Brake kit works great, but rear shock is leaking

roots57

my Rotora brake kit went in last weekend. I've never driven a car with a BBK so I don't have anything to compare, all I can say is that this one works really well and it sure is fun being able to stop so easy and so short.

Now the bad news, one of my rear shocks is leaking. Mark down another case of Edge Sport with H&R springs having a broken rear shock. Luckily they are fairly cheap and easy to put in, this is a DIY job for sure.

Nick, I remember this happened to you too, what did you get for a replacement shock, did you stick with motorcraft or go with KYB or something?

• Like 1

I would want a BBK, wouldn't you?

C/D TEST RESULTS FOR:
2015 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L EcoBoost AWD
Zero to 60 mph: 5.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 14.8 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 29.9 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 6.2 sec
Top gear, 20-50 mph: 3.1 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 4.1
Standing ¼-mile: 14.2 sec @ 98 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 132 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 176 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.83 g
Curb weight: 4437 lb
C/D observed fuel economy: 16 mpg

OEM shocks leaking with H&R springs is a common malady. Wish Konis or Bilsteins were available, made specifically for the lowering springs.

• Like 1

my Rotora brake kit went in last weekend. I've never driven a car with a BBK so I don't have anything to compare, all I can say is that this one works really well and it sure is fun being able to stop so easy and so short.

Now the bad news, one of my rear shocks is leaking. Mark down another case of Edge Sport with H&R springs having a broken rear shock. Luckily they are fairly cheap and easy to put in, this is a DIY job for sure.

Nick, I remember this happened to you too, what did you get for a replacement shock, did you stick with motorcraft or go with KYB or something?

Honestly, I havent had the car or time to mess with it. My bumps arw thuds now

Roots...Sorry to hear about the shock leaking. Bummer! ..I guess I had better prepare for that happening to me as I have the exact same set up as you (H&R Springs, 21" wheels) Could you tell me about how many miles you put on the car after you fitted the H&R's before you got the leak?

I put about 8k-9k on them before the leak was noticed. A lot of vendors seem to be out of stock too, so I wonder if this isn't just a result of H&R springs, but a more general problem that is just amplified by them. I'm hoping to find another OEM spec version other than Motorcraft to try out instead, but that isn't as easy as you would think. A lot of online stores don't seem to carry Gen-II Edge rear shocks at all, or they are out of stock. If anyone finds a decent source, please let me know. I want to replace mine in the next week or two, its only going to get worse. The good news is that they only cost $50-$60 each and can be replaced without having to pay someone to do it. You don't need any special tools, other than maybe a jack/jack stands. After I do mine, I'll post a write up with pics for the less experienced, hopefully it will save you from having to pay a mechanic for two hrs. It always sucks when the labor costs more than the parts.

• Like 1

I put about 8k-9k on them before the leak was noticed. A lot of vendors seem to be out of stock too, so I wonder if this isn't just a result of H&R springs, but a more general problem that is just amplified by them. I'm hoping to find another OEM spec version other than Motorcraft to try out instead, but that isn't as easy as you would think. A lot of online stores don't seem to carry Gen-II Edge rear shocks at all, or they are out of stock. If anyone finds a decent source, please let me know. I want to replace mine in the next week or two, its only going to get worse. The good news is that they only cost $50-$60 each and can be replaced without having to pay someone to do it. You don't need any special tools, other than maybe a jack/jack stands. After I do mine, I'll post a write up with pics for the less experienced, hopefully it will save you from having to pay a mechanic for two hrs. It always sucks when the labor costs more than the parts.

Thanks for the report Roots....If only Bilstein made shocks for the Gen 2 (or Koni) we would be in business..Lifetime warranty on Bilstein. Please keep me posted on your search for replacement shocks - it seems like the Motocraft are just not tough enough. When the time comes I will have to pay to get mine replaced..I live in a condo and working on your car within the complex is not allowed by the Kondopolice.

