Water Pump Failure Prevention

Burgundy17

$30 on Amazon (free prime shipping).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NUB132/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_loikBbVH9MHWB

My 09 MKX came with gold from the factory. Dealer told me they needed to change it when they discovered it in an oil change.

Told me Ford had discovered that it didn't have sufficient protection to prevent rusting or corrosion, and they needed to use a special flush to remove every part of the gold when going to green.

• Like 1

^ I took a look at that listing and saw that it said "with bittering agent." I was trying to think 'what the heck do they mean my that' when my dog walked under my legs and the light bulb went on.

Also, as long as another brand coolant lists that it meets or exceeds the Ford spec (like Zerex Glysantin G-05) would Ford's fluid be necessarily required? Notwithstanding dealer issues with warranty claims of course. My '11 is out of warranty.

Personally I would stay with Motorcraft as I really don't know if the others are better or not. But if you do change, even if it states it's compatible, I would still do a complete flush. Not all coolants play well together. Also if you change, consider labeling the coolant fill with the actual coolant being used. Memory fades over time.

• Like 2

Personally I would stay with Motorcraft as I really don't know if the others are better or not. But if you do change, even if it states it's compatible, I would still do a complete flush. Not all coolants play well together. Also if you change, consider labeling the coolant fill with the actual coolant being used. Memory fades over time.

Im having a conversation with my mechanic who is doing the engine swap on my 07 3.5 and he was going to go with Ford recommended coolant which I believe he stated was orange. Should I tell him to go wit green instead?

Orange is incorrect, Green is fine. Orange came into play, I want to say 2012 MY.

I went to my local Ford Dealer and pick up some green concentrate. What they had in Green was VC-5.... so I bought 2 gallons. $17.00 a gallon. Its Green.... I hope its the right stuff. I find the price very odd for a dealership because Amazon wants 30,00 a gallon for the same thing.

Edited by clt750

I am getting mixed signals as I saw Enigma-2 post a link that shows the VC5. Then I see Fishx65 posts a link that shows them ordering the VC10. Is this a certain year thing with the different coolants?? I need to figure this out as I need to drop this off at my mechanics tomorrow morning to wrap up this night mare.

I just called the dealer where I bought the VC5 and they are telling the VC10 variant is used for diesels. So I dont know.

Edited by clt750

Attached is a chart showing what models/years came with what coolants:

Thanks that lools like great info but its telling me Yellow.... or is it gold. Basically it makes it a little more confusing to me. Did I not read correctly that Ford came out and said the yellow/gold was not to be used and that green should be used as replacement?

This is a low mileage dry engine that I am having swapped out. Supposedly out of a 2007 Edge. So no oil, no coolant.

Edited by clt750

I am getting mixed signals as I saw Enigma-2 post a link that shows the VC5. Then I see Fishx65 posts a link that shows them ordering the VC10. Is this a certain year thing with the different coolants?? I need to figure this out as I need to drop this off at my mechanics tomorrow morning to wrap up this night mare.

I just called the dealer where I bought the VC5 and they are telling the VC10 variant is used for diesels. So I dont know.

According to the chart that E posted your 2007 should take the Gold coolant. I'd be half tempted to use a universal product from Zerex or Prestone if I was starting fresh. I think I remember high mileage boy (Mac) using a universal Zerex coolant in his Edges.

Enigma, thanks for posting that .pdf.! I had to go back and do a VIN check to find my DoM (11/11/10) on my '11 LTD to then determine I need VC10 - Specialty Green. (Apparently prior to 7/11/11 DoMs take Specialty Green and post 7/11/11 DoMs require Orange.) However, I'm still thinking that if a coolant meets Ford's 'Specialty Green' spec WSSM97B55-A that it should be OK. Not sure if the Peak that Mac uses meets Ford spec but he's got 250k on Lulubelle so me must be doing something right. I think the same oil discussion can be applied to coolant: Use the correct spec (whatever brand), change it at regular intervals (full flush recommended) and err on the side of lower mileage intervals. (I do mine at 30k.)

Heading to Galveston tomorrow from Dallas. About 350mi / 700 round trip. Trip report with particulars will follow in a few days. That is all.

EDIT: After a fairly exhaustive search I have been unable to find any coolant that states that it meets Ford VC-10A2 (WSSM97B55-A) spec. All will say that it won't void a warranty and meets manufacturers recommendations but none specifically say they meet the spec. So it looks like Specialty Green is the only option. However, I was able to find it at Rock Auto for $21.79/Gallon. With the 5% discount code it's only $20.70/Gallon. That's the best price I could find anywhere.

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 1

Specialty Green is the only "green" coolant viable for the the Edges that came equipped with the Gold (yellow) or Green coolants. So VC10 product is what you are looking for. VC5 DOES NOT WORK!!! Put the Specialty Green coolant in your "dry" engine if using Motorcraft.

Yes, Peak Universal Extended Life meets/exceeds Ford specs for our Edge/MKX. Basically all these universal products have resorted to listing the ASTM specs:

• Meets ASTM D-3306 and ASTM D-4340

Specialty Green

Meets or exceeds the requirements of WSS-M97B55-A and ASTM D 3306

Interesting read. I was totally ignorant of any issues with the pump or coolants with the Edge or the 3.5. This raises some questions for me. First, are there any issues with going to the waterless coolant? I've gone to it in all the cars because it's by far better but a maintenance job I hadn't gotten to yet with my Edge. Second, I didn't know my 2008 has an internal pump running off the timing chain. Let's face it, it's a really bad idea. Is anyone offering an external electric pump kit? I know some are offered for Eco Boost engines used in Rally Cars but the 3.5 or not I don't know.

My 09 MKX came with gold but my local dealer told me that I should switch over to green. The gold was found to NOT provide sufficient protection.

Note that the gold must be COMPLETELY washed out of all parts of the cooling system. Not one trace of the gold must be left to mix with green. It will form crystals and clog the smaller passages.

The dealer had a specific process to follow in converting over the system.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

If you 3.5 came with gold, the local dealer told I should switch over to green. The gold was found to NOT provide sufficient protection.

Note that the gold must be COMPLETELY washed out of all parts of the cooling system. Not one trace of the gold must be left to mix with green. It will form crystals and clog the smaller passages.

The dealer had a specific process to follow in converting over the system.

So I was looking at the coolant chart you posted earlier. Is it the yellow coolant that doesn't provide proper protection? Looks like later models switched to Dark Green for a short time and then to Orange. My brother has a 2009 with the yellow and I was thinkin about letting him know about this.