Engine ticking at start up

dckotwicki

I have an 07 Edge with about 7700 miles on it.

The oil and filter have been changed 2 times.

1st at about 1600 miles

2nd an about 6500 miles

Ford filter and mobil one 0-20 synthetic

At start up, and for about 2 minutes there is a disturbing ticking sound.

Easily heard inside the vehicle

Easily heard outside the vehicle.

After 2 minutes, it goes away.

Anyone else have this issue? :banghead:

I have an 07 Edge with about 7700 miles on it.

The oil and filter have been changed 2 times.

1st at about 1600 miles

2nd an about 6500 miles

Ford filter and mobil one 0-20 synthetic

At start up, and for about 2 minutes there is a disturbing ticking sound.

Easily heard inside the vehicle

Easily heard outside the vehicle.

After 2 minutes, it goes away.

Anyone else have this issue? :banghead:

Yes. My 2008 Lincoln MKX with 900 miles ticks for about 30 seconds. I think it ist the 5-20 oil. 20 being too low. I have heard the 5-30 synthetic works better but haven't tried it yet. Has anyone out there?

dckotwicki - it doesn't sound like an oil specification issue. 0w20 and 5w20 are very close in cSt value at 75 degrees. Are you sure they are replacing the filter? Sounds more like restricted oil flow to the valve train.

vinnieg - unless you are racing your vehicle or constantly pulling a heavy trailer, you will never need a 30 weight oil additive package. 5w20 is designed to operate at 212 degrees with a cSt value of 8.8 or so, just what our engines are designed for. The 5w30 oils will not meet the Ford spec. so don't even consider it.

dckotwicki - it doesn't sound like an oil specification issue. 0w20 and 5w20 are very close in cSt value at 75 degrees. Are you sure they are replacing the filter? Sounds more like restricted oil flow to the valve train.

vinnieg - unless you are racing your vehicle or constantly pulling a heavy trailer, you will never need a 30 weight oil additive package. 5w20 is designed to operate at 212 degrees with a cSt value of 8.8 or so, just what our engines are designed for. The 5w30 oils will not meet the Ford spec. so don't even consider it.

I am using 5-20 Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

I am replacing the oil filter each oil change.

The engine "Ticks" the next day after the oil is changed.

The oil level is full.

I am also not in love with 5-20 oil.

I am using it but would feel better with 5-30.

I think 5-20's only purpose is to enhance cafe standards.

Edited by dckotwicki

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I've got the same problem with an 08 LTD AWD here in Austin. My neighbor bought an 08 LTD FWD at nearly the same time and we have roughly the same mileage [16k/17k], but the neighbor's engine purrs like a kitten while mine pings/ticks like crazy. It's worse at a cold start [its hard to say 'cold' start here in Austin anytime of year, considering I lived in Minnesota for two decades], but continues to ping/tick like my old 81 F100 at 90k, and my old 88 Bronco at 110k, in sub-zero weather.

I can understand that this type of engine may have some ping/tick issues as mentioned in the manual, but why do only some have persistent issues [as mentioned by others above], while others do not ping/tick at all [like my neighbors--we start them up together side-by-side, sometimes a couple of times a day!] ?

I recently also had a 08 LTD FWD rental [9k] in Chicago that also had no ping/tick compared to mine that is persistent.

For what it's worth, only Shell 87 octane has ever been used and has been maintenanced as per manual ...

I would love to hear if others are out there with this issue, or how it's been resolved.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed mine has the "tick" as well. It almost sounds like a mini-diesel. I'm going to hope it is the injectors as that kind of makes sense to me. I have heard other Edge's sound like it, so I'll just hope if it is something more than a normal sound, it fails while still under warranty. I can say if anybody sells their car rather than trading in down the road, it might be a hard sell when someone thinks it is something wrong with the car and you are sounding like a car-salesman downplaying a problem. I always sell me cars outright as it seems trading in is just giving your car to the dealer, so I can seee this biting me in a few years, although if I have many more PTU problems, I'll probably trade it in anyway, so the dealer can have the problem back rather than some poor soul buying the car.

Same here, my 2001 'Stang does it as well. Injector noise opening and closing. I cannot explain why some do it and others do not. I run Mobiol 1 0W-20 BTW. Had a '08 taurus......same engine, and it purred like a kitten. Not to mention ripped first and second gear spinning tires. I cannot hear it from inside the vehicle so I'm not worried about it.