Thanks for the report Roots....If only Bilstein made shocks for the Gen 2 (or Koni) we would be in business..Lifetime warranty on Bilstein. Please keep me posted on your search for replacement shocks - it seems like the Motocraft are just not tough enough. When the time comes I will have to pay to get mine replaced..I live in a condo and working on your car within the complex is not allowed by the Kondopolice.

Bad news, I just got off the phone with Bilstein, I just couldn't accept that they seem to make replacements shocks for everything BUT the Gen-II edge, not even the lower trim models. And they just informed me that we shouldn't expect them anytime soon either. They do, however, seem to at least have OEM spec replacements for all Explorer and Escape models AND the Fusion, so I don't get it. It would probably be as simple as adjusting the ones for the Fusion to the proper length the Edge takes.

sfbluenote - I know how that is, I live in a complex as well, but with subterranean parking with zero light. Luckily I have access to my office building on the weekends with a bay door I can pull into.

Fords part numbering system doesn't make a whole lot of sense, there are multiple part numbers just for the rear shock for my car with no explanation as to the differences. I'm getting so frustrated trying to find what you would think to be a very simple part with multiple MFG's to choose from.

Fords part numbering system doesn't make a whole lot of sense, there are multiple part numbers just for the rear shock for my car with no explanation as to the differences. I'm getting so frustrated trying to find what you would think to be a very simple part with multiple MFG's to choose from.

Usually wheel size makes a difference. IE shocks for an 18" wheel are different from a 20", which are different from a 21". Aftermarket supply universal only. A compromise.

Looks like KYB does NOT make an OEM replacement after all. I've been looking into this for a few days now and I'm fairly certain Ford Motorcraft is our only option for shocks (front or rear). They sell like 130,000 Edges per year these days in the US alone, WTF? I may have to take this to the next level and find something myself that I can make fit, even modify if I have to. Just needs the right length, damper rate, and travel, but nobody lists this info so it will take some digging. I'm not going to be very happy replacing shocks each year if this keeps up.

*UPDATE

Just ordered two rear Motorcraft shocks from the Ford Parts Unlimited website. $125 all in, my local AutoNation Ford dealership wanted $90 each.

Just so everyone knows, the P/N for the AWD 2.7L Sport rear shock is ASH24657 or F2GZ18125F (no clue why there is two part numbers for the same exact part)

also, the live chat lady from parts.ford.com told me that the difference between ASH24656/F2GZ18125E and ASH24657/F2GZ18125F was that one is for FWD Sport (Nick H.) and the other for AWD Sport. This appears to be correct.

Edited by roots57

Just wondering...Would the strut/shocks from the 2018 ST Edge also fit the Gen 2?? Must check that out...

Apparently they did do some different stuff to the ST suspension. I saw somewhere that the ride height might have also been adjusted, although its probably minimal from the looks of it in the pics I've seen. If they fit, I'm certainly ok with trying them out.

• Like 1

Came out to my car this morning and the rear left shock has now completely failed, there was hydraulic fluid all over the ground, at first I thought it was brake fluid, thankfully not. Glad I ordered the replacement shocks already, should be here by Friday so I can replace them both over the weekend. I am really going to do my best to find an alternative to the Motorcraft shocks, its only a matter of time before this happens again. There's got to be something that will fit with minimal modification. I'm going to measure and document all the important dimensions of the OEM replacements before I install them so I have what I need to find a better alternative.

• Like 2

that's about the same as I paid. Replaced the broken one last night, only took an hour. Back in business for now. The only weird part of the process was switching the shock boot/bump stop onto the new shock. There's a small aluminum ring that is press fit onto the top of shock post about 2" below the threaded tip. You have to clamp onto it with vice-grips and rotate it free in order to swap the boot onto the new shock. Anyway, I'm documenting all the important dimensions, mounting holes, min and max travel, etc., hopefully we can find another alternative that works.

• Like 1