2019 Edge ST Update

blitz118

Here's a Canadian perspective on the ST.

https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles/48084/

"Instead, the end product is a clumsy-engineered SUV that isn’t all that quick off the line."

I bet the reason why Ford hasnt announced 0-60 times yet, is because with the lag and slow shifting box, the ST is not much faster off the line than the Sport. Why else launch a HOT Suv and then not tell us how HOT it is...

About 15 minutes ago I "TRIED" to get some info out of Ford Perf and no one will talk about ST trans issues nor delays, my production schedule has changed for the third time....which is OK if they then get it right!! I believe the earlier Edge 6 speeds had shift programing problems as well as the 10 speed intro in the F-150 which eventually got worked out; but why introduce a vehicle that way with flaws??

About 15 minutes ago I "TRIED" to get some info out of Ford Perf and no one will talk about ST trans issues nor delays, my production schedule has changed for the third time....which is OK if they then get it right!! I believe the earlier Edge 6 speeds had shift programing problems as well as the 10 speed intro in the F-150 which eventually got worked out; but why introduce a vehicle that way with flaws??

Hopefully this is the reason for the delay and yours arrives with a well sorted transmission.

"Instead, the end product is a clumsy-engineered SUV that isn’t all that quick off the line."

I bet the reason why Ford hasnt announced 0-60 times yet, is because with the lag and slow shifting box, the ST is not much faster off the line than the Sport. Why else launch a HOT Suv and then not tell us how HOT it is...

I had high hopes that the Edge St would be the replacement for my current ride but maybe not now. I'm still hopeful they'll get things sorted out with the transmission/lag issues. The 2019 Q3 is in my cross hairs now.

• Like 1

I had high hopes that the Edge St would be the replacement for my current ride but maybe not now. I'm still hopeful they'll get things sorted out with the transmission/lag issues. The 2019 Q3 is in my cross hairs now.

As it is now, the Edge will not be on my shopping list but I knew that when I heard they are putting an ST badge on it. Maybe, they will bring the Sport back at some point or maybe even do a Platinum version of the Edge (presume this will cannibalize MKX sales though so they will probably not do it); they did just release the F150 platinum with the Raptor engine so there is someone at Ford that knows what they are doing...

• Like 1

Forget the reviews and go drive it. Ford has a bad history of providing pre production vehicles with flaws for initial reviews that don't represent the production vehicles.

They haven't hit the dealer lots to drive, but all the reviewers can't be wrong. More than one of them mentioned transmission shifting issues, and it looks to be no quicker/faster than the 2015-2018 Sport. The first impressions from the journalist are not good. Why would Ford invite a lot journalist to review an unfinished product?

• Like 2

Forget the reviews and go drive it. Ford has a bad history of providing pre production vehicles with flaws for initial reviews that don't represent the production vehicles.

They also have a tendency to release production vehicles with glaring flaws. My 2013 Focus Titanium was a good example. The stench of that 8 month ownership experience is only now starting to subside.

They haven't hit the dealer lots to drive, but all the reviewers can't be wrong. More than one of them mentioned transmission shifting issues, and it looks to be no quicker/faster than the 2015-2018 Sport. The first impressions from the journalist are not good. Why would Ford invite a lot journalist to review an unfinished product?

Why did they botch so many product introductions like the 2018 Expedition? Their marketing dept is terrible and has been for several years. This isn't the first time they've given reviewers a vehicle with glaring defects. Sometimes those defects make it into production (like the launch of MyFordTouch in the 2011 Edge) and sometimes it seems like they're just not paying attention or trying. I think Ford knows that in the grand scheme of things these reviews don't mean much and don't usually affect sales. Camry consistently got terrible reviews for the last decade but consistently outsold everything else.

It's disappointing and shouldn't happen, but you won't really know the truth until you can drive one and decide for yourself. If the flaws are still there, walk away. But the production unit may be just fine. Remember writers like this are just looking for something bad to write.

• Like 1

A lot of the reviews I read said that it was a good car, but didn't fit the ST badge since they are comparing it to the Fiesta and Focus. It seems to me that if this was still called an Edge Sport they wouldn't have much to complain about.

Regarding the transmission, which was really the only thing that reviewers did consistently pick at, Ford already mentioned they are working on the software/tuning and it's not where they want it to be yet. Maybe that's why vehicles are getting delayed as they fix the transmission tuning?

