Windshield washer nozzle

enigma-2

Noticed that my washer was no longer working on the drivers side, and the passengers side was weak. Quick investigation revealed that the nozzle broke under the hood insulation blanket.

The Ford & MKX nozzles make a sharp right-hand turn just under the hood and the hose puts a lot of tension on this connection. Figured that if one was bad, the other would follow in short order. Stopped by local Ford dealer and got clipped for $24 for two of them. Recommend if you are replacing yours, go with Dorman off Amazon.

Anyway, you pull the insulation blanket with a trim tool (taking care not to lose one like a certain idiot we won't mention did) and the blanket slips right off the two metal clips.

The old nozzles remove by pinching the prongs on the underside and they pop right off. When I went to remove the passenger side it easily broke off as I touched it. (These nozzles are cheap plastic and age quickly do to engine heat).

In both cases the part of the nozzles that slip into the hose remained in the hose.

The new nozzles easily slip into the holes in the hood and lock into place.

Went to remover the plastic stubs in the end of the hose and they crumbled. Each little bit had to be scraped/dug out with a small screwdriver. (Any ltitle bit left behind will clog the new nozzle). After digging and digging, I used a Q-tip and did my best to clean out the remainder (which was now powder). Finally I turned on the washer and used the stream to wash out any remaining particles.

The hoses push on easily (the drivers side was a stretch). Blanket slips back in place, trim clips push back in easily (minus one) and done.

• Like 5

On the topic of washer nozzles, any experience with the Dorman replacement? Is the spray pattern different from oem? I just hate how the oem spray high & hence don't get enough washer fluid at the bottom of the windshield at driver's side hence wipers doesn't clean good unless a lot of water is sprayed.

• Like 1

I already got a new OEM nozzle. The spray pattern is good, only it doesn't get enough fluid at the bottom driver side of the windshield.

I also noticed the part number is different, 2007-10 & 2011-14, though they look the same. That might explain the different experiences.

2011: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-washer-nozzle-bt4z17603a

2010: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-windshield-hood-nozzle-7t4z17603a

• Like 1

They wanted $100 to change the cabin air filter & engine air filter in my mom's 2012 fusion. Both can be had for under $25 with Motorcraft parts on Amazon. $75 to install 2 components that take less than 5 minutes to change out total. Can't remember if it requires tools to pop open the cabin air filter or not, but i don't think so.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...