3 days after the Ford dealer replaced the PTU on my 2013 Edge LTD AWD from the Ford dealer, I now have a bigger puddle on my garage floor than I did before they replaced the PTU. It's coming from exactly the same spot. The oil seems lighter in color and viscosity than the thick black gear oil that was on the garage floor before the repair, but I assume that's because the new PTU only has 37 miles on it and the oil hasn't had a chance to cook to sludge. Yeah, 37 miles, half of which were the trip back home from the dealer after I picked it up. I called the dealer an hour ago and kept getting sent to the Service Dept voicemail, which is what happens every time I call these guys. I'm still waiting for a call back. Two weeks ago we talking to a salesman about a buying a 2018 Edge Titanium and becoming a 2-Edge household. Now after this experience and reading what others have gone through with Ford PTUs, there's no way I will be rolling the dice on a new Edge. Once this car gets repaired properly and doesn't leak for more than a week, I'm getting rid of it rather than deal with this problem over and over again. This car was carefully driven and maintained, and at 47,000 miles I shouldn't have questions about whether this car can go the distance. I have lost my faith in my dealer's service department, and in Ford. Not a happy camper....

OK, so 3 days after the Ford dealer replaced the PTU on my 2013 Edge LTD AWD from the Ford dealer, I now have a bigger puddle on my garage floor than I did before they replaced the PTU. It's coming from exactly the same spot. The oil seems lighter in color and viscosity than the thick black gear oil that was on the garage floor before the repair, but I assume that's because the new PTU only has 37 miles on it and the oil hasn't had a chance to cook to sludge. Yeah, 37 miles, half of which were the trip back home from the dealer after I picked it up. I called the dealer an hour ago and kept getting sent to the Service Dept voicemail, which is what happens every time I call these guys. I'm still waiting for a call back. Two weeks ago we talking to a salesman about a buying a 2018 Edge Titanium and becoming a 2-Edge household. Now after this experience and reading what others have gone through with Ford PTUs, there's no way I will be rolling the dice on a new Edge. Once this car gets repaired properly and doesn't leak for more than a week, I'm getting rid of it rather than deal with this problem over and over again. This car was carefully driven and maintained, and at 47,000 miles I shouldn't have questions about whether this car can go the distance. I have lost my faith in my dealer's service department, and in Ford. Not a happy camper....

I feel your pain. I had a head gasket replaced on an 99 f150 by the dealer and in 1 mile I was turning around to take it back. Leaked oil so bad I left a smoke screen. They fixed it right the second time and Iā€™m still buying Fords. Just saying. All Fords and dealerships arenā€™t like the one you took yours to.

• Like 1

Enigma, a reasonable and logical question.

Ā 

My last 2 Explorers were 4WD and I really like 4WD. Here in NTX we get some nasty gully washers and an ice storm or two per season. Also, we go to East Tennessee sometimes for the holidays and it is nice to have the 4WD. Those are a few of the reasons I opted for AWD on the Edge - while I know it is nothing near 4WD, AWD gives/gave me a somewhat better feeling of surefootedness in bad weather and questionable road conditions. That said, if I had it to do over again (in deciding to buy an AWD Edge) I might reconsider getting the AWD due to the issues with the PTU. Knock wood, my PTU has not been a problem in 88k miles so far. And I change the gear oil religiously at 20k mile intervals with full synth (and I think that has a lot to do with not having any issues) but I know that POSSIBLY at any time it could develop a leak or outright failure and be a $4k problem. That, I do not need. I've had a number of FWD cars through the years and known them to be pretty reliable and tough. The transverse mounted FWD 6 cylinder configuration has proven itself to be a winner. And if driven properly, can be sure footed on ice/snowy/etc roads. When/If I do trade/sell this current Edge it certainly will be a Limited (I like the bells, whistles, and amenities) but I will pause to consider if I want to buy an AWD again. If Ford could figure out how to make the PTU more reliable and robust there would be no reason for pause but as it stands today with the current design of the PTU, I may not buy another AWD. Or I might just buy a darned Subaru Ascent Limited w/ their Symmetrical AWD System and not have to worry about it ever again. :)

• Like 1

Do you feel that you really need AWD? Plenty of folks here (Northern Indiana) that get around just fine with FWD.

I considered forgetting about AWD but I live in CT where the snow flies, and there's not a straight, level stretch of road anywhere nearby. The AWD has really helped me on more than a few occasions, and it's reassuring in snowy weather to switch to the AWD dash display and see how all 4 paws are digging in. FWD would eliminate the PTU worries, but I'd really have to think pretty hard about giving up the benefit of AWD. It's an option, but it's one I have to warm up to.

I have AWD, had the PTU replaced last year under extended warranty. Also have the lubricant changed by local dealer every 30k. (Although I haven't changed it since it was replaced).

If yours failed doing 30K oil change intervals I need to consider doing mine every 15K.

Ā 

I wonder what the current models failure rate actually is, and if there's any stats to confirm that oil changes are really effective in avoiding failures vs Ford's "filled for life".

If yours failed doing 30K oil change intervals I need to consider doing mine every 15K.

No, not really. It started its life as a snowbird and towed boats. When I bought it, it had 80k or (don't remember now), and I waited about a year before hitting the threads on the PTUs. It didn't really fsil, the tech found a small leak (nothing on garage floor) and suggested they replace the seal (which is what I thought they did). Service record shows that it's a non-serviceable unit so the replaced entire unit. (Only has about 10K since, don't drive much any more.)

I discussed the fluid changes with the Service Manager (NOT the service rep) and he felt 30k was adaquate. (Also asked about differential and he said no, no need as it's not a convenial rear end.)