• Like 2

My 2011 got terrible reviews and also has a noticeable throttle delay at times and some wonky shifting logic. Despite all that it is my absolute favorite car I have owned/Driven. It just fits me well and is a nice balance of all the things I need. It has surprised some of the tuner Maxima kids while loaded with the family coming back from vacation and has hauled extra large capacity washer and driers still in the retail boxes. At one point I chose to drive it over my Harley because I enjoyed it so much. I don't care if the new ST doesn't match some peoples view of what an ST is.. To me the ST is just a track tuned sport anyway and any real performance starts with the RS.

I think Ford knows that in the grand scheme of things these reviews don't mean much and don't usually affect sales.

Are you serious? Maybe not for you but in the current age of social media, reviews can make or break a product.... I have NEVER driven a car where it was nothing like the reviews made it out to be. Honestly, I am now 100% convinced, Ford is paying you to say these things...

Are you serious? Maybe not for you but in the current age of social media, reviews can make or break a product.... I have NEVER driven a car where it was nothing like the reviews made it out to be. Honestly, I am now 100% convinced, Ford is paying you to say these things...

Yes I'm serious. Most car buyers do not read reviews like this. They just don't. They might research prices or options but otherwise they see it, like it and walk into the dealership and buy it. I know it seems crazy to us enthuisasts who live and breathe this stuff but honestly we're just a drop in the bucket in the overall scheme. So yes it might affect a few sales but it's not enough to matter in the overall picture.

Look at the Camry. It got TERRIBLE reviews for well over a decade (well deserved) and always came in last in any comparison test, yet it was #1 in sales every year.

Likewise, great reviews don't sell more cars either.

What WILL affect sales is pricing and problems that show up on a test drive like a poor shifting transmission. But as long as they get the production models right they'll be just fine.

Honestly, I am now 100% convinced, Ford is paying you to say these things...

I can assure you they don't. I'm an IT architect in a Fortune 100 corporation and a Ford enthusiast. I tend to look at things from a business standpoint not just from the consumer standpoint and I look at facts.

If you only hang around enthusiasts then you get a skewed view of the market. Step back to the bigger picture of the average car buyer. Go to the mall and pick out 100 potential SUV buyers at random and ask them how many read these types of reviews. I'm guessing it will be 5 or 6. Now ask those 6 people whether a bad review would keep them from buying a Edge ST if they had already decided they wanted one and I bet it would be 1 or 2 at most.

Most people will look at the ST as a Sport with a new name - that's it. And if it looks good and drives ok they'll buy it.

I'm sorry that doesn't fit your model of how things should work, but that's reality.

• Like 1

I can assure you they don't. I'm an IT architect in a Fortune 100 corporation and a Ford enthusiast. I tend to look at things from a business standpoint not just from the consumer standpoint and I look at facts.

If you only hang around enthusiasts then you get a skewed view of the market. Step back to the bigger picture of the average car buyer. Go to the mall and pick out 100 potential SUV buyers at random and ask them how many read these types of reviews. I'm guessing it will be 5 or 6. Now ask those 6 people whether a bad review would keep them from buying a Edge ST if they had already decided they wanted one and I bet it would be 1 or 2 at most.

Most people will look at the ST as a Sport with a new name - that's it. And if it looks good and drives ok they'll buy it.

I'm sorry that doesn't fit your model of how things should work, but that's reality.

IT Architect, gotcha... say no more.

Don't apologize, your reality of how things works aligns 100% with the Ford Motor Company's idea of how "things" work and that is EXACTLY why their stock price looks the way it looks. Looking forward to buying them on the dip, you just keep on giving them good advice before they figure out its 2018...

Here is a very positive review, and actually I think he is spot on. But I do not like the engine sound, especially compared to the my 2016 Sport.

That is one of the better reviews. Something is going on with the transmission, and I hope Ford can fix on the production model. The German and Europeans cars are costly to lease, and I'm not sure if they're worth it.

Don't apologize, your reality of how things works aligns 100% with the Ford Motor Company's idea of how "things" work and that is EXACTLY why their stock price looks the way it looks. Looking forward to buying them on the dip, you just keep on giving them good advice before they figure out its 2018...

So you’re smarter than everyone else here and smarter than Ford. Got it. Thanks for clarifying.