2016 Ford Edge Sport AWD Powertrain Limitations

snmjim

Seeing that we will soon be approaching the 500 whp spectrum we need Ford Techs & your assistance to verify our findings for the maximum horse power & torque limitations for the subject vehicle for the following components:

Automatic transmission

PTO/AWD system

Drive & half shafts

Rear differential

Thank you all for any information that can be provided.

C&J

Ford Edge Sport

Development Team

On your 2016 Sport AWD, what does your PTU look like? Does it have a drain plug, fins cast in housing and scoop in shield beneath engine directing air on PTU?

These photos are of my 2016 Titanium 2.0L PTU which is much different than photos of other PTU's I have seen.

PTU

PTU cooling scoop

Edited by JSchneid

Turns out that I don't have any Pics of the Transfer case/PTU, I'll take some the next time we're down under.

The attached Doc is all that I could find in the 2015 FSM.

Notes:

- From what I can make of your Pics, my RMM Pics, FSM & memory of long hours down under...I see no similarities.

- This Fri I'm going to my Ford parts guy to get some Spec sheets on the powertrain components so I can add them to my files & post them... :thumbsup:

Transfer Case Removal.pdf

Edited by snmjim

I'll update this post with some Pics.

How will this help 2 answer the Powertrain HP & torque limitations question for the 2016 Edge Sport AWD?

I very much doubt that I would have any info to help you with your question. Unless, seeing the differences in my PTU, air scoop & fins cast into housing provided any new helpful info. I found my PTU completely different than any I have seen photos of previously. I was curious as to what you had in your 2016 Sport looked anything like mine.

Found out there are two different PTO. One might have a oil cooler and other mods for hot environments. The Hot Weather Group costs $103 more. Not sure how to tell whitch one is installed in our cars and no info yet on max power.

GD9Z-7251-B Power Take Off Assembly1

Transfer Case

EDGE; 2.7L; W/ HOT WEATHER GROUP

F2GZ-7251-C Power Take Off Assembly1

Transfer Case

EDGE; 2.7L; W/ O HOT WEATHER GROUP

• Like 1

Thnx to Xtra!... :hat_tip: :hat_tip: :hat_tip:

We're starting to get some applicable/useful Info,

He's ID the two 2016 Edge Sport AWD PTO options, now we need to ID the HP & Torque limitations.

For those who are interested in helping out but weren't engaged from the initial post on this topic...'

We need Info (component p/n, HP & torque limitations, cross make & model applications) for the following drive train components:

- Transmission

- PTO

- Drive & half shafts

- Rear Diff

Note: If we can't find specific Spec Info we can usually get some idea of its limitations by also identifying other makes & models that share these components i.e. if the rear Diff is shared by the 2016 Lincoln MKX and it has a 5k towing capacity then we know we have potential strength/room to add HP & torque since the 2016 Edge Sport AWD has a considerably lower tow rating... :doh:

Thnx again for all those who have assisted & supported us...JC Edge Sport Development Team...kinda has a ring to it... :clapping::ford:

• Like 1

From the Ford 2016 Edge Brochure:

2.7L EcoBoost V6

113.9 73.4 39.2

18.4/18.5

315 hp @ 4,750 rpm2
350 lb.-ft. of torque @ 2,750 rpm 6-speed SelectShift automatic

The Ford unit is a six-speed duel clutch with one clutch acting on first, third and fifth gear, and the other used for second, fourth and sixth gear. As first gear is engaged, the 2-4-6 clutch is disengaged and the second gear cogs are engaged. At the appropriate time, the 1-3-5 clutch is disengaged and the 2-4-6 clutch is engaged. While in second gear, the other side shifts from first to third. The process is repeated with quick smooth shifts and none of the efficiency loss normally associated with torque converters.

From what I could find there are two top possible transmissions the Edge Sport. First is the 6F50 The other is the updated beefed up 6F55

In the 6F55 the ring gear is 41.5mm and in the 6F50 the ring gear is 31.5mm post-46130-0-39414600-1518678528_thumb.jpg

I cannot for sure say weather we have the 6F55 or the 6F50 or another but it a start. Lots of conflicting info out there to sort through.

Edited by Xtra

Wikipedia Info on the 6F55:

General Motors and Ford Motor Company cooperated in 2002 to create a new automatic transaxle, designed for transverse engine applications in cars. The companies jointly committed to investing US$720 million in their manufacturing plants to support the new transmission.

Each company will name and manufacture the transmission separately:

Ford claims the 6F50 is designed to handle 300 hp (224 kW) and 280 ft·lbf (380 N·m), while General Motors rates their 6T70 to 315 hp (235 kW) and 280 lb⋅ft (380 N⋅m), the 6T75 to 315 hp (235 kW) and 300 lb⋅ft (407 N⋅m), and the 6T80 to 410 hp (306 kW) and 369 lb⋅ft (500 N⋅m). GM lists the wet (with fluids) weight of the 6T70/75/80 to be between 102 kg (225 lb) and 104.7 kg (231 lb).

