Probably what caused the st delay

Perblue

My ST (Oct. 18 build) definitely alerts me if have hands off the steering wheel longer than maybe 4 seconds when the lane sensing / adaptive cruise is engaged.  It is amazing how it will steer perfectly around curves in the road and then back straight again....unless the white line to the right is unpainted for an intersection, then it will jerk a bit to the right and then come back.  However it does sense even a very lite touch to the wheel....but will immediately alert your with beeps, text and orange illumination if you leave hands off or just hover your hands around the wheel for few seconds.  Shifting and mileage are very good in mine as have a stretch now of 450 miles at 27.5 mpg.

• Like 1

Mine does too but the article says some not all. So I'm thinking they found the bug and held the STs until they had a fix. The Nautilus was shipping and on lots before the edge/ST was and came with the more advanced driver assist features that the edge gets if it has the 301 or 401 package. 

I could be way off but made in same plant, same platform and similar features, likely similar issues. 

• Like 1

It is stated that the recal is "Issued by parent company Ford, the latest one addresses vehicles equipped with lane-centering assist and adaptive front steering." The 2019 Edge ST does not have Adaptive Steering. That is probably why the Edge is not included or effected by that recall.

• Like 1

Did they really remove it though? Seems odd it was on last years and not now. I know they don't  list it but there are lots of unlisted things now a days. It also seems like i move the wheel less than my old one on the highway but seems about the same as the 18 sport I drove.

• Like 1

To check, from my own experience:

1) Is the bottom spoke of the steering wheel hollow or filled? Hollow means without adaptive steering. 

2) Another test, with the engine off, turn the steering wheel a half turn or so, then start the engine, if it has adaptive steering the wheel will realign.

3) How many turns does it need to go from lock to lock? On a 2016 with Adaptive steering it is 2 turns only.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, omar302 said:

1) Is the bottom spoke of the steering wheel hollow or filled? Hollow means without adaptive steering

2) Another test, with the engine off, turn the steering wheel a half turn or so, then start the engine, if it has adaptive steering the wheel will realign.

3) How many turns does it need to go from lock to lock? On a 2016 with Adaptive steering it is 2 turns only.

Bottom spoke is hollow but it is 2 turns lock to lock to lock. Turned wheel with it off and steering wheel did nothing when turned back on. Not sure if this identified anything or not lol. 

8 hours ago, omar302 said:

1) Is the bottom spoke of the steering wheel hollow or filled? Hollow means without adaptive steering. 

I asked a Ford rep about adaptive steering and was told it is not available anymore. 

Well whatever we or Ford want to call it, my ST will steer itself and continue to do so as long as there are bright edge of road lines and it does slow down and maintain distance for coming up  to car in front as well.  Yes, I need to just barely touch the steering wheel so it knows I am THERE and I COULD take control but it WILL follow the road on its own; supposedly if deer were to run onto road it would apply brakes and also try to avoid an object blocking the lane by swerving around it....I have not tried or experienced that yet.

37 minutes ago, dacford said:

Well whatever we or Ford want to call it, my ST will steer itself and continue to do so as long as there are bright edge of road lines and it does slow down and maintain distance for coming up  to car in front as well.  Yes, I need to just barely touch the steering wheel so it knows I am THERE and I COULD take control but it WILL follow the road on its own; supposedly if deer were to run onto road it would apply brakes and also try to avoid an object blocking the lane by swerving around it....I have not tried or experienced that yet.

That isn't adaptive steering. Adaptive steering changes the steering ratio at certain speeds. What you described is lane keeping. If the recall only affected early nautilus's with both then it had no affect on the edge delay. It was a thought but looks to have been likely wrong.

Edited by Perblue
  • Like 2