Which Tuner do you prefer.....

onyxbfly

Hey guys on the fence about choosing a tuner.  I know some peeps feel strongly about their tuners.  I know 037 prefers LMS, I know Nick prefers Unleashed. I know Jim prefers NS.  

Not looking to start a pissing match just looking to read different opinions on everyones preference and why.

Thanks in advance!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 037 said:

My feelings for the tune go far beyond a preference. I am going by over 2 years of experience racing the tune and seeing people with the Unleashed tune next to me as well as hearing the stories of how much work it took to get there. 

You have 2 years of proven results and tested it under the most demanding of circumstances. Your numbers speak for themselves! 

How much are additional tunes? I tried to find it on their website. I may have missed it. 

Thanks for your input!

• Like 1

Livernois* charges 1 price for all available tunes and future updates to those tunes.

Available tunes are: 87, 91, 93, race 100, e30, tow of the v3 variety. One item that I noted, v3 93 tunes do not like the heat and will hinder performance if higher octane isn't used. 

V2 tunes are more consistent in high heat. 

When it's cold, v3 tunes offer race tune performance of v2. From my personal experience. 

The tuner holds 4 tunes plus stock. 

*I am not affiliated with Livernois nor do I get a discount for mentioning them. The experiences above are my own and may not represent the entire racing population

2 hours ago, 037 said:

Livernois* charges 1 price for all available tunes and future updates to those tunes.

Available tunes are: 87, 91, 93, race 100, e30, tow of the v3 variety. One item that I noted, v3 93 tunes do not like the heat and will hinder performance if higher octane isn't used. 

V2 tunes are more consistent in high heat. 

When it's cold, v3 tunes offer race tune performance of v2. From my personal experience. 

The tuner holds 4 tunes plus stock. 

*I am not affiliated with Livernois nor do I get a discount for mentioning them. The experiences above are my own and may not represent the entire racing population

Sounds like its just what the doctor ordered.  It may cost more upfront but when you compare the math involved with Unleashed its basically the same price.  You have to buy the SCT and each additional tune cost $150

How does the winter gas mix affect your tunes?  Or did you answer that when you "When it's cold, v3 tunes offer race tune performance of v2. From my personal experience."

Thanks once again!

Didn't notice any winter issues. In the summer v3 seems to be overcooked, in my opinion. Vehicle would refuse going into 4th or 5th gear on its own, I had to paddle shift it up. Livernois said add transmission fluid and over fill, tested that theory by raising octane and the issue was gone! Then I raised tune to race level and issue was back. In my mind, it's the tune. So yea... Livernois is not always the best against it self but it's the best overall for the Edge as far as I know. GT500R with whom I race more than a few times per year tried Livernois, Unleashed, S*I and others, I saw his results and had something to compare to based on his experiences. He tests his stuff very thoroughly and doesn't go easy on me, I think I beat him maybe 3 times out of over a dozen ?

4 hours ago, 037 said:

Didn't notice any winter issues. In the summer v3 seems to be overcooked, in my opinion. Vehicle would refuse going into 4th or 5th gear on its own, I had to paddle shift it up. Livernois said add transmission fluid and over fill, tested that theory by raising octane and the issue was gone! Then I raised tune to race level and issue was back. In my mind, it's the tune. So yea... Livernois is not always the best against it self but it's the best overall for the Edge as far as I know. GT500R with whom I race more than a few times per year tried Livernois, Unleashed, S*I and others, I saw his results and had something to compare to based on his experiences. He tests his stuff very thoroughly and doesn't go easy on me, I think I beat him maybe 3 times out of over a dozen ?

Another honest assessment. Illustrating pros and cons. Maybe @GT500R and @Nick Halstead and others will chime in and share there thoughts feelings and or concerns.  Thanks once again!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Not normal, but i guess it depends which version of the tune you are referring to.  Sometimes they have had to adjust tunes for cold weather conditions (in the past), so there is a little room for speculation :)

First thing to check is always the condition of your vehicle.  Could it be the trans fluid level is low?  The MAP (or MAF) sensors clean as well as their connectors?  Are you using good fuel?  Are your tires and road surfaces up to the task?  Basic stuff.  Once that has been eliminated, move to addressing possible tune-related issues.

