First Oil Change

Chazberry

Owners manual says to not drive "too quickly" (whatever that means ?) for the 1st 1,000 miles while engine breaks in. If you really wanted to be safe, you could probably change the oil after that initial break in. The service intervals don't reference the need for the 1st oil change to be performed prior to the normal interval of 7,500 - 10,000 miles. Although I personally won't ever wait that long for oil changes because I drive a bit more spirited & my experience with turbo engines. This is one of those topics similar to "what oil brand should I use". I'm sure you'll get a range of answers across the board!

I'd say go with whatever makes you feel most comfortable. For what it's worth as a point of reference, the previous race engine I built had break-in oil until 400 miles, changed again at 600 miles, again at 1,000 miles and one last time at 1,300 with full synthetic.  The tolerances of the 2.7 eco boost are less aggressive so you should experience much less break in wear. If I had purchased my Sport new, I'd probably be changing it around 1,000 miles give or take. Like poster above though, I don't have technical info on the Edge in regards to that requirement outside what is referenced in the owners manual. 

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

"I don't think $8 is too pricey."

I guess I'm used to spending $5 for a spin-on and the cartridges for my GM L81 are less than that.

"Also,  I plan on replacing the drain plug every 4th or 5th oil change at $7"

Yes - I plan on keeping one of those on hand.

I don't mind the price of the filter nor the drain plug.  More than likely they are keeping with their tradition of using a plastic oil pan.  If they used a conventional oil pan we would have the option of using a Fumoto drain valve.  The fumoto would pay for itself over time.  I spoke with a rep and they stated that they are currently testing a new valve that will be compatible with the plastic oil pan. She said to check back in the summer time. 

40 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

I don't mind the price of the filter nor the drain plug.  More than likely they are keeping with their tradition of using a plastic oil pan . . .

I dunno - I think these car companies are pushing the envelope with the plastic.  I had a car with a plastic valve cover that turned out to be a disaster.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chazberry said:

I dunno - I think these car companies are pushing the envelope with the plastic.  I had a car with a plastic valve cover that turned out to be a disaster.

There's been a few reports here of the plastic pan seal leaking, but haven't seen any new reports lately.

No reports of problems with the plastic drain plug, nor the plastic camshaft covers.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chazberry said:

Not a lot of track record yet - what, 3 years?

Introduced with the 2015 Ford F-150 is a twin-turbo 2.7 L V6 EcoBoost engine. 

Correct, around 3 to 4 years, but still long enough to know if there's any major systemic issues.

https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/2018-winner-ford-f-150-27l-ecoboost-twin-turbo-v-6

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/04/best-ford-f-150-engine-smallest-one-can-buy/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 1/23/2019 at 1:37 PM, 1004ron said:

I did the first oil change myself at 3000 miles mainly to get it switched over to full synthetic early in its life.

I just bought my first Ford ever, a 2019 Edge Titanium this past Saturday so I've had it less than a week, but in regards to your post, don't many manufacturers these days already use synthetic oil in newer models? I asked my dealer this when I bought it but he didn't seem too sure. I use & love Mobil1 full synthetic with Mobil or K&M filters whenever possible, but I just thought I'd ask if you know for sure if Ford still ships vehicles with conventional oil today. Thanks...

2 minutes ago, Audiobrewery said:

I just bought my first Ford ever, a 2019 Edge Titanium this past Saturday so I've had it less than a week, but in regards to your post, don't many manufacturers these days already use synthetic oil in newer models? I asked my dealer this when I bought it but he didn't seem too sure. I use & love Mobil1 full synthetic with Mobil or K&M filters whenever possible, but I just thought I'd ask if you know for sure if Ford still ships vehicles with conventional oil today. Thanks...

Ford still uses a Synthetic Blend, but will do your lube service with Full Synthetic for an additional charge, or you can carry in your own oil and they'll give you about $5 off "The Works" deal.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 3:28 PM, Chazberry said:

Geez - these Oil Filters are pretty pricey for a naked cartridge!

FL2062.jpg

I don't know if it's just that now time has gone by and there might be aftermarket competition (though I couldn't find these at any auto parts store), but I get them for about $6 at my Ford dealer.

56 minutes ago, Jombi said:

I don't know if it's just that now time has gone by and there might be aftermarket competition (though I couldn't find these at any auto parts store), but I get them for about $6 at my Ford dealer.

I usually buy them on Amazon and have seen them for just over $5 at times, currently $7.

The K&N are only a little more on Amazon, which is what I use now.

My local Meijer and Walmart stock the Motorcraft FL-2062