New Edge ST's At Dealer But Now A Dilemma

vmaxbaby

So my local dealer called me to tell me they have two Edge ST's in even though I told them at least 4 different times I will not purchase a new vehicle in the winter time especially where I live because even the threat of snow they dump chemicals and salt on the road but they are salesman so I understand.  Anyhow I went down to take a look at them and talk about prices just to see where they are with them.  (Below is a link to the white one and they said they could do a little better than that)  anyhow while I was there he got started on the Explorer ST.  I have not done really any research on the Explorer because I need something bigger than my escape but felt the explorer was too big, too heavy, and would be that quick.  The salesman told me was that the Explorer will have the 10 speed Auto and according to him will get 2 mpg better than the Edge highway and for performance it will of course have a more HP than the current Explorer Sport which now is 365/350tq he was saying at least 400hp and over 400tq  but the real kicker it will be rear wheel drive like a truck and with a selector switch will kick in the front wheels.  If this is all true than now I am not sure which way to go :(  of course it will cost more he claims Explorers are about 2k more base price over Edge.  But if you get more room and faster for a few thousand more I would dig deeper in the pockets for that.  So just checking in with you guys to see if you have heard anything like what he is telling me or is it just him trying to up sale me on a more expensive product?  

I am going to the Washington DC auto show Jan 26, 2019 and you can believe I will be working over  the Ford booth about this info but figured I would bounce it off you all.  

https://www.malloyford.com/new/Ford/2019-Ford-Edge-Winchester-VA-b1569f4d0a0e0a6b0dfefdb81a990432.htm?searchDepth=12:15

All true about the new Explorer ST - 3.0L ecoboost 400/400.  Will probably be more than 2K above the Edge ST though and won’t show up until next summer.

The 10 speed auto is great - I have it in my F150 3.5LEB.   Explorer ST should be a rocket although I don’t expect it to get better mpg than the Edge - probably about the same.  I’m getting 21 mpg in mixed driving with my F150.  Got 25 on the highway this morning at 70 mph.

• Like 1

The 2019 Explorer Sport is at least 4k more than the Edge ST, even though it has less tech features & is based on a very old platform, so expect the all new Explorer ST to be considerably higher when equipped similarly to an Edge ST. 

Performance wise, even though it will be heavier, but being based on a new RWD platform and with the 10 speed auto, the tuning on the engine might give an edge over the Edge ST even in a straight line. The police version tested by Michigan State police was quick in a straight line and on a track than 5.7L Dodge Chargers.

• Like 1

Appreciate the info guys.   I went and looked at a 2018 Explorer Sport and it was nice but was also what I think is a little big but maybe that is because I drive a 2014 Escape so everything is big compared to that :)  Hopefully at the 2019 autoshow I can get some more info, I can't always trust what the sales people tell me.  Right now the explorer weights like 5K pounds and the Edge is 4500-4600 hundred so I was thinking it weights 4 to 500 hundred more and has only 20 more ft-lbs torque it won't be that much faster if any.. but maybe the 10 speed makes up the difference and it being a RWD.  I love the size of the edge it seems perfect for me and the wife so we will see what info gets leaked out between now and the time I am ready to order.

Thanks again for the info...

To bad the edge isn't RWD until you flip a switch or turn a dial like back in the day when I had a Ford Ranger 4x4.   My wife tells me I am over thinking it that this is my daily driver and I shouldn't be worried about HP since I have a modified GT500 that sits in the garage and I understand that LOL  but.... I still love performance and want my Daily to be somewhat fun as well.  She doesn't get it and I can't explain to her to be honest I don't understand it myself.  All I hear is the speed limit is only 70mph so what does it matter how fast she says..  :( 

2 hours ago, vmaxbaby said:

She doesn't get it and I can't explain to her to be honest I don't understand it myself.    :( 

You don't have to understand it, ...and you have a lot, ...I mean a lot, ...of company in that department. I am on my second Edge sport that I use for a 6 km daily commute.

Not sure about the Explorer, but I have never driven a vehicle that is as sure footed (especially in snow and ice) as the Edge ...and my other vehicle is a 4x4 truck. 

• Like 1

Back in 2011 when the then new Explorer first came out I went to a dealer intent on buying one.  So at the dealer I looked over the Explorer inside and out and siting right next to it happen to be a 2011 Edge.  We really did not need the three rows of seats and the 2nd row seat in Edge had more room that the 2nd in the Explorer.  And the Edge had more room in the cargo area unless one folded down the third row in the Explorer.  And upon driving the Edge sure was more nimble.  We drove the 2011 Edge AWD home in show storm and loved it.  And then traded for a 2013 and then a 2015 with each one improving and now we have the 19 ST which is a continued improvement way it seems so far.  I had it up on my hoist today to really check it over and it sure seemed well built with narry a leak or weep of any kind regarding water, engine or trans oil.  It appeared to be quite an engineering feat to put that twin turbo V6 and 8-speed trans in the chassis and tie it all together all-wheel drive wise.  It was all done neat and orderly.  So far am averaging 25.2 mpg overall so am surprised by that as well, of course no tearing around with it yet, just breaking it in decent like as did with other Fords and I have never had an oil consumption problem!  I bought this ST not to race around just to have a continued improved Edge with better handling and more power that the 2.0 had in the 2015.  Difficult to say if Ford will keep the Edge down the road with the new Explorer, Escape, Bronco and Ranger coming along!??

If its really ugly I drive my aluminum 2017 F-150 or 03 F-350 otherwise here in MN we are used to driving in whatever and wash them off often.  The EDGE AWD is better on icy roads then latest F-150 but of course if pushing snow or driving in deep snow them have to use F-150 up to a point otherwise use common sense and stay home till drifts cleared away.  On our country roads I have 9 foot blower on tractor to use when necessary.  Ford vehicles made to drive all year all weather but use common sense whatever that may be!!

• Like 1

He trades every two years by the look of it, most of us only keep our cars for four or five years, if that, or until it's paid for ?

I doubt that in the worst salt conditions that with weekly car washes there would be any rust perforation in 4 years, this would be a problem for the one person in a thousand that is going to keep the car forever. 

For me I don't want to have a brand new vehicle that I buy in winter and deal with the the salt and chemicals on a 2 week old new vehicle... I normally buy in spring Apr-May so I can enjoy it all summer and the newest goes away.. so when winter comes in Nov 2019 I will already have a paint chip or two so I will be fine driving it then, just want a few months without that.   Meantime I drive a 2014 Escape which I am okay with it getting trashed because it is going away soon :)

• Like 1