• Like 2

My car is new, I would not expect fluid levels or sensors to be an issue with less than 4k miles. I'm using Shell 93 octane, but the station I use is a bit run down despite the name, so fuel might be suspect. I have whatever version of the mycalibrator that was out a month or so ago. It's fairly cold, in the 50s I would guess. 

I dropped the tune down to 91 performance, it seems to have alleviated the problem, its almost behaving like the stock turbo lag, maybe sometimes running up to a full second before the power finally starts coming in, but I can live with that.

• Like 1

@037  Stated that he had some transmission issues with the 93 aggressive tune when it was hot. He said it ran better when it was cold out side. he said 93 less aggressive was good as well.  Main difference being the firmness of the shifts. 

I'm sure he will chime in and share his experiences.   

Since you're handy and know your way around a tool box, you may want to check the gap on your spark plugs.  Even though your edge is new. Livernois recommends gapping the plugs to 0.28. On other ecoboost forums peeps have stated that anywhere from 0.25-0.28 is the best gap for our engines.  The plugs are gapped at 0.30 out the box.

You did not mention a check engine light or anything.  Not saying that it has anything to do with your issues but a bogged tranny/ hesitant shift feeling can possibly be attributed to spark.  Just something to look at if you want to.  Or I could be completely off base.    Just tossing an idea out there.  

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 2

Oh, I'm actually not all that handy, lol. Most of the mods I've done are pretty simple....I wouldn't dream of trying to get to those di sparkplugs. But I seem to have missed that bit in all the research I had done on the livernois tunes. I will probably have a shop look into it and set them properly at a later date, after I recover from overspending this on this round of mods, lol. 

No check engine lights so far, on any of the tunes, really. 

Quick Edit: I did some snooping around on the "best 93 gasoline" and ran across a unanimuos chorus of dodge charger owners saying shell gasoline throws error codes. That and the station I've been using is not a top tier looking place.... I think I'm going to try another station before I start going crazy looking for other problems.

Edited by ituhata
  • Like 1

93 v3 runs hot, driven in the 50s I never had issues. Hit it in the 80s and you are screwed towards end of run, I had car get stuck in gear for like 3 seconds and had to manually shift. Raising octane fixed the issue. Upped tune to race and it bogged down again, back to 93 and fine. 

My guess is it's the gas, LMS v3 tunes produce crazy power and will dial back if octane isn't there. Safety and all. They are equally happy to run on race gas. 

• Like 1

Im going to try running a few tanks of BP 93 instead of the shell I was going to. We'll see if maybe the gas at that shell is watered down or contaminated or someting.

For now it's running ok on the 91 tune, a little lag but no worse, or not much worse, than stock turbo lag

Eh, I don't want to get into mixing gases to get that working right. 

Yeah, once my car is around 40-60 the passing power is great, despite the lag. I feel like once it gets going it moves the needle faster than that one above.

Unfortunately, all my dashcam vids that had examples are gone because it likes to continue recording for hours even after the car is off. 

If i get a chance on the interstate, or actually make it to an open dragway for once, I'll post up. 

The dashcam speedometer is a cheap chinese thing that isnt terribly accurate after you pass 60, up around 100 to 110 i think it could be off by 5, so not guaranteed to be faster than yours, lol. 

EDIT: and really, with just an air filter and tune for power mods, I doubt I will. 

Edited by ituhata

2 things:

1: I went to put the 93 performance tune back for demo, and for whatever reason the calibrator refused to do anything but stock. it got flashed back to stock then back to the 93, and the lag went away for now. 

2: not sure I should upload these >_>

Also fyi for those wondering, after comparing notes, I think 037 is safely faster than I am, lol. 

Edited by ituhata
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I would have to say I’m also in the lms group. All 3 of my eco’s are down by them. My 3.5 has been running full bolt one with meth since day one. It’s at 200,000 now of very hard miles. Lots of drag strips. Street fun and towing. It’s been very solid. My edge 2.0 now has 50,000 miles o. It and I’ve been on the e30 tune for about 40,000 now. No issues at all. Even ran it for several with the cruise set at 120 while in Mexico. 

It’s been rock solid and easy to use my wife blend her e30 and has no issues.

My Rs has very few miles but I average 6.8 mpg over the 6,000 miles it has in the tune so it’s driven hard and held up to that. Not enough miles to know long term on that one. 

Very simple to use and very reliable.