Ford appears not to have made a public statement regarding the 6F55's maximum capabilities, but uses it in AWD in the Taurus SHO with an engine rated at 272 kW (370 PS; 365 hp)and 475 N·m (350 lb·ft) of torque (Final drive 2.77:1 standard or 3.16:1 with SHO Performance Package).

The first application of the technology is in the 2007 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX crossover SUVs, as well as the Saturn Aura sedan and the Saturn Outlook crossover. It was also used for the Pontiac G6 GTP models and the GMC Acadia models for 2007. Prior to 2009, this transmission had issues caused by a very weak 3,5,R wave plate, which made this transmission prone to failure in GM products. Updated wave plates were released for many clutches in 6T70. The old design wave plates weren’t stress relieved and could break with use. The updated wave plates are available under the following part numbers:

Clutch Part Number 1234 24259063 2-6 24259816 3-5-Rev 24254103 Low-Rev 24259817

Gear ratios:

1 2 3 4 5 6 R Final drive 4.484 2.872 1.842 1.414 1.000 0.742 2.88 2.77, 3.16, 3.39

Applications:

GM:

Ford:

• Like 1

An Article from here: http://etereman.com/blog/ford-transmission-2/turn-6f55-transmission-taurus-sho-real-performer

The 6F55 is a six-speed automatic trans-axle built by the Ford Motor Corporation. It is designed for exclusive use in front-wheel drive cars with Ford’s 3.5 liter Ecoboost V6 engine. It was first put into use in 2009 and is still in use today. The 6F55 automatic transmission was used in a number of Ford vehicles, including the Ford Flex, the Lincoln MKS, and the Lincoln MKT. It was also used in the Ford Taurus SHO.

The Ford Taurus in a very popular mid-sized sedan, and the SHO is a very capable performance version of the Taurus. In its current configuration, it comes with a twin turbo-charged 3.5 liter engine putting out 365 horsepower and 350 lb.ft. of torque. The performance version of the 6F55 transmission is semi-automatic and includes a performance paddle shifter, similar to what is found in very high-end performance cars.

The SHO also includes a performance suspension system, and overall the car is considered a high performance machine that is comparable to the Chevy Impala SS. Many Taurus SHO vehicles are used as dual purpose machines, serving as basic transportation during the work week and as a semi-race cars on the weekend.

Racing can be pretty hard on a car, especially the automatic transmission. Without proper precautions, the 6F55 transmission can be damaged in a race environment. It is therefore recommended that you do a couple things to turn the 6F55 transmission in your Taurus SHO into a real performer.

First on your list of upgrades should be the purchase and installation of a shift kit. In its stock form, the 6F55 was designed to appeal to the broadest cross-section of potential buyers. This means that Ford left some meat on the bone when it comes to an all-out performance transmission. Installing a shift kit will provide for a number of performance gains. First, a shift kit will really firm up the shifts of the transmission. This will help lower the car’s quarter-mile times and may even result in a tire chirping first-to-second gear shift. Second, a shift kit will reduce the time it takes for the bands and clutches to fully apply. This will in turn help make the car quicker and reduce both heat buildup and wear in the transmission. Finally, a shift kit will give you more manual control of the transmission, allowing you to hold it in one gear longer before it up-shifts on its own. It will also allow you to downshift at almost any speed, which will help slow the car down through engine breaking, saving wear and fading of the brakes.

Consider installing a deep sump aluminum transmission pan. A deep pan will usually add two to three quarts of transmission fluid capacity to the overall transmission cooling and lubrication system. This will come in handy if you plan on auto-crossing your Taurus. A pan constructed of aluminum will also help cool the transmission. The properties of aluminum make it one of the best materials for dissipating heat. Finally, an aluminum pan is more rigid than stamped steel pans, and will help make the overall transmission case stronger.

Sooner or later, due to high mileage or abuse, you will be faced with the decision to replace the 6F55 transmission in your Ford Taurus SHO. We highly recommend doing so with a re-manufactured transmission over one that was simply rebuilt. A re-manufactured transmission will include major internal modifications and upgrades designed to make it both stronger and more durable. To learn more, contact ETE Reman today!

• Like 1

Digging into our PTU info provided by Xtra, I came up with the following:

There isn't an exuberant amount of info on the topic but it seems most premature failures are caused by not changing fluid and destroying bearings.

So it seems that the ford explorer uses the same PTU, however it is liquid cooled (possible future upgrade??). they experience failures time to time form not changing fluid..... seems the key to longevity with our rear Diffs and PTU's is to change the fluid every 15K to 25K Miles (dependent upon driving style...*cough* Xtra *Cough*).

