PTU drain plug drill and tap

karpcbk

Post #472

The parts diagrams show no drain plugs for any model PTU but the Sport's.

Ā 

Ā 

I think this photo does a better job of showing the drain at the very bottom of the finned PTU, pointing down.

Ā 

See post #488 of a 2016 Titanium PTU, and it looks very different to yours.

Ā 

If that is in fact the PTU, it looks more robust than the one on the Sport.

• Like 1

Post #472

Ā 

See post #488 of a 2016 Titanium PTU, and it looks very different to yours.

Ā 

If that is in fact the PTU, it looks more robust than the one on the Sport.

My PTU looks very different than all other photos I have seen. The fins and overall shape appear different. More robust, I don't know about that, 7000 miles and it is leaking a coal black fluid. I have an appointment with the dealer Monday. My daughter has a 2016 AWD EDGE with basic trim. I plan on looking at hers soon to see if it has a drain and if it is leaking.

PTU cooling.....

Ā 

The shield below the engine has a scoop to direct ambient air over the PTU for cooling. I don't know if this is something new or is it part of all Gen2 EDGE.

I don't know which models have that cooling arrangement, but can confirm that my 2017 Sport does not.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

Fins, air dam, all good. I'd take anything to help. Luckily the 2008 Sable AWD (parts car 115,000 mi) PTU I pulled to swap into my 08 Taurus X AWD the gear oil was still fluid with very little evidence of cooked oil. I opened it up and cleaned and decreased it, inspected the internals. Looked pretty good! I replaced the 2 D.S. input shaft case seals and PTU-to-trans gasket seal, I also replaced the P.S. input shaft internal oil seal, case seal, and seal deflector. One of these days I'll post pics, I took a bunch and have a list somewhere of the original replaceable parts numbers (i.e., bearings). I also added a drain plug and removed the vent valve tapped for a barb fitting to fab up my own vent extension (rather than Fords $50+ part).

Keep in mind I was doing this as preventative maintenance while I had the engine and tranny out for other work.

HTH, Bill.

p.s. Something noisey in the bank 1 firewall cyl head argh and trans won't shift right so darn car still sitting.

• Like 1

Today I changed engine oil, oil filter, and PTU oil at 5,200 mi.

Ā 

The PTU oil change was real easy with the drain fitted on these later models.

Ā 

As can be seen in the photo, the oil blacken the paper towel and there was a few filling attached to the drain plug magnet.

Ā 

I used Royal Purple 75-140 synthetic, and will most likely change it every 10 ~ 15K

How are you transfering the Royal Purple to your PTU, pump used etc?

So something odd happened in the after math of the drain plug install. My PTU started leaking! But not from the new drain plug. Its leaking out of the vent tube. I think I over filled the system a little and I used a lighter gear oil to help dilute the residual original fluid. Im going to dump it next week and then refill with the correct weight and see what happens.

Ā 

Anyway to clean out the vent with the unit on the car or do I have to remove it to get to it?

I am new to this forum and very thankful that I came upon it. I've gained a wealth of information on the topic of PTU which apparently is now an issue with my 2008 MKX, with 116,000 miles. I am not a mechanic but feel I do have a very reliable guy who has worked on our cars for a number of years. I recently had to limp into a Ford dealership on my commute hme from work to find that I required the replacement of the PCM, a coil, all plugs, wires, etc. ($2000). While in the shop I was also told that I needed to have the PTU replaced due to it leaking fluid (another $2000). Needless to say I wasn't in the position of doping $4K into the car but was kind of at their mercy to at least get the PCM replaced and the car running.

Ā 

Fast forward a week and I bring the car to my mechanic to look at the PTU issue. His feeling is that it had a very small leak, and was not even sure where it came from, topped it off with some fluid and said we should keep and eye on it at every oil change...sounded good and cost me 50 bucks. This morning however there was a lot more fluid on the garage flood than the couple of little spots that I'd been seeing over the past month. I'm going to chalk that up to him likely over filling the PTU (which he said he did due to the difficulty in adding the fluid and no real way to check the "fullness') and it "burping out (as mentioned in previous posts here).

Ā 

So, here's my very long winded way of asking a question to this group...should i continue to have him "top off" the PCU every 3 to 5,000 mile oil change? Should I check with a trans shop to either have it rebuilt or replaced? Should i look into having a drain plug put in (also as mentioned in previous posts). Has anyone had this work done at an AAMCO trans shop or is that not a good route to go?

Ā 

Appreciate your replies and any expertise that you can lend. Thanks

So, here's my very long winded way of asking a question to this group...should i continue to have him "top off" the PCU every 3 to 5,000 mile oil change? Should I check with a trans shop to either have it rebuilt or replaced? Should i look into having a drain plug put in (also as mentioned in previous posts). Has anyone had this work done at an AAMCO trans shop or is that not a good route to go?

Appreciate your replies and any expertise that you can lend. Thanks

Here's my $0.02:

If you know most of all the history of the car, i.e. General maintenance and not hot-rodded or used to tow a lot (light duty driving), then I say go with the at least the adding a bottom drain and drain/refill it at each of the next few oil changes and then keep an eye on it there after with a drain/refill yearly. Your regular mechanic should be able to do the bottom drain for an hour shop time plus drain plug and fluids cost. If you're able to spend a few hundred dollars in labor and a handful of $ in parts, you could have him remove the PTU, open the case degrease and inspect the bearings, drill and tap for the drain and drill and tap the vent to lengthen it (as I did and mentioned in my above post), doing this is more $ but some of it is offset by not having to do the few drain/fills when doing just the drain plug tap with PTU in place.

HTH, Bill

• Like 1

Today I changed engine oil, oil filter, and PTU oil at 5,200 mi.

Ā 

The PTU oil change was real easy with the drain fitted on these later models.

Ā 

As can be seen in the photo, the oil blacken the paper towel and there was a few filling attached to the drain plug magnet.

Ā 

I used Royal Purple 75-140 synthetic, and will most likely change it every 10 ~ 15K

Is this located on drivers side or passengers side?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all - new here as well!

Ā 

Recently got a 07 Edge SEL AWD and love it. Its immaculate and was owned by an elderly couple who meticulously maintained in, CARFAX checked and all. The issue is I never saw any maintenance or service to the PTO on any of the reports. No big deal at the time.

Ā 

After doing some research and reading a ton on the PTU issue, I am wanted to get in and service it the best I can, as I am now periodically starting to smell the faint "propane" smell. No leaks or anything on my driveway or anything yet, but seems every fifth time or so, once it gets heated up, I start to smell faint propane smell from HVAC. After reading, it seems this is an earlier symptom to PTU going out.

Ā 

I'm in the Seattle area, and wondering if anyone has any recommendations on places to go at least get this drained and filled a few times? So far the shops I've called said they wouldn't touch this and to bring it to a dealership for service. Of course Ford won't service this part outside of full replacement.

Ā 

It sounds as if drilling a drain hole is the best long term solution, but I can't seem to find anyone to do it around here, due to liability of going too far and hitting gears and destroying the $600 part.

Try some local Ford dealers. My service rep refused me at first, stating the it's not serviceable. I asked to speak with the technician and he called him up. Asked him and said sure, can pump it out with (some sort of pump the have for differentials). Asked what price and he quoted 1/2 hour and quart of lubricant (think it was a quart, expensive and he needed extra to flush). First time anyone asked them to do this, and now they recommend it.

Ā 

Just remind them that a flush IS a Ford requirement if a AWD has been in water (in maintenance manual). I forget what I paid, may have been $80, maybe less. Worth the cost.

• Like 1

If you have a local Goodyear store you might check with them. The Goodyear I have been going to for 10+ years did a suck/fill with full synth for $90.

Thanks! I don't have an actual Goodyear store near me (I'm in the Seattle area), but have pepboys, Discount Tire, etc. Maybe I can check with them.

Try some local Ford dealers. My service rep refused me at first, stating the it's not serviceable. I asked to speak with the technician and he called him up. Asked him and said sure, can pump it out with (some sort of pump the have for differentials). Asked what price and he quoted 1/2 hour and quart of lubricant (think it was a quart, expensive and he needed extra to flush). First time anyone asked them to do this, and now they recommend it.

Ā 

Just remind them that a flush IS a Ford requirement if a AWD has been in water (in maintenance manual). I forget what I paid, may have been $80, maybe less. Worth the cost.

Ā 

Thanks so much! I've tried a couple who have refused, maybe I'll attempt to ask for a technician to explain. I wish there was like a one page PDF on the PTU and issue I could just hand someone.