There is a guy on there running custom big turbos putting down north of 550whp, and has only had a leaky PTU which was fixed in reference to a TSB released.

Please do NOT take my word for gospel.... its just my research and findings.

Edited by Special_K

I believe Xtra already posted the 2 PTU part numbers for the gen 2 sport but here goes

Part # Description List Price Price

Transfer Case

$828.28 $619.14

FG1Z-7E453-B Control Module

EDGE

$35.04 $22.16

Transfer Case

$972.80 $727.17

the ATxxxxxxx part number applies to the 3.5/3.7L AWD setup for 2007-14 IIRC.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

I believe Xtra already posted the 2 PTU part numbers for the gen 2 sport but here goes

Part # Description List Price Price

Transfer Case

$828.28 $619.14

FG1Z-7E453-B Control Module

EDGE

$35.04 $22.16

Transfer Case

$972.80 $727.17

the ATxxxxxxx part number applies to the 3.5/3.7L AWD setup for 2007-14 IIRC.

Edited post base on provided info.

Thank you btw.

• Like 1

Digging into our PTU info provided by Xtra, I came up with the following:

There isn't an exuberant amount of info on the topic but it seems most premature failures are caused by not changing fluid and destroying bearings.

So it seems that the ford explorer uses the same PTU, however it is liquid cooled (possible future upgrade??). they experience failures time to time form not changing fluid..... seems the key to longevity with our rear Diffs and PTU's is to change the fluid every 15K to 25K Miles (dependent upon driving style...*cough* Xtra *Cough*).

There is a guy on there running custom big turbos putting down north of 550whp, and has only had a leaky PTU which was fixed in reference to a TSB released.

Please do NOT take my word for gospel.... its just my research and findings.

Some Ford engineers believe the PTU problems are due to heat but not external heat - just friction from a buildup of tolerances in the different parts when put together in one unit. They also say the PTU fluid is fine for 150K as long as it doesn’t overheat. But once it overheats it’s toast. Since you can’t really tell when the PTU overheats to the point that the fluid goes bad, changing it frequently is a good idea. But if you’re not overheating the PTU it’s not necessary.

• Like 2

Some Ford engineers believe the PTU problems are due to heat but not external heat - just friction from a buildup of tolerances in the different parts when put together in one unit. They also say the PTU fluid is fine for 150K as long as it doesn’t overheat. But once it overheats it’s toast. Since you can’t really tell when the PTU overheats to the point that the fluid goes bad, changing it frequently is a good idea. But if you’re not overheating the PTU it’s not necessary.

id rather be safe........ we will continue to do it at 20K since we like to toss her around a bit

The dual clutch 6 speed is only available in Europe and only on the 2.0L turbodiesel. North American Edges all use the standard 6F torque converter transmission. 6F35 for the 2.0, 6F50 for the 3.5/3.7 and 6F55 for the 2.7 (I think).

i don't think the european edge is a dual-clutch. it's just a plain old-fashioned manual gearbox (so it has a single clutch operated by the driver's left foot.)

• Like 1

i don't think the european edge is a dual-clutch. it's just a plain old-fashioned manual gearbox (so it has a single clutch operated by the driver's left foot.)

Yes it is. The 210 ps Diesel engine comes with the power shift dual clutch automatic. The 180 ps Diesel engine comes with a manual tranny.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_PowerShift_transmission

• Like 1

The dual clutch 6 speed is only available in Europe and only on the 2.0L turbodiesel. North American Edges all use the standard 6F torque converter transmission. 6F35 for the 2.0, 6F50 for the 3.5/3.7 and 6F55 for the 2.7 (I think).

The Ford 2016 Edge Brochure states that the 2.7L Ecoboost Edge Sport has a Selectshift Automatic transmission.
Scroll down to Engines/EPA - Estimate Rating and Dimensions and look at the Sport 2.7 EB
When I Google What is a Ford selectshift transmission I got this:
The SelectShift is a "dual-clutch" transmission, the same type used in some of the highest-end performance cars on the road today. A DCT is literally just two dry-clutch, computer-controlled manual transmissions placed side-by-side, connected to each other with a common input shaft and common output shaft. One transmission carries the odd-numbered gears, and the other the even-numbered gears. These transmissions have been around in theory for more than 70 years, but weren't practical without computer controls. In the 1980s, Porsche rediscovered the concept, and did the lion's share of modern development. Most DCTs, including the SelectShift, are direct inheritors of Porsche's design work.
Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

While researching Fusion Sports I found this posted by a Moderator.

"Well I have been looking for a solid spec but haven't found one yet. But, if we follow Fords normal transmission nomenclature what we have is:"

6 = 6 Speed
F = FWD
55 = 550 Newton-Meters or 405 ft-lbs of torque (downstream side of the torque converter)

​Again nothing solid just another guess, but it looks to be confirmed our trans is the 6F55. They all agree the 2.7EB has the 6F55 at